an idea for a bible study .. Maybe? Perhaps? One of our gentleman might start it ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Powemm

As the old man passes away . The spirit
Man (Jesus Christ) over rides the flesh nature... The flesh becomes a "living sacrifice" to the spirit ... nourishment...bringing about life to the spirit ..old things passing away , and that Wich already lay dormant begins to bring about new life ... A transformation taking place from flesh to spirit ... The flesh does not comprehend this , because flesh only comprehends death not life.. the spirit only comprehends life ... death does not exist ..

Jan 19, 2013
"the same was in the begining with god "In the beginning was the Word." The word "beginning Implies a start thus not eternal. There are other scriptures that speak of Christ as eternal , several, but beginning implies a start and not eternal. Jesus was eternal as other scripture states .this may seem unimportant ,but is if a person sees it in light with other scripture ."without father or mother," everlasting , Begotten not made, all reflect the lords eternal nature ,but begining implies space and time which were created
No such thing.

"Was" is past tense.

The Word already existed in the beginning of creation.

Jan 19, 2013
I was going to pass because it was veering away from the word of God and into the word of man, myself included, and as far as I am aware this thread was intended to be uplifting and bring glory to God. Anyway lets see what happens. :)

In verse 4 we read that there is life in Jesus and the life was the light of men. We know from other scriptures that Jesus is life and life eternal, for example in John 11:25 we read, "Jesus said unto her, I am the Resurrection, and the Life: he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he Live." This tells us us something important about Jesus and who he is without coming straight out and saying it, so instead, in the next verse John contents himself by saying "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." I wonder what it is that we don't comprehend?
The life, not knowledge, is the light of men.

"No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again (has the life). (Jn 3:3)

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
No such thing.

"Was" is past tense.

The Word already existed in the beginning of creation.
Elin and weakness this is just what I see, a circle has a begining and when it is complete there is no more begining or ending such is God and he rested on the seventh day for his work is complete, and when we are in him we are to do the same by belief, Christ is the Author and finisher of our faith that is in him enter thou into his rest but they did not because of unbelief.
Homwardbound

P

Powemm

Re: an idea for a bible study .. Maybe? Perhaps? One of our gentleman might start

98 Bible Verses about
Light

John 8:12 ESV / 111 helpful votes

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying,

P

Powemm

Re: an idea for a bible study .. Maybe? Perhaps? One of our gentleman might start

Helpful Not Helpful
John 8:12 ESV / 111 helpful votes

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

1 John 1:7 ESV / 76 helpful votes

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

John 1:5 ESV / 66 helpful votes

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Matthew 5:14 ESV / 62 helpful votes

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.

Psalm 119:105 ESV / 53 helpful votes

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Ephesians 5:8 ESV / 51 helpful votes

For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

1 John 1:5 ESV / 49 helpful votes

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Ephesians 5:14 ESV / 37 helpful votes

For anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

1 Peter 2:9 ESV / 36 helpful votes

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Psalm 27:1 ESV / 34 helpful votes

Of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

John 12:35 ESV / 33 helpful votes

So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going.

Matthew 5:16 ESV / 32 helpful votes

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

John 9:5 ESV / 25 helpful votes

As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Matthew 4:16 ESV / 25 helpful votes

The people dwelling in darkness have seen a great light, and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death, on them a light has dawned.”

Revelation 21:23 ESV / 24 helpful votes

And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.

James 1:17 ESV / 24 helpful votes

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Isaiah 58:8 ESV / 24 helpful votes

Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

Isaiah 42:16 ESV / 24 helpful votes

And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.

Psalm 119:130 ESV / 24 helpful votes

The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.

2 Peter 1:19 ESV / 23 helpful votes

And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,

John 12:36 ESV / 22 helpful votes

While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” When Jesus had said these things, he departed and hid himself from them.

Luke 11:34 ESV / 22 helpful votes

Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness.

2 Corinthians 4:6 ESV / 21

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

P

Powemm

We can step to tue edges of tue world with one foot still in heaven ... Speak using our wirds in Wich is the way of God but into the world .... Using speech thant is wholesome and good .. Edifying the "spirit alone" Wich is always lying dormant within the flesh ... as god has already planted this seed in us ... Some of us are Sowers , some waters.... Tending to the seed of god
within all of us ... Some look strictly for words of scripted .. Grasping tightly to gods truth ... Spirit recognizes spirit ... As it bears The fruit of gods spirit ... Who is a person ... A spirit within a person ... Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness and long suffering ..truly being free in the spirit the light of Jesus Christ being in us recognizes this fruit ... Because it is of Him... Who is goodness ... Never with lofty speech ... Never tempting...such things are not to be recognized within is as God from tue beginning did not put such things in us... Flesh does not recognize this where the spirit of truth does ... the spirit if truth releases us from the bondage if that Wich is not of Him...

