Angels

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
The Living Creatures: Rev 4v6,8,9, 5v6,14, 6v1,3,5,7, 7v11 14v3, 15v7, 19v4

The word “beasts,”“zoa,” should be translated, “creatures full of life,” and is in stark contrast to “the Beast,” “to therion,” a fierce wild animal, which describes Antichrist in Rev 11v7, 13v1. etc.. See Matt 7v15. The living creatures of Rev 4 have six wings like the Seraphim of Isaiah 6, and as “Seraphim,” means “burning ones;” so “burning with heavenly energy,” is probably the same as, “creatures full of life.” The Cherubim of Ezek 1 and 10, are called living creatures, but they have only four wings. Another difference between the living creatures of Revelation and Ezekiel, is that in Revelation each living creature has only one face, whereas in Ezekiel each living creature has all four faces. The Seraphim of Isaiah 6 are above the throne, the cherubim of Ezek 1 and 10 are below the throne and move it. Ezek 1v12,19-21,26. The living creatures of Revelation have no rest, they praise God day and night, what a joyful experience, what glorious unrest.

Yahweh Shalom...

K

kenisyes

that description seems spooky to me.
Not surprising considering your self-portrait. (I couldn't resist, sorry.)

Seriously, Jewish rabbis would not discuss this chapter in their preaching in church, but only one-on-one when they were sure of the hearer's maturity. The "spooky" is part of the reason, I suppose. I don't feel I should go into it in an open thread either, explaining the Scriptural symbolism, except to say that a cherub is a composite of certain emotional states that come to a person from God in a precise order and drive ministry forward to world-changing results. Discussing Godly emotions is like discussing any emotions; it's hard to draw the line between what you say, and what you feel as you are saying it. Having to deal with a translation makes it even worse; the Hebrew is quite a bit clearer.

K

kenisyes

The Living Creatures: Rev 4v6,8,9, 5v6,14, 6v1,3,5,7, 7v11 14v3, 15v7, 19v4

The word “beasts,”“zoa,” should be translated, “creatures full of life,” and is in stark contrast to “the Beast,” “to therion,” a fierce wild animal, which describes Antichrist in Rev 11v7, 13v1. etc.. See Matt 7v15. The living creatures of Rev 4 have six wings like the Seraphim of Isaiah 6, and as “Seraphim,” means “burning ones;” so “burning with heavenly energy,” is probably the same as, “creatures full of life.” The Cherubim of Ezek 1 and 10, are called living creatures, but they have only four wings. Another difference between the living creatures of Revelation and Ezekiel, is that in Revelation each living creature has only one face, whereas in Ezekiel each living creature has all four faces. The Seraphim of Isaiah 6 are above the throne, the cherubim of Ezek 1 and 10 are below the throne and move it. Ezek 1v12,19-21,26. The living creatures of Revelation have no rest, they praise God day and night, what a joyful experience, what glorious unrest.

Yahweh Shalom...
To keep the context complete, we note that in the Didache, a flowing stream is called "living", and is is certainly a "creature". The term is broad enough to include either the entire chariot, or any part of it. The extra wings, and the incessant activity is due to the fact that Ezekiel predicts the earthly ministry as yet to be perfomed at his time, and Rev. tells us of the creatures after the ministry has been performed in the future. The ascension to heaven gives them their new wings, and their lack of need for rest. It is certainly correct to say they have inocrporated the "burning with heavenly energy" of the seraphim upon their heavenly rise as well.

Therion does not enter into this topic at all. Although, it is useful to compare the zoa of heaven to the therion beast symbolic of evil later.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks"
Never picked up on that before. Interesting thought to say the least. Raises the question of what is meant by Jesus' return. But I think it's safe to say that Jesus my Korean roommate is not.

B

BeanieD

I haven't actually SEEN angels unless like the bibles says to beware as we may be entertaining angels. Philippians 4:13
But I do know some one or something was there the day I fell off the wall in our front yard. 4 feet high, sidewalk below. went blank for just seconds and when I came to my senses, I was on the sidewalk on my feet, and pushing up to a standing postition. Not a mark, not a scratch, no brusing, no harm at all. Praise God for His presence always.:rolleyes:

Dec 19, 2009
Does any one Know if anyone can see or has ever seen a Cherubim or Seraphim in this life time now? Please let me know
I sometimes wonder if angels aren't people who have repented of their sin:

Bless the LORD, O you his angels,
you mighty ones who do his word,
hearkening to the voice of his word! Psalms 103:20 RSV

K

Kerry

If we look at scripture. Angels are all male, the bible does not record one instance of a female angel. Secondly, they are about ten feet tall, as recorded in Genesis. The sons of God took the daughters of men as wives and Giants were in the land.

All of the angels were created at one time. There is no such thing as baby angels. That is Greco-Roman mythology scope. The Catholics have baby angels, but it is unscriptural.

Thirdly there is no mention of angels having wings. Only Cherubim and seraphim and the four living creatures of Ezekiel.

