Angels are "male"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
Angels in the Bible have some masculine qualities, but they do not have the genitalia to be male.

Nephalim were not the result of angels having sex with women. Only God can create life, and He only gave genitals to creatures that were commanded to be fruitful and multiply. Since Jesus said that angels never marry or are given in marriage, he would have not given them outdoor plumbing if there was no holy reason for them to ever use it. Even if (hypothetically) they had the parts, they would still have to work in conjunction with a human woman's, and the angelic sperm would have have to be compatible with human ovum. Plus plain reading of the text indicates otherwise. There are just too many problems with that theory. It reads more like myth or fairytales.

Sep 1, 2013
Angels in their natural form (spirit) do not procreate therefore they are genderless but always referred in the masculine pronoun similar to God. When they temporarily appear in the physical form they have all the characteristics (and parts) of the male and they always appear in the prime of life (early to mid 20s).

M

Married_Richenbrachen

Angels in the Bible have some masculine qualities, but they do not have the genitalia to be male.
Can you prove that? The bible doesn't make mention of this.

Nephalim were not the result of angels having sex with women.
The "sons of God" came unto the daughters of men? The "sons of God" is a term used for those who God directly creates. We are called sons of God in the New Testament, because we have been born again - God has given us a new heart. In the Old Testament, the only ones who could correctly be called sons of God were Adam, and the angels.

Only God can create life, and He only gave genitals to creatures that were commanded to be fruitful and multiply.
God doesn't say this.

Since Jesus said that angels never marry or are given in marriage,
Jesus doesn't say this. He says we will be like the angels in Heaven. The wicked angels who procreated with the daughters of men clearly came down to Earth to accomplish their abomination.

he would have not given them outdoor plumbing if there was no holy reason for them to ever use it.
These are your thoughts, not necessarily God's.

Even if (hypothetically) they had the parts, they would still have to work in conjunction with a human woman's, and the angelic sperm would have have to be compatible with human ovum. Plus plain reading of the text indicates otherwise.
The plain reading of the text indicates that wicked angels raped women, and these women gave birth to inhuman (male) offspring - the Nephilim.

There are just too many problems with that theory.
You haven't outlined any that aren't easily refuted.

It reads more like myth or fairytales.
This is a common epithet used against bible texts. It doesn't make the bible texts any less true.

K

kenisyes

?????...why the sarcastic reply may I ask?didn't expect that from you.
I thought we were attempting to make a joke here. I'm sorry if I got it wrong.

K

kenisyes

God is not a hybrid creature, that being part male/part female.

Jesus said that in heaven, they will not be given in marriage, for they will be as the angels
There was quite a bit of talk in the early church about the nature of male and female in salvation. Much was from the gnostics, and lost as part of the banning of the gnostic heresy. But there is more to male and female than the reproductive organs; it is more about approaches to life. These matters get difficult to render in English in a few words, but they make the specific statement that maturity in God is acquiring both sets of thought patterns.

Your Scriptures also prove that angels have no reproductive organs. Without such organs, deciding male or female is impossible. God is not a "hybrid", but rather, the source of both male-thought and female-thought, and that is the sense in which I mean He is both, not in the physical sense. That is the relevant property God transferred to Adam in His "image and likeness". It is that property that allowed Him later to separate man and woman (not male and female).

When we talk about spirits, we are actually talking about a reality that transcends the separation of male and female. Neither term is correct for spirits, hence both are equally correct since they are both equally wrong.

The sons of God and the daughters of men have no bearing on the issue. The early sources say that the "sons of God" are fallen angels possessing men at the men's request. The angels (of whatever gender or non-gender) got male reproductive organs from the male human bodies they were possessing. There is no record in the sources of any women volunteering to be possessed.

K

kenisyes

Are you serious dude that Adam was not a male .

Ironically the animals were created before Adam and they were both males and females hmmmmmm :rolleyes:
At the end of the book of Jonah, the population of Ninevah is given as a hundred thousand some "adam". Not "adamim". Adam is a plural noun, as its use in the Hebrew text shows. "Humanity" is a better translation in many contexts. Humanity is both male and female in its bodily representation, but unified in its Godly representation. That's why in Christ there is neither male nor female (Gal. 3:28).

A

Ace85

You should take a closer look at Genesis 1:27, as it says "So God created mankind in His image, in the image of God He created THEM; male and female He created them".
The Bible also states that man was created 'a little lower than the angels'.
I believe that there are female angels - otherwise angles shape-shift. It's quite interesting, as somthing that was said to me one time, was that when children are raped/molested that it is common for that child to get an 'imaginary friend'. Usually, when people have an imaginary friend, it is the same gender. I believe that God can send His angels to His children in these times. I pray often for children stuck in the sex slave industry, that God would send them His angels.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Brother Kenesys said:

When we talk about spirits, we are actually talking about a reality that transcends the separation of male and female. Neither term is correct for spirits, hence both are equally correct since they are both equally wrong.

