Advice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lovepink774

I'm 15 I've been raised in a christian/baptist household. There has never been debate with clothing and wearing short shorts or tank tops. I personally want to change to being more modest and conservative with the way I dress by wearing skirts and less exposing apparel. For anyone who has this belief how do you deal with the questions, people not understanding, and the temptation when you are shopping? Any suggestions?

S

Seth

If it were me in your shoes, I would say something like:

"I prefer not to be pedophile bait."

if anyone asked. Who could really say otherwise? But, they will think what they will. Just know you're in the right for doing so.

I don't know about the shopping temptations... As I'm not a woman. You's gonna have to ask someone else about that one!

Good luck.

L

Live_Love_Believe

i think seth pretty much summed it up. lol

A

Aqua_Girl09

The way i do it is i think "if there is a church event will i be ok wearing this?" "if i was the pastor's daughter and he took me to visit another church would i be embarrassed?" If you can't wear the clothing everywhere then you shouldn't buy it. (swim wear of course i'm a little more loose about, a tank top and shorts over my swim suit)

when it comes to resisting buying it well. . . .anything that i can't wear i end up throwing away. SOO why spend money on something that you can't even wear anywhere?

I want to be an example for others to see and say "so THATS how a real christian acts" if i'm acting the same as any other soul of the world then they'll think "well she did it why can't I?" you have to remember that your life is not your own. its God's and hes using you to show his awesome power and love. >_^

plus idk how well you know the male mind but i their thoughts can go wrong over jeans that are too tight. so showing too much skin or too tight clothing is making them stumble big time and i want to help my brothers in Christ. not have them avoid me cause they're trying to stay pure.

B

Be_Evergreen

The way I deal with others questioning the way I dress is: can't change their way of thinking nor always make them respect the way I think, but what I CAN do is be secure and proud to be the individual that I am! :) I have had to tell my mother, "No, I don't feel comfortable wearing that", or my best friend, "No, that's not me". They get frustrated, but when out shopping, that's when I like to just goof around with it. Try something completely ridiculous on and make them laugh. And if you see something you're tempted to buy, that you Know isn't conservative enough? Just start praying for strength and walk away.

The excuse of "That isn't me" is very useful in doing away with peer pressure, and assuring yourself that you are making the right choices- and it's honest!

It is hard to find clothes though that aren't "in style", for what is in style is often very sensual and flirty. You can still buy clothes that support things you love though, and what you stand for.

Last edited:

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
There's nothing wrong with being a hipster - going against the flow is what Christians generally do.
Make a difference, there's nothing wrong with wearing a dress in public. And the other above commenters mentioned some good ways to deny a shabby pair of clothing. :)

U

Ugly

I think the 'pedophile bait' is a bad idea. For one, if it wasn't part of your reasoning, then you're lying about your decision rather than being bold about your reasons. Don't make excuses, and don't try to make shocking answers that you hope will just shut people up, like using the word pedophile. If someone asks, just be honest, just say 'this is how i choose to dress.' Or even 'i have respect for myself, and i let that respect show in how i choose to dress'. Or make a statement of faith, 'God has put it in my heart to dress modestly and i'm making a decision to follow His will.' Any of those are better than 'pedophile bait'.
Stay away from 'shock' answers and don't be afraid to be honest and bold.

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
I completely agree with Ugly!

Aug 2, 2009
Just tell them straight up, "This is how I like to dress." or, "I don't like wearing shorts (or tank tops)." Or just say, "I like dressing modestly".

You don't have to make a bold statement if you don't want to.

J

Jullianna

I agree. Dress modestly, as you feel led, and don't feel that you need to make excuses. :)

Isn't it funny how the world CLAIMS that they want to be individuals, but they expect us to all dress and act alike? :) Pretty silly, huh?

Just be the lady God has called you to be. He's the only one you need to answer too, except your parents, of course. And I can't imagine that they will mind you dressing modestly. :)

God bless you for your stance! You WON'T regret it. Dressing modestly can save you a LOT of grief down the road where men are concerned. :) Been there. ;)

A

Aqua_Girl09

Its also i way to share you faith with your friends. cause when the see that you refuse to wear that kind of clothing they'll know that you're serious about your walk with God. you don't have to dress like a grandma to be a christian but you take God into account in EVERYTHING. including they way you dress.

P

pockets14

Dressing modestly not only helps yourself, it helps your brothers in Christ to not look at you wrongly. Also, you are putting out a statement of faith and respecting your future husband by not being too revealing.
:)

Calmador

Jun 23, 2011
I'm 15 I've been raised in a christian/baptist household. There has never been debate with clothing and wearing short shorts or tank tops. I personally want to change to being more modest and conservative with the way I dress by wearing skirts and less exposing apparel. For anyone who has this belief how do you deal with the questions, people not understanding, and the temptation when you are shopping? Any suggestions?
I think its good to dress modestly, no question about it.

Honor your father and mother

On temptation... look away, run away, and avoid any sense detection of temptation. It helps.

J

jdarling

I don't feel the same way as you. However, you might politly explain that you feel more comfortable in less reveling clothing. There are many people who feel the same way you do.