W

weakness

The circle has been a symbol of eternity in several cultures.But like you said when you BEGIN a circle. And God had no begining .Awheel within a wheel is interesting. I don't know ,but eternity has no beginning .as far as "in the beginning was the word"all this says is that the Word was there when creation began.Scripture says all things were created by him and for him. As we know words have meaning they reveal something, they communicate. I think this is why Jesus is called the word Because in the creation he is the revelation of the Father, and of himself. Before creation even before angels what need would there be to reveal anything since the godhead is perfect and already knows all things. just rambling again, just thinking ,no big deal. god bless

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
The circle has been a symbol of eternity in several cultures.But like you said when you BEGIN a circle. And God had no begining .Awheel within a wheel is interesting. I don't know ,but eternity has no beginning .as far as "in the beginning was the word"all this says is that the Word was there when creation began.Scripture says all things were created by him and for him. As we know words have meaning they reveal something, they communicate. I think this is why Jesus is called the word Because in the creation he is the revelation of the Father, and of himself. Before creation even before angels what need would there be to reveal anything since the godhead is perfect and already knows all things. just rambling again, just thinking ,no big deal. god bless
It is great to think on whatever is good upon these things focus maybe in the beginning is for this world that God began the universe, God already existed so in the beginning would be the creation of the world/universe, just more food for thought

zone

Jun 13, 2010
LOL.
self-control:rolleyes:
(and an edit - delete post window)
Aquariuzone

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Lets look at verses 6-8 in the first chapter of John's Gospel together.

In verse 6 we see John the Baptist with a divine mission. He had been sent from God with a divine purpose which is "that ALL men might believe" through the "Word" (Jesus) who is the Light of the World.

John came for a witness; he knew Jesus personally and that is the Lord's desire for all of us, that we know Him personally also. The 1611 King James Bible puts it like this beginning with verse 21 in chapter 59 of Isaiah.

"As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD;
My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy
mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth
of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith
the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD
is risen upon thee. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth,
and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee,
and his glory shall be seen upon thee. And the Gentiles shall come
to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising."

PS

Jan 11, 2013

I have just noticed the word LORD and it's significance escaped me when I posted, but this is the same word as Jehovah H3068 yehôvâh yeh-ho-vaw'. This is the Redeemer (Jesus) who is spoken of in Isa 59:20 "And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD."

It thrills me...

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

John 1:6-8 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
And he bore witness of that light Christ Jesus. Now this was the first time in history that water baptism was brought out unto the public, and John the Baptist was sent from God to do What? to baptize the messiah and bear witness that the Messiah has arrived correct?
Now after John Baptised Jesus and bore witness to the Messiah, was his Job over, was water baptism over? What did John say?
John 3:30-31
30 He must increase, but I must decrease. 31 He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.
Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
And there is only one Faith one Lord and one Baptism
Ephesians 4:5
one Lord, one faith, one baptism.
So since there is only one baptism and john's baptism must decrease and Christ's baptism must increase with the Holy Ghost along with fire, which baptism is the one Water or Spirit there aren't two, I choose the Holy Ghost with fire to burn out my flesh, what about you all? Even the Law was the shadow of the good things to come and today after the cross upon belief we are no longer under the Law but under grace so then shall we make void the law that grace may abound NO!!!! God forbid for we uphold the Law
Romans 3:31
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Acts 1:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

So what are we doing here in this socety water baptizing for when that is done just like the Law being fulfilled by Christ Jesus?
The flesh is at war with the Spirit of God and this is each persons individual's flesh in themselves until one decides for it to die, and trusts God to bring them back to life in the Spirit of God read romans 6:1-11 slowly and place yourself in there as the one this is being and been done to as Paul described to the Romans that this is what has occured in them, if anyone does the same they are God's and belong to God, born again of the Holy Ghost baptised unto the death of themselves with Christ and raised back to life a new life in the Spirit of God ready to an account of their joy in season and out of season
Love you all

Jan 19, 2013
Lets look at verses 6-8 in the first chapter of John's Gospel together.

In verse 6 we see John the Baptist with a divine mission. He had been sent from God with a divine purpose which is "that ALL men might believe" through the "Word" (Jesus) who is the Light of the World.
Note the emphasis on belief so early in John's gospel.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

John 1:9 That was the true Light which, coming into the world, gives light to every man.
[SUP]10 [/SUP]He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

therefore every man has been given light and this light is Jesus Christ, but not everyone accepts this or believes this andthe world stilldoes not know yet we have denominations galore and even non-denominations, arguing between one another as if their place is the only right place along with only the others they recognize and yet Christ came to save all those that will put faith in him. How can one denomination or non-denomination put themselves above another when the others they do not recognize as a part of being saved in Christ. Sounds to me as we are carnal as Paul described to the Corinthians, 1 Cor. 3. I think truly it is a personal belief being in love with the savior for what he did for us and thus we have fellowship with God the Father of christ now our Father through Christ and his finished work at the cross. Unto loving all denominations and non denominations and believers outside of groups and unbelievers as well. How can I or anyone call it love if we only love those that love us or recognize us?

S

savedandhopeful

I don't have anything to add...just looking through old threads..but I just want to say..this was such a neat idea...:)

john832

May 31, 2013
1 John 5:6-8

New King James Version (NKJV)

6 This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness on earth:[a] the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.
Aw c'mon, the comma Johanneum is not in the original and was added in much later manuscripts by a monk copyist. this has been explained so many times it is tiring.

john832

May 31, 2013
AND WHEN READING IN THE BEGINNING GENESIS YOU SEE THAT JESUS IS THE TREE OF LIFE IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN THAT GOD KEPT HIDDEN UNTIL THE NEW COVENANT WAS TO BE PUT IN PLACE, THERE WERE ANGELS WITH FLAMING SWORDS BLOCKING THE ENTRANCE BACK INTO THE GARDEN SO THAT AT THAT TIME NO ONE COULD GET IN AND EAT FROM THE TREE OF LIFE AND LIVE FOREVER IN SIN
No, that is absolutely false, Christ CREATED the Tree of Life. If He was the Tree of Life, He would be a created being.

Shoulda added this...

Gen 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
Gen 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
So, Powemm, how's the Bible Study going?