All have fallen short...?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TESE

Dec 23, 2009
Only Jesus was a man who lived righteously (in perfect holy right standing with God). Right? The perfect man lived out. All of the Law was lived out in obedience. And this perfect, blameless, and holy life died and was the acceptable sacrifice to reconcile us back to relationship with God. It not only cancelled out our sin, but cleansed our conscience! Yay! We know that and live that (hopefully).

But my question is this. If only Jesus was the perfect righteous man, how come the OT refers to men at the time as being righteous? They are living separated from inner-union with God, why then are they referred to as blameless, upright, righteous, etc?

Some examples:

Gen 6:9 (Noah has also been referred to as a preacher of righteousness)
This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.

2 Peter 2:6-8 (I find this one interesting because, is it not saying that Lot is living with a cleaned conscience? Because when our conscience is cleaned, anything unrightesou violates it..we are made new. I find that interesting, because I believe that is what is said about Lot here)

Matthew 1:19 (Is this saying Joseph kept ALL of the law?)
Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[SUP][a][/SUP] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

(the greek in the NIV version calls him righteous)
BLB - Mat 1: Gospel of Matthew 1 (Blue Letter Bible: NIV - New International Version)

2 Peter 2:6-8
if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;[SUP]7 [/SUP]and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless[SUP]8 [/SUP](for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)

Job 1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil.

Don't misinterpret my post or thoughts, I truly believe Jesus was hte only sacrifice! I'm just trying to understand how people in the OT could be referred to as righteous and blameless. What does that really mean if they have not received the revelation of Jesus? Or, maybe they have? (since Jesus and his death was seen and foretold before everything..)

Last edited:

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Only Jesus was a man who lived righteously (in perfect holy right standing with God). Right? The perfect man lived out. All of the Law was lived out in obedience. And this perfect, blameless, and holy life died and was the acceptable sacrifice to reconcile us back to relationship with God. It not only cancelled out our sin, but cleansed our conscience! Yay! We know that and live that (hopefully).

But my question is this. If only Jesus was the perfect righteous man, how come the OT refers to men at the time as being righteous? They are living separated from inner-union with God, why then are they referred to as blameless, upright, righteous, etc?

Some examples:

This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.

2 Peter 2:6-8 (I find this one interesting because, is it not saying that Lot is living with a cleaned conscience? Because when our conscience is cleaned, anything unrightesou violates it..we are made new. I find that interesting, because I believe that is what is said about Lot here)

Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[SUP][a][/SUP] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

BLB - Mat 1: Gospel of Matthew 1 (Blue Letter Bible: NIV - New International Version)

if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;[SUP]7 [/SUP]and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless[SUP]8 [/SUP](for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)

Don't misinterpret my post or thoughts, I truly believe Jesus was hte only sacrifice! I'm just trying to understand how people in the OT could be referred to as righteous and blameless. What does that really mean if they have not received the revelation of Jesus? Or, maybe they have? (since Jesus and his death was seen and foretold before everything..)
Walking righteously before Yahweh and being perfect are 2 different things. There is no other possibility IMO. This is shown by the need for a Messiah and the prerequisite being that He be unblemished, while those you mentioned certainly were not perfect. We all need mercy, even those named in the Scriptures as being righteous, only Yahshua did not need mercy.

P

psalm6819

Romans 4:3
For what saith the scripture ? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Galations 3:6
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

:)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

Some examples:

Job 1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil.

They may not have received the full revelation of Jesus but they were given promises as did Abraham and thus those who exhibited faith in the promises were counted as righteous /justified, even as we are.

Habakkuk 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

May 15, 2013

Matthew 12:12 How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good (Righteous) on the Sabbath.”

Mark 3:4 Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent.
(To do what is right)

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Habakkuk 2:4 “See, the enemy is puffed up; his desires are not upright but the righteous person will live by his faithfulness

Romans 1:17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Romans 4:3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

Romans 4:5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness

Romans 4:13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
1 Corinthians 1:30-31, "It is because of Him that you are in Yahshua Messiah, Who has become for us wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption--from Yahweh, So that it might be just as it is written: He who glories, let him glory in Yahweh."

2 Corinthians 5:21, "For Yahweh made Him, Who knew no sin, to be a sin offering for us, that we might become the righteousness of Yahweh, through Him."

Yaaqob 2:26, "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so the faith without works is dead also."

Titus 1:16, "They profess that they know Yahweh, but by their works they deny Him--being abominable, disobedient, and to every righteous work, reprobate."