As I see it, a double negative can never be a correct answer. But, that may just be me. I DO AGREE however that spiritual beings transcend earthy beings.......in that they are neither male or female........

Now, JUST MY THOUGHTS HERE, but one reason I believe that the "male" gender is referenced to in Scripture is that according to Jewish Law, only "male" offspring could be considered "heirs." And as we are made worthy to become "heirs" to the Promise, this "male" reference makes sense according to Jewish Law and customs.

This also ties in with Galatians, Chapter 3..........."neither male, nor female".......and other Scriptures as well. Jesus saying that God is a Spirit, and to worship Him............Paul speaking of the different kinds of flesh, different bodies.......earthy, celestial........anyway, those are my thoughts.

God bless

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
You should take a closer look at Genesis 1:27, as it says "So God created mankind in His image, in the image of God He created THEM; male and female He created them".
The Bible also states that man was created 'a little lower than the angels'.
I believe that there are female angels - otherwise angles shape-shift. It's quite interesting, as somthing that was said to me one time, was that when children are raped/molested that it is common for that child to get an 'imaginary friend'. Usually, when people have an imaginary friend, it is the same gender. I believe that God can send His angels to His children in these times. I pray often for children stuck in the sex slave industry, that God would send them His angels.

Sadly, I do not think you realize that by saying God is BOTH male and female, you have rendered Him something you may not have intended to............God IS NOT flesh and blood...........there is no Biblical evidence that God is BOTH male and female. Your reading of Genesis does not agree with mine.........so, that's ok too. IF you choose to believe that God IS both male and female, well, at least Larry King agrees with you.......but, then........ :)

J

jason4567

There is no doubt that every reference to angels in Scripture refers to them in the masculine gender. The Greek word for “angel” in the New Testament, angelos, is in the masculine form. In fact, the feminine form of angelos does not exist. There are three genders in grammar—masculine (he, him, his), feminine (she, her, hers), and neuter (it, its). Angels are never referred to in any gender other than masculine. In the many appearances of angels in the Bible, never is an angel referred to as “she” or “it.” Furthermore, when angels did appear, they always appeared dressed as human males (Genesis 18:2, 16; Ezekiel 9:2). No angel ever appeared in Scripture dressed as a female.

The only named angels in the Bible—Michael, Gabriel, Lucifer—had male names and all were referred to in the masculine. Revelation 12:7 – “…Michael and his angels.”; Luke 1:29 – “Mary was greatly troubled at his (Gabriel’s) words.”; Isaiah 14:12 – “Oh, Lucifer, son of the morning.” Other references to angels are always in the masculine gender. In Judges 6:21, the angel held the staff in his hand. Zechariah asked an angel a question and reports that he answered (Zechariah 1:19). The angels in Revelation are all spoken of as “he” and “his” (Revelation 7:1; 10:1, 5; 14:19; 16:2, 4, 17; 19:17; 20:1).

The confusion about genderless angels comes from a misreading of Matthew 22:30, which states that there will be no marriage in heaven because we “will be like the angels in heaven.” The statement that there will be no marriage has led some to believe that angels are “sexless” or genderless because (the thinking goes) the purpose of gender is procreation and, if there is to be no marriage and no procreation, there is no need for gender. But this is a leap that cannot be proven from the text. The fact that there is no marriage does not necessarily mean there is no gender. The many references to angels as males contradict the idea of genderless angels. But we must not confuse gender with sexuality. Clearly, there is no sexual activity in heaven, which we can safely derive from the statement about no marriage. But we can’t make the same leap from “no marriage” to “no gender.”

Gender, then, is not to be understood strictly in terms of sexuality. Rather, the use of the masculine gender pronouns throughout Scripture is more a reference to authority than to sex. God always refers to Himself in the masculine. The blurring of the distinction between male and female can lead to heresies such as “mother/father God” and the Holy Spirit as an “it,” ignoring the references to Him in Scripture (John 14:17; 15:16; 16:8, 13-14). The Holy Spirit is never described as an “it” or an inanimate force. God’s perfect plan for the order and structure of authority, both in the church and the home, imbues men with authority to rule in love and righteousness, just as God rules. It would simply be inappropriate to refer to heavenly beings as anything other than masculine because of the authority God has granted to them to wield His power (2 Kings 19:35), carry His messages (Luke 2:10), and represent Him on earth.

source-gotquestions.org

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
OR.............it could be because folks are trying to describe/define this in the "earthy/carnal" sense........and not in the "spiritual" sense which would be what is reality in Heaven..........just saying.

He created them male and female physical beings for their lives here on earth............and for good reason, it was to "go forth and multiply." God's creations all have one distinct thing in common......(except for man's interference) and that is that they "multiply." To assure the survival/increase of the species............

In Heaven, there won't be any need for reproduction of the species ...................

Another thought is that all of this is "speculative" in that we do our best to give our best answer based on our understanding of Scripture, but NONE of us TRULY know what Heaven will be like............the reality of it, nor what the angels will be like.

I seriously doubt any human can grasp the concept of the "celestial" body intoto that we will be changed in to.