Anyone know how to "grow" a church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

ritelec

Me…….raised roman catholic, faded away from church but still believer……. considered my self "Christian". Couple months now I've been attending a Episcopal church… Nice people, good to get back to church… (although there's still a seed in my brain that Howard Camping planted 8 years ago that the holy spirit is no longer in the churches but..)..

Anyway, they're nice people, they are older… in there late 60's to 90's, depending on the Sunday, theres 8 or 12 parishioners there… pretty sad…( actually a few have been sick so it may become 6 or 10 :- / )

It's a small lake community and I think at one time they were doing well, younger parishioners, kids…,
then years ago a lutheran church was built and there's also a RCC in town……. well the Episcopal church attendants dried up..

I've been doing alittle research on line to see how to grow a church and will continue…

Maybe I can hire Woopy Golberg (sister act) :- )

(actually that whole acoustic christain music thing the churches do turns me off, I could put up with singing nuns though)

How bout a Flying nun…………???
(sit down Sally, I was kidding)

Suggestions welcome...

Thanks

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
A very interesting question...

First off I think that if they teach that Jesus is the son of God, that only through Him are we saved, and by no works are we saved. I think it is a Christian church... Doctrine is a funny thing beyond that.

With that being said, if a person has a faith even the size of a mustard seed it can move mