All Christian Mothers!!! I need advice!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mileysmommy

I am pregnant with a baby girl, and due November 9th. :)

Can anyone give me any advice or pointers on how to raise a respectful, modest, loving, well mannered women of God?

Thank you!!

M

Mcokha

Congratulations on your baby

Hide your baby girl in the Lord, pray for her and finaly teach a child in the way they should go and when they grow old they will never depart from it... most importantly be an example to your baby let her see christianity in you... the bible Christianity! There is no three step program... Its Christ, remember unlike other religions we Christians don't give birth to Christians so re-direct the baby to the Lord and she will be safe... my wife is due in March next year!

P

psychomom

Wow! I appreciate your love for your daughter, and your wish to raise her in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. (Eph. 6:4, which is a command to fathers...but still...) We could fill books on what to do and not do. (the "not do" we have learned from sad experience) But all parents on this earth are human, and we all fail to do the perfect job we wish we could do for our kiddos. Be prepared for that (I was not).
I think this is something you will grow into. There are obvious things, like take yourself and your daughter to church. Feed yourself on the Word of God every day. Your body would get weak from lack of food, and your spirit will, too. (this I also learned the hard way!) Ask God to open your eyes to see the truth He has for you in His Word. If possible, join with some other Christian mommies in "real life". And your church may be able to point the way to a mentor; an older mom who might be able to answer questions.

I did read two books in raising kids when I first was blessed with a child. One was by Chuck Swindoll--"You and Your Child" (it's an old book, and our of print, but it's still available some places), and the other by James Dobson--"Dare to Discipline", which you won't need for a while. (I have heard it's been rewritten a bit, and my friends who read it as young mothers don't like the new edition their children are reading, so I recommend it with some hesitation.)
I've also heard a lot of good things about "Shepherding a Child's Heart"by Ted Tripp. I can't speak to the doctrinal positions of these authors, but I was blessed by their advice on parenting. Natch, take all with a grain of salt. They're not the Lord, but He will give you the wisdom you'll need to take the good ideas and discard the rest.
The best advice I can give is be consistent. The rules you make for your home are the rules, no matter how tired you become. If we enforce a rule at times, and not at others, it causes confusion at first, and then our kiddos learn we can be manipulated. Their natures are as sinful as ours (IMO), and that's why they depend on our guidance, as we do on the Lord's. When she gets older and can understand, let her know what you expect from her, and what the consequences of disobedience will be. Then be sure to follow through.
Meanwhile (and always) love her, love her, love her. :) Which will be easy. Though it may become difficult to feel when she gets older and can rebel, love is so much more than a feeling! True love (like God's love- our best example of it) does what's in the child's best interests even when she hates us for it.

Sorry to go on and on---as I said, we could write books! ;)
Wishing God's best for you and your baby girl-
ellie

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Yes...James Dobson's 'Dare to discipline' is great! Without discipline, these cute little bundles of joy can become the littlest tyrant of a household ;). But you have to keep in mind....discipline starts when they're old enough to understand. You CANNOT spoil a newborn baby.

Taking care of a newborn baby will definitely teach you what sacrificial love really is :)

W

wwjd_kilden

Congrats!

Be all the things you want her to be :) Kids learn more from what they see and hear you do than from what you tell them to do.

A

answers

My advice could amount to a lot of things that may or may not apply to you and your sweet pea, but I will share some things that have been good for me.

Realizing I know zip (only God knows) this allows me to keep growing as my kids grow.

Remembering to live with open eyes (God's word).

To live a life style I want my children to live.

Utilizing every God given opportunity to teach my children right from wrong, love of Jesus and trickery from Satan, and so on.

Accountability from actions (myself and my children) I remember the first time my daughter blamed me for her being in trouble. I explained calmly how her action was made by her therefore her consequence is her own, not moms. With that said I will hold myself accountable for my mistakes with my kids present or not.

Never to want something so much that it is at my children's expense (hanging out with someone where my kids are exposed to something that jeopardizes their holy spirit, or wanting to watch something more than spend time with them, and so on).

Read the bible, pray together, and discuss his word during the kids life experiences (teaching how it applies to life).

Knowing I am going to make mistakes, but learning from them while teaching the kids how to overcome circumstances themselves.

Instilling self worth, confidence, open mind, and spirituality.

The fact the you are seeking advice shows how great of a mom you will soon be. I pray for the health of you and your baby and may God bless you both greatly. Said with love!

