• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

I was thinking about this last night before I went to sleep. There is such a simple, precious innocence that comes with youth. But there is also the warmth of wisdom that comes with age. While I mourn a certain loss of innocence in my life...an amazing treasure...I have come to value other things as well.

How do you think your age affects your relationships with the opposite gender?

How do you think it affects dating in general?

How does it affect your perspective on life?

Has it caused you to view the world differently over time or how you view others?

I

intercessorginger

Different Generations might relate to each other differnt ways. If I was dating I probably would stay within my age range just because we share memories and expectations.

How does it affect your perspective on life? Each generation is faced with different circumstances. It does effect your outlook and some of your views. One person around my age, after trying to communicate with a much younger person in a shop..turned to me and said, "He doesn't speak my language" .....I think that says it all.

J

Jullianna

You hear that age is just a number and in some cases that's true, as life experience also plays a tremendous role. But there are other things like points of reference that affect communication, huh?

There are times in your life when dating for fun and entertainment are okay, mostly when you are younger. :) But, there comes a time when that isn't enough. You've had the fun and entertainment, and want more than that. Something deeper, something richer. Fun too...but it's not the priority.

A wierd thing I've been seeing recently is that even within your OWN age group this can be a thing. There are a lot of young people out there who are in the fun having stage, while others their age find themselves in more serious circumstances. In my own age group, I've met a lot of guys who have been married and eventually want to again, but they need some time alone to adjust, have some fun, heal, start life over again. Getting involved with them doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

I think about being with someone considerably older and wonder whether he would enjoy the things I do or whether I sound silly to him. I think about being with someone considerably younger and wonder when another ex-gf will call me something akin to a meanieface doodoohead (don't laugh...actually happened :) ).

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I think about being with someone considerably younger and wonder when another ex-gf will call me something akin to a meanieface doodoohead (don't laugh...actually happened :) ).
I'm sorry, I laughed. I couldn't help it.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I'll agree that the innocence of youth is a precious treasure. Some of us lost it waaaay too early in life, and I thank God that in some ways a lot of what I lost as a child was restored as an adult. I really think that "warmth of wisdom" is more of an experience thing than an age thing. I know of some adults our age that really aren't too bright because they either lack the experience, or just have refused to learn the lessons of those experiences.

I've always had good friendships with ladies, so not much has changed in that area that I can think of off hand.

I think that for most of as we mature "dating" becomes more serious. We're less likely to randomly date just to have fun and more likely to only date persons we see as having potential to be a life partner. The biggest change that I've seen as I've aged is that the number of ladies who don't have serious baggage is greatly reduced. So many people have been wounded by prior relationships and rather than growing from the experiences they've allowed those experiences to make them jaded and bitter. It doesn't help that many people have no problem being just friends with someone with a past, but won't contemplate anything more serious regardless of how apparent it is that the past is long gone.

Honestly with the things I've experienced in my life both caused by myself and caused by others I should be one of those jaded and bitter people I referenced. Somehow through all of it I've gained a lot of wisdom, but have been granted the grace to continue to maintain a positive view of people and take them at face value.
Sure, my life is far from perfect and it is reaaallly far from what I would have perceived it to be 20 years ago, but God is still on the throne and nothing has happened that he didn't foresee, so how can I complain?

N

nw2u

I think intercessorginger hit the mark, but there are always exceptions to every rule. Seems to me communication is the key.

tom38

Aug 8, 2012
You hear that age is just a number and in some cases that's true, as life experience also plays a tremendous role. But there are other things like points of reference that affect communication, huh?

There are times in your life when dating for fun and entertainment are okay, mostly when you are younger. :) But, there comes a time when that isn't enough. You've had the fun and entertainment, and want more than that. Something deeper, something richer. Fun too...but it's not the priority.

A wierd thing I've been seeing recently is that even within your OWN age group this can be a thing. There are a lot of young people out there who are in the fun having stage, while others their age find themselves in more serious circumstances. In my own age group, I've met a lot of guys who have been married and eventually want to again, but they need some time alone to adjust, have some fun, heal, start life over again. Getting involved with them doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

I think about being with someone considerably older and wonder whether he would enjoy the things I do or whether I sound silly to him. I think about being with someone considerably younger and wonder when another ex-gf will call me something akin to a meanieface doodoohead (don't laugh...actually happened :) ).
There is something for everyone, I guess it just comes down to what each individual wants.

P

Powemm

it's all a gift. .. Childhood reminds the "seasoned" generation to keep the smile of laughter in their life, a reminder not to loose a childlike faith . While the seasoning of age gives a well told story filled with wisdom to the young. The combination of both together , brings a flavorful harvest of " life" to the forefront .
I love getting together with both seasoned and unseasoned people. There is an opportunity to be seasoned and season in both.

Jul 25, 2005
1. The women I've dated have been younger than me my a differential of two years. I think they were looking for something between a boyfriend and a dad. The women I am interested in would find me too young, and I am still trying to figure out women my age.

2. It limits my choices considerably. I want to find someone in the same state as I am in life. It's apparently rare.

3. I am reminded of my strengths and weaknesses. Both of which are considerable.

4. Part of me views life as a grand journey unraveling before me. At the same time I've gained perspective with each passing year. Sometimes that hurts.

J

Jullianna

Their blinders will come off one day, Ritter. Be there. :) You are, indeed, rare, my friend.

