Advice: Do you tell a sinner that they are sinning?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Missachu

This is a difficult question, especially when those people are grown adults or even older than you. Obviously no one is innocent and everybody knows what they are doing before they do it. But is it loving or the right thing to do to confront those people about those issues?

L

letti

I know,God would want you to do something about it.We love,in loving we should try to pull one out of sin lovingly.I would pray before any action is decided in all cases.No situation is exactly the same.Maybe it is just my opinion, but we should go about this with caution always considering all factors.Who the person is?Do you talk to them a lot?I don't know it is not always easy,but God has the solution.I'f all else fails,such as having a private conversation with this person,then I would keep praying for them.

M

Missachu

SO what your saying is that it is subjective to the situation?

D

DragonSlayer

Well, nowadays, it's seen hateful by many to condemn sin in other people ! So most people don't dare to tell the truth about sin, and they fear to condemn sin for fear to be called " hateful " !
It's funny how all ancient prophets were falsely accused of being hateful for condemning sin, and it's still the same thing today, but in a more subtle way.
No one should be condemned for telling the truth about sin, in a world where sin is seen as holiness,
and holiness is seen as sin ! We live in a world where right becomes wrong, and wrong becomes right. We live in a world where saints become criminals, and criminals become saints ! This is true ! Just take a look around and in all human history !

So yes, we should always tell a sinner that they are sinning, but with great diplomacy and understanding of course, just like the way you tell little children when they are doing mistakes ! That's why someone needs a lot of preparation before telling the whole truth about sin to other people ! For instance, the Lord called Moses to be a prophet to Israel after Moses spent 40 years in the desert being a shepherd, a student of the Holy Scriptures, a husband, and father, and a son in law !
Jesus began his Messianic minister after he was baptized when he was 30, and before that, Jesus spent many years being an adoptive son, an adoptive brother, a student of the Holy Scriptures with the pharisees in synagogues, a carpenter, a caring companion of Israelis, Romans, Greeks and all kinds of people from many origins, etc.

Anyway, to tell a sinner they are sinning is a minister, and it needs some preparation, for obviously when someone denounces sin, the father of sin will greatly attack that person in return, and will falsely accuse that person, that's fact.
It's a fierce combat against the evil one, and the Lord is by the side of anyone fighting against sin !

M

marrion

Try to resist the urge to correct them from a place of the flesh.In other words try not to judge them looking at them from the outside.I have been in the midst of sinful habits but God was working on my deliverance from the inside out without anybody knowing.It is very important to be SPIRIT LED in all we do.we can love someone without agreeing or condoning what they do until the Lord gives us a loving corrective word for that particular person.The Lord has given me warning dreams about friends of mine and in some cases I will be led to pray for them and in other cases I will be led to tell them and warn them but it is always motivated by LOVE and NOT FEAR.when Christians take it upon themselves to try and correct someone it most often at times is coming from a place of fear or worry for the particular persons wellbeing but we know that there is no fear in love and when we use fear as a motivation for correcting people we are at risk of puting them under a religious spirit where they will refrain from doing sinful activity out of fear and not love.We can also love someone into who they are to be in Christ.The way we live our lives is much more of a witness than what we think.People are always watching,especially if they know you are a Christian.

Dec 19, 2009
This is a difficult question, especially when those people are grown adults or even older than you. Obviously no one is innocent and everybody knows what they are doing before they do it. But is it loving or the right thing to do to confront those people about those issues?
Most people are defensive about their sin. They don't realize you are trying to help them. You need to be careful about trying to get people to repent, because you'll get yelled at a lot. Still, if you can find a way, then you have done a good thing.

S

savedandhopeful

I don't see anything wrong with confronting someone, as long as it is done in Christian love...

On the flip side....do you think it is wise or OK to confess sin to someone you trust? Even if it is not the person you have sinned against...( I am not trying to take this thread in a different direction....just asking to get opinions)

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
Whe you make a confession to someone make sure this is some you have know a long time and by their way of responding to others you will know the kind of fruit this will bring.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
You could point out how the sin is hurting them or possible consequences that they might have to face because of the sin. Hopefully, the conversation will turn to God and you can gently ask if they've read the Bible or heard about salvation through Jesus Christ.

When I think back to all the people I met before I was 30 and how VERY FEW ever mentioned God or Christ, I'm rather hurt that they didn't try to tell me about something that was so important. Take the risk, but be wise and thoughtful.

There's a saying...."people don't care what you have to say UNTIL they know you care". Show love and concern for the individual first before bringing a sin into the conversation.

Praying for wisdom and guidance for you :).

U

Ugly

Often times the concept of pointing out their specific sins causes a negative backlash. On the other hand, taking a broader perspective, such as that the person is a sinner, just like you and everyone else, can be Less confrontational. And not as likely to be resisted. And to simply point out they're a sinner is useless without offering the solution. So no, saying 'you're a sinner' and leaving it at that, won't work. Give the whole story, or none of it.

Sep 5, 2013
Reminds me of something Cosby said in his 'pound cake' speech.

He said he couldn't get away with anything when he was a child because behind every drawn curtain was an eye.

By the time his mother got off the bus and reached the house she knew where he'd been, who he was with, who'd been in the house Etc.

Basically we used to get in everyone else's business and therefore it was harder to get away with anything, now people don't seem to care anymore. Nobody is willing to get in other people's business anymore, and that's a major factor in the downfall of our society.

Z

zaoman32

I agree with what Ugly said for the most part. 9 times out of ten there will be a backlash, so you need to be prepared. I've done this twice in the past year. One person I constantly was hinting at the fact that something they were doing was wrong, and they definitely started feeling guilty, and after I had to be more blunt with them, they got angry with me and quit talking to me completely for about a week or two (which was awkward since it was I coworker I saw nearly everyday), that was someone who was a friend, but not real close. I also did it once with someone who I was extremely close with. He was extremely prideful, and constantly picking at other peoples beliefs that were separate from his. I had known this fact about him for a while, and just never mentioned it to him, but eventual it came to a point where I was left with no choice, when he started calling other friends of mine heretics, and accusing them of worse. In this case the retaliation was so bad that this person straight up told me that I what I told him was wrong and he refused to accept it, and now we don't talk anymore. Bottom line is, it is something that needs to be handled with extreme delicacy, and not a small amount of prayer.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
It's not only loving, it's biblical.

I

intercessorginger

If a sinner is sinning they are doing what comes naturally. If they sin a lot... they are good sinners! We were too, before we came to know the Lord and learned a better way!
Always aim for the heart and the deep needs for God that is there. Let them know how much God loves them and God will do the convicting.