L

Leek

The Lord say " let your yes be yes and your Nobel no" . In life we can be undecided especially with our kids, let them know that you are there for them. You are given the privalage to be this precious little princess' parent. So often these days I see the parents trying to be their kids best friends instead of their parent. What raises respectful children is a parent who loves their child enough to say no and to show them boundries. Read them stories from the bible and sing Christian songs to them from the word go... Most of all love them no matter what and take your cares to the Lord.

S

shekaniah

Congrats!

Be all the things you want her to be :) Kids learn more from what they see and hear you do than from what you tell them to do.
I agree with this...

But add...start praying for her future now...
Read her the bible often...
When I was a toddler my grandma use to read me the bible before bed.
I didn't understand a lot of it...but I believe God use it later in my life.
I will pray for both too.
Love in Jesus, Shekaniah :)

P.S.
You have blessed her already with this request!

I

intercessorginger

In my opinion, children learn best by example. So if you want to teach your daughter anything, you have to be those things first. Be faithful in your prayer, bible reading and church attendance and bring your daughter with you. Remember that she is watching what you do..more then what you say.

M

mamajj

Congratulations! It's a joy being a mom. I had the same cares and worries before my son was born. Teaching kids is the easiest thing..and the best you can do as they learn in their first years of life, is introduce them to God. Read her simplified Bible stories like 'My First Bible' and simple songs. With time she'll know about God, Jesus and other great people in the Bible. Teaching them right in terms of discipline, right and wrong, respect, humility etc is also a step to bringing her up well. Just remember that you can teach her and introduce her to Christ but she'll have to make that decision of becoming a Christian herself. Best of all, enjoy being a mom..it's an experience that teaches us too plus it's fun!! I have a 2yr7mnth old boy and he knows Jesus loves him, he knows all bugs,animals,plants and people are God's creation and he also knows most of the Bible characters. Step by step with Jesus by your side :).

D

DownUnder

Dear Lady, congratulations on expecting a beautiful baby girl soon!
I am male, and there are many kind and wise ladies here to advise, but I would suggest this. Start reading God's Word to her now. Don't think she cannot hear it, she hears all your words, same as she hears your heartbeat! So, even if it is only a few verses a day, find a quiet time to just sit quietly with your daughter and read some of God's Word to her. God loves women, He does not look down on them as some think, Jesus gave often first to women, His New Covenant teachings. The woman at the well, the woman who bled, the women at the tomb. Look for passages that show God's love for women, and where Jesus reveals to them. Read His advice about women & men, how each should be a blessing to the other. He knew us all before we were born, it is good for us to hear His Word in the most comforting environment, before we come into this noisy world.

All prayers, love, peace, God's blessings to you and yours!

W

wagonwheel69

(MAN SORRY) This world is full of ungodliness, from a very young age instill in her to be in the world, not of the world as commanded. She needs to be raised almost from day 1 with the knowledge that the world is full of treachery disguised as pleasing things. Do not forsake this! The deceiver is very active in putting ungodly thoughts in impressionable minds. It is a very, very powerful thing. The world will constantly tell her things that are evil and not of God but pleasing to the flesh. She needs a foundation of knowing that worldly things are not of God.

How you relate to your daughter is of the utmost importance!! Many Christians make the mistake of being strict and living by the "because I said so" and expecting that children will just respect you because they should. Other Christians make the mistake of trying to be the child's friend and not their parent. You are that child's mother, it is your duty to raise that child to be a successful Christian. That child needs to respect you and do what you say because you said so but that only works when they fundamentally know that you love them and what you do for them you do out of love. You need to work on earning their trust and faith without them ever knowing that's what you are doing. You do that by setting good examples and sharing thought out wisdom. Work relentlessly on wisdom to share, ways to help her see what's right and always make it clear that what you do for her you do in love. Discipline that child with what is very best for her, never what's gratifying for you. Sometimes parents need a little while to think instead of just reacting. If I were to spank my kids when they were younger or discipline them. It is NEVER without talking to them about it at some point in time and explaining that I HATE to spank you but I love you so much and it is my job to help you learn and grow to be responsible. Always make it clear to them that you love them and are there for them even when it's not pleasing for them. This is a foundation love they will lean on for the rest of their lives.

Sep 10, 2012
congratulations on your gift of motherhood and that is great you want the best for your little girl...yes pray for her and even pray and fast if you want to show the Lord how serious you are about having your baby become a true disciple of Jesus...dont forget that your child really belongs to the Lord and not to you so accept His will for the child's spiritual welfare and growth and life...model Christlike attitudes, values, behaviour and love and also discipline your child as they grow...teach them to lovingly submit to the authority God has given parents over their children...show submission to your own husband and if you dont have one show submission to your parents