Abstain from all appearance of evil.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tahpik

1st Thess 5:22 - Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I want to know what other people's thoughts are on this verse.

Do you think it simply says to stay away from evil things?
Do you think it says to stay away from something ONLY if it causes you to sin?

I personally think this verse can not be any simpler. It says to abstain from the appearance of evil. This means to refrain from doing evil things, such as, watching a TV show with sex scenes. Also, I think violent video games, such as, shooting and killing games fall into this category. If someone is enjoying killing, even if it is virtual, then I believe it is a sin. I think people come up with their own interpretations just so they can continue enjoying their sins.

Some people think I am going a little too far, but I always try to ask myself a question before doing things:

If God was literally sitting right beside me, would He approve of it?

What are your thoughts on this verse?

Remember: I strongly agree with what I just typed, but I also understand that I could also be wrong, so keep that in mind. ;)

May 15, 2013
Stay away from doing evil, keep the image of God.

B

bennybear

I have not thought about this enough as I have liked shoot-em-ups in the past but now that I think about it, I have to agree.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013

I personally think this verse can not be any simpler. It says to abstain from the appearance of evil. This means to refrain from doing evil things, such as, watching a TV show with sex scenes. Also, I think violent video games, such as, shooting and killing games fall into this category. If someone is enjoying killing, even if it is virtual, then I believe it is a sin. I think people come up with their own interpretations just so they can continue enjoying their sins.

Some people think I am going a little too far, but I always try to ask myself a question before doing things:

Remember: I strongly agree with what I just typed, but I also understand that I could also be wrong, so keep that in mind. ;)
Pretty simple instruction.
If anything even looks wrong, abstain from it.

I

Imperfect

it could be what you make of it. a sin that is not known to a man is not a sin to him. but what is known to be a sin to a man and proceeds to commit the sin is guilty.

C

CoooCaw

this is an unfortunate turn of phrase chosen by the KJV translators and abused by legalists over the centuries

Dec 9, 2011

Hello
I agree with what you stated and i believe for me it also shows me that i can/should help others this way also.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I think much of the instruction in this verse applies for the sake of a weak brother/sister. It may be fine for you but strike horror to the weaker one seeing it. I knew a well known pastor who wouldn't even buy Martinelli's Apple Cider lest someone recognize him and falsely conclude he is buying wine...and perhaps stumble as a result. This pastor was even avoiding that 'appearance of evil'. Yes, our freedom can appear evil to the weaker brother/sister.