Afraid of the Holy Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusFreak1992

Queen of Hearts
Apr 26, 2022
Kansas City
Hello all! I have been working on myself and my relationship with God and have now realized fully that the Holy Spirit, for sure, resides in me.
This is hard to explain and I pray someone will understand what I’m saying. Ok so I talk to the Holy Spirit indirectly in my mind. Which is why I get frustrated bc I wonder why He isn’t answering me and why I’m talking to myself? Well I had a realization that it’s because I’m afraid of God. I have a fear big time of the Holy Spirit and when I realized this, I said directly to Him in a question, “Holy Spirit,” as in, a are you there fashion.. and He said “Yes” and it scared be greatly.
I can feel myself (my spirit maybe?) Hide within myself..
Has anyone else discovered anything like this about themselves? I’m very in tune with my mind, body, soul, and heart and spirit.
I have recently repented and turned from my ways and am on the straight and narrow. Please help and give me your thoughts?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Hello all! I have been working on myself and my relationship with God and have now realized fully that the Holy Spirit, for sure, resides in me.
This is hard to explain and I pray someone will understand what I’m saying. Ok so I talk to the Holy Spirit indirectly in my mind. Which is why I get frustrated bc I wonder why He isn’t answering me and why I’m talking to myself? Well I had a realization that it’s because I’m afraid of God. I have a fear big time of the Holy Spirit and when I realized this, I said directly to Him in a question, “Holy Spirit,” as in, a are you there fashion.. and He said “Yes” and it scared be greatly.
Has anyone else discovered anything like this about themselves? I’m very in tune with my mind, body, soul, and heart and spirit.
I have recently repented and turned from my ways and am on the straight and narrow. Please help and give me your thoughts?
Why do you fear the Holy Spirit...

You quote 1 John 4:16 in your post
::And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

God is Love and the Holy Spirit is One with God.. So why would anyone indwelled by the Holy Spirit fear Him?

I can understand why some unsaved people would fear God.. But a Christian who has the Holy Spirit thats a mystery to me..

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Why do you fear the Holy Spirit...

You quote 1 John 4:16 in your post
::And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

God is Love and the Holy Spirit is One with God.. So why would anyone indwelled by the Holy Spirit fear Him?

I can understand why some unsaved people would fear God.. But a Christian who has the Holy Spirit thats a mystery to me..
Yes. While it is true that the Holy Spirit's correction, and discipline when we sin, can seem a little scary, He is there as a COMFORTER to let us know how loved we are, and the discipline is for our good.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Hmm I’m not sure I can relate to this.
I don’t fear God or the Holy Spirit. I love them instead and I need them as I need the air to breathe.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
That feeling is not from God, dear one. If you look at the scriptures, you will see that the Holy Spirit, who is part of the Holy Trinity of God, is the Comforter. He is not scary at all. He whispers gently in your ear and guides you in all your troubles.

Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (KJV)

selahsays

May 31, 2023
The Holy Spirit IMG_5699.gif

"However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

- John 16:13-14
~~~
Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

- Isaiah 30:21

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
RIGHT BACK ATCHA MAGENTA!!! HAVE MISSED YOU! How are things??
I cannot believe this year is almost over already! Somehow the time seems to be flying by. I went back
to work just over a year ago also after being off since mid-March 2020, and that has been good, too.
When my boss first called to ask, I thought to myself, are you kidding me??? I'm retired!!! LOL But semi-
retirement has its perks. Mostly I needed a reason to get dressed and walk out my door. When I say that
to people they think I was lacking purpose in my life. No, no, no! I was simply lacking movement.

I remember when I was in a phase of feeling like - Oh my God! God chose me! Whatever in the world did
God choose me for and how in the world can I ever live up to His expectations of me? I think that may be
a natural response to recognizing and acknowledging His incredibly awesome power and total
dominion
and sovereignty over all of life. How can we not feel small and somewhat insignificant in comparison?
Settling in to accepting that He lives inside of you and wants the best for you may take some time that
could be augmented with prayer about receiving and grounding yourself in God's special love for you.

I gotta run (dental appointment). I hope you are well! Please visit us more often .:D

Pardizzle

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I am curious myself, as to why you have this fear of God? I fear God as well, but its more of a respect kinda fear...if ya know what I mean. It's like with firearms.....you should respect them and know the harm they can do if not treated properly; or how you fear a father figure (its more of a fear of what could happen if you are disrespectful, or mistreat the person). I hope this is helpful to you!

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Godly fear comes in two kinds: the sort that draws us to seek God and the kind that makes us run away and want to hide from Him because we’re afraid of Him. Oh that everyone might come to know God, to know His goodness and His love for His children; we call Him, “Father“ …. —selah

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens? Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket, or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance? Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the earth was founded? Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

- Isaiah 40:11-12,21,26,28,31

Dec 3, 2023
Same as you.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The Holy Spirit makes the 'flesh' very uncomfortable and the flesh is probably very afraid of the Holy Spirit because the two oppose each other.

You will have to choose which one you want leading you.... gonna walk by the Spirit or gonna walk by the flesh...

Keep in mind, the flesh just gets us in trouble and behaves very selfishly; whereas the Holy Spirit is amazing and fun and lifegiving and freeing, and comforting, great counsel, great leadership, so much wisdom, guidance.... on and on....

Go with the Holy Spirit!!! Don't be afraid of what others think about you! Be a God chaser! :love: (y)

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Yes, it's normal. I would say everyone on earth is afraid of him and when you stop you are in heaven. 😆 although in a sense it's probably always a little there since he's so strong.

I lucid dream and astral project. There was a time an angel held my hand spiritually as I was getting ready to get out of my body. I actually grabbed onto my husband in real life with my other spiritual hand. I've obviously dabbled in the spiritual and I still get scared.

Even if I'm just praying and talking to God I will do the same thing sometimes and lean into my husband laying there. I know God loves me more than my husband but I still get scared at times.

For me it comes down to the fact that God is actually very strong. I met a God like being in a dream and whether it was God or an angel they were so strong that the place was shaking when he spoke out loud. I do wonder if that's why God tends to whisper to us instead. Otherwise I'd have a panic attack every time he spoke. 😆 jk

I don't understand the spiritual realm.... really at all. Even though I explore aspects of it such as dreams, which I believe are spiritual places. As far as I know I've never been to heaven... although I will say I've been to places breathtaking with God flying beside me in them.

listenyoumustAll

Jul 22, 2021
congrats on being born again , adopted into the kingdom of the Son of God (Jesus) .
Matthew 12:43-44(KJV) When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.

I would suggest that you fill your house with word .the holy spirit will bring to remembrance then when you confront adversities and temptation . one express way to hear from God is through his written word . I pray you remain zealous for God as God has began a good work in you in Jesus name . God bless

Mar 4, 2024
Just repeat the name Jesus over and over in prayer and then sit quietly and wait for His presence. He may quicken a scripture to you or put something/someone in your heart to pray for. Your mind will wonder and your flesh will want to get up and go write a letter to someone, or you’ll get really sleepy. This is what we all need to work on.