A

adekruif

The older I've grown the more i've learned to respect the opposite gender. I was raised that way, and now that i'm on my own it's only grown.

The older you get the more you appreciate what really matters in a dating/marriage relationship. The world paints the picture of what they think dating is supposed to be and the older you get, you start seeing the holes/flaws. Even before I was saved I didn't think it was an ideal way to find a partner.

I think it depends a little on your current place in life but in general I think my perspective has changed for the worse. Just seeing/understanding the lying/cheating/bribing/etc. that you miss when you are younger, changes your view of the world
Has it caused you to view the world differently over time or how you view others?
Yeah, Don't trust anyone. haha

C

Cari99

Age doesn't matter to me (though I am attracted to men at least two years my senior), however I believe age matters to them. It depends on the person I suppose.

I don't think it affects dating at all, once the attraction is there and you have already commenced dating.

My perspective on life (or a small insignificant part of life) is that men (or boys, as you will) mature slower than women. That's why I need someone older who is at my maturity level.

Not really. Everyone, the world, is still pretty the same.

Jul 25, 2005
My perspective on life (or a small insignificant part of life) is that men (or boys, as you will) mature slower than women. That's why I need someone older who is at my maturity level.
I've come to the conclusion that men and women mature at similar rates, but in different ways.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
I was thinking about this last night before I went to sleep. There is such a simple, precious innocence that comes with youth. But there is also the warmth of wisdom that comes with age. While I mourn a certain loss of innocence in my life...an amazing treasure...I have come to value other things as well.

Interesting thought, Jewels.

Well, psychologically there are several factors. The very young are usually innocent, unassuming, and blissfully oblivious to this whole love, lust, romance game of chance, some might say providence, and just life. We become aware, and things start off awkward, but somewhat positive.

This is where, sadly, we often find a turn or intervention of unfortunate events, vice, ext that can either be tough, growing experiences, or the making of what was discussed via references to baggage, being jaded, and other general and specific forms of pain, loss, cynicism, negativity, ext.

Now, for many this is the case, and for others it is not. Perversion or purity? Regression or maturity? There are many choices we must make each day, experience, and fork in our journey.

For me, well, I suppose I've never had much trouble with gender. There are some areas I struggle with. I find it difficult to hand people of other sexual orientations than hetero, but I try my best to love, life with, and understand them as I believe Christ did and does.

Really, most of my problems lay with age, so to speak. I've lived my life in many adult situations, Christian from before birth, and not often around those my age. This lead to a sort of disconnect with my generation. Those younger often take a shine to me, and those older even more so. Ironically, within my generation, those with, shall we say, the most problems, seem drawn to me.

I appreciate this. I believe it is Christ in me, and broken, selfish, and sinful as I am, I will do my best to try and die that Christ may live in and through me. It's really hard, but I can do no else.

The short answer: Yes and no. Regardless of general or collective experience, most everything always depends on the individual.

Well, age, as place of life, will affect everything from how you relate, to how you feel, to how you act, to what you believe, and the list goes on. Some things are transcendent, but most often, people change. Nearly everything changes! It's a fact, lesson, and part of the intrigue of life.

That said, it affects dating in how one views it, treats it, experiences it, and even feels it. Physiologically, hormones, emotions, and other things vary dependent on age. There are also social and cultural aspects to consider. Not to mention belief structure, background (as in how, where, when the individual was raised), experiences, and further list of factors, facets, and frustrations.

Short Answer: Again, it depends on the individual. Age can play a part, as most commonly found, but it's not the sole factor of who or how a person is.

Well, for one, each stage of your life sees from different perspectives. Seeing a world through child's eyes is often innocent, naive, straightforward, and simple.

Arguably, as one grows, it becomes complicated, more difficult, sometimes wise, sometimes jaded or cynical, practiced, deliberate, and transformative.

As you mature (different from growing), though you might not have all the answers, you begin to figure things out a bit. You learn, change, struggle, and become (possibly) who you were made to be (or not). The pieces of life, as well as its grander universals, are different now, and you accept, realize, and take comfort in your understanding (or lack thereof). Not to mention of variety of other reasons...

Short Answer: Noticing a theme? It depends on the individual. Often pursuits change, as do behaviors, desires, ext. The choices, experiences, and focuses of our lives shape what perspectives we hold.

I would hope so! Unless you came into this world with the wisdom of God, then not changing would be a sad, failure (for lack of a better word) of who you are and what your life could be. Now, often these changes and choices can be for the worse. This is not what I'm referencing.

My point of reference, ideally, is joyful, painful, sad, angering, beautiful, boring, complicated, simple, plethora of things that make life what it is. We live, die, love, grow, change, move, work, play, and do our best to better reflect God, live with and in Him, understand, and ultimately fulfill our general and specific reasons for existing.

Other schools of though argue with me, and that's more than fine. This is what I have come to know, test, and believe. We all do this, and by such manners are our lives lived.

*A few things this made me think of...

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / U2 - YouTube

1 Corinthians 13:8-12 NIV1984 - Love never fails. But where there are - Bible Gateway

P.S. If you didn't read in the quote box...most of my answers to the questions are there...might what to go back... ^^

Last edited:
M

mommy_of_goober

I know I am more mature than I used to be, but I don't think we could ever stop learning about how to truly love the person we are with, no matter how old we get!