Afraid I have committed Blasphemy?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

passionforguitar

I was just having a regular day until I read the frightening passage in Scripture last night.

I was terrified, horrible thoughts about God doing things through the power of [ you know who, not Voldemort haha ] came into my mind.

I was scared then repented.

I woke up today thinking " Those were some dumb thoughts. " then repented again.

Now in the afternoon today I had some really bad thoughts, it was things like wanting bad things/slander to be done against the Holy Spirit.
Once again, I got scared and repented.

I didn't think any of the God doing power through [ you know who ] thoughts today.

But I continuously thought about slander and making the Spirit feel bad. I didn't mean them truly, they were more so out of anger towards the Holy Spirit because I had these thoughts in the first place [ which I realize now is really foolish ].

But I was worried I committed blasphemy by thinking bad things should be done to the Spirit, once again, I realize those were dumb thoughts now.

I repented again. I told God he knew my heart, and I didn't commit blasphemy. But since he knows my heart, he knows those bad thoughts about slander. Will he condemn me?!

I never did anything out of malicious, true hatred for God. Because although I have struggled with my faith for much of my life, I do want to be obedient and love him.

But I've struggled with this for about 2 weeks, the sin gets worse and worse every day.

How do I make this stop? Did I commit this sin?! And how do I have assurance of my Salvation?

Last edited by a moderator:

blondensmart

Room Moderator
Staff member
Jan 19, 2014
I'm not sure if I'm "supposed" to reply to this thread because I'm far from a "young" adult. However, it caught my eye. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is something that is done with evil intent. And I think you have the God doing things through the power of the devil a little mixed up. Blasphemy is when you say that something that you know beyond the shadow of a doubt God did was done by satan. So, it is attributing the works of God to be works of the devil. I certainly hope that helped you out a bit.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I was just having a regular day until I read the frightening passage in Scripture last night.

I was terrified, horrible thoughts about God doing things through the power of [ you know who, not Voldemort haha ] came into my mind.

I woke up today thinking " Those were some dumb thoughts. " then repented again.

Now in the afternoon today I had some really bad thoughts, it was things like wanting bad things/slander to be done against the Holy Spirit.

I didn't think any of the God doing power through [ you know who ] thoughts today.

But I continuously thought about slander and making the Spirit feel bad. I didn't mean them truly, they were more so out of anger towards the Holy Spirit because I had these thoughts in the first place [ which I realize now is really foolish ].

But I was worried I committed blasphemy by thinking bad things should be done to the Spirit, once again, I realize those were dumb thoughts now.

I repented again. I told God he knew my heart, and I didn't commit blasphemy. But since he knows my heart, he knows those bad thoughts about slander. Will he condemn me?!

I never did anything out of malicious, true hatred for God. Because although I have struggled with my faith for much of my life, I do want to be obedient and love him.

But I've struggled with this for about 2 weeks, the sin gets worse and worse every day.

How do I make this stop? Did I commit this sin?! And how do I have assurance of my Salvation?
You committed no sin. Your assurance of salvation is through the shed blood of Jesus. If you have accepted this sacrifice and allowed Jesus into your heart He will be with you your entire life. I believe that what you have described is quite common and will pass with time. For every bad thought you have with the Holy Spirit have two good thoughts. If this problem persist you will need to speak to someone that has knowledge in this area. I have said a prayer for you.

R

Ringer

Hello there.
Well, first of all we only accept the love we think we deserve, until we know God.
A lot of your guilt and turmoil stems likely from the fact that you really have difficulty understanding God's character. I don't think anything I say can really make you feel less guilty, but I can tell you that everyone has assurance of Salvation if they can bring themselves to accept God's love and grace knowing that they do not deserve it.

Take care of yourself =)

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
The fact that you are worried about it tells me you have not blasphemed. A true blasphemer wouldn't care about it.

Jan 24, 2009
I'm not sure if I'm "supposed" to reply to this thread because I'm far from a "young" adult. However, it caught my eye. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is something that is done with evil intent. And I think you have the God doing things through the power of the devil a little mixed up. Blasphemy is when you say that something that you know beyond the shadow of a doubt God did was done by satan. So, it is attributing the works of God to be works of the devil. I certainly hope that helped you out a bit.
We are far from old!

I

IloveyouGod

There is no unforgiving sin except the sin that is without repentance. :)
Always make sure your relationship with God is in progress and is not stopped at one stage.