Fourthly angels can appear as men, fallen are not. In Sodom the men of the city demanded that lot give them the men that was in his house. Lot said take my virgin daughters, but they wanted the men, who were actually angels.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
But this is how most envision angels. Or would you disagree? I know a Christan woman with figurines of angels all over her house and they all look pretty much like this. :)

For those who missed it: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bolognini.JPG
It's difficult to say what's tradition in Judeo-Christianity, because what we generally refer to as traditional Christianity is not as sincerely traditional as the oldest traditions. If that makes sense. For instance, the winged human being is the traditional concept of an angel. And angelic beings are represented as human in form - whether that be in Genesis or in the New Testament - but the only location in the Bible that I can readily think of which may be associated with this winged-human form of an angel is in Zechariah 5:9.

Then lifted I up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came out two women, and the wind was in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork: and they lifted up the ephah between the earth and the heaven.
This is the stereotypical angel. However, you also have human-form angelic beings with no wings. Then you have four-faced, six-winged, flying, revolving-wheeled angelic beings that are covered in eyes and in whose wheels their spirits are contained. You also have the idea of Genesis being both allegory and literal fact at the same time, because of the serpent. The serpent seems to either fly or walk (i.e. not crawl), so obviously it's not a common serpent. What kind of serpent is it then? Well, the word for saraph (where we get seraphim) also refers to venomous snakes. So are seraphim named so because they burn brightly or because they're serpentine in form? If cherubim can have animalistic qualities, then maybe the answer is both.

At any rate, the flying stork-women in Zechariah 5:9 may be interpreted to be angelic creatures because the word for stork (i.e. chaciydah) comes from chaciyd, which can mean faithful, kind, pious, godly or saint. But if this is so it might be more symbolic of God's followers than of literal angelic beings. Haven't done the research, myself, so it's just food for thought.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2013
If we look at scripture. Angels are all male, the bible does not record one instance of a female angel.
See Aristocat's post (#31) that follows yours. He/she talks about the possibility of female angels recorded in Zechariah 5:9.

Kerry said:
... there is no mention of angels having wings.
But there is plenty of mention of angels flying:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Isaiah speaking of angels that he saw, says that they did fly. Isa.vi,2. Daniel says, "While I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation." Dan.ix,21. John says, "I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabitants of the earth," &c. Rev.viii,13. Again he says, "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven," &c. [/FONT]< Spiritual Advice For Christians - Do Angels Have Wings? >

I suppose the question must be asked, 'If they have no wings how then do they propel themselves?' Perhaps angels when walking on the ground don't need wings, but those floating -- well that's another matter.

Oct 31, 2011
I have been conscious of angels in the room with me twice in my life. My perception of them is that they are spirit rather than flesh, so when we are conscious of them it isn't in the form of flesh. Both times it was more like a glob of light. I was sitting in a chair with my eyes on my lap, there were two of them who came in the window. I didn't look up from my lap, but I was aware of them as a sort of change in the light where they were. They came to help my Dad go from this life to the new one in eternity.

The other time I was aware of angels, they looked about the same. More as a spirit I was able to discern. This time I was giving birth and it seemed to me my legs were attached to my body, but the spirit in me sat up to be aware of how angels were helping with the birth.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Many moons ago i and another encountered a dark shadow moving toward us. we heard the shuffling noise then it retreated.

It was frightening to say the least.

i'm sure others have felt the unseen force move them out the way of danger.

When the Messiah was taken up to be tempted this was said:

6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Psalm 91

Contains this also :)

Anyhow it is such a comfort for us to know that though we should not Tempt our GOD we are looked after.

I

Imperfect

[video=youtube;4J4enBhOllw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J4enBhOllw[/video]

I

Imperfect

i never seen an angel, but the day my dog died, my house felt completely different. you know how houses have personalities? well, the house felt "clean", like a brand new home that day.. that whole morning i remember thinking to myself why does the house feel different today..

then my daughter was still sleeping in her crib at this time and i remember hearing her talking in her little girl talk and laughing... so i go by the door (its cracked) and i peak through. shes standing up talking to somebody like they were standing there... i got scared at 1st.. i ran in there, got my daughter and was pretty upset with whatever was in there and demanded them to leave in the name of Jesus... silly in retrospect because they are from Jesus lol.

i get her in the bathtub, wash her up and let her play with her bathtub toys. im downstairs doing dishes, thinking about who my daughter was talking to, and why did the house feel different.. i go upstairs to check on jahiya, lexi was laying by the stairs going up. i think nothing of it...

i come down and i notice shes looking a little lifeless to just be laying there.... almost like she wanted to lay down where she was but she didnt have the life to lay correctly... and you can tell she kinda just got to where she wanted and her body just gave out ( i still feel the sadness of this after a couple years by just talking talking about it ).

i was scared and hurt and sad and panicking all in 1.. i walk around to the front of her and i see her big brown eyes look up to me 1 last time almost like she was fighting for me to stay alive so she can see me 1 last time. then her eyebrows went down and her tongue came out. i was screaming, i was so hurt... i never cried when anybody died, but when she died, i lost myself. i cried for a few days straight.. but through prayer, Jesus gave me strength and the right attitude / outlook to have to overcome the pain, although i still feel it today when i think about it, like writing this got to me. i miss my baby.

but the house felt different that day because i feel angels were in the house to get Lexi... and thats who was in the room talking and playing with Jahiya.

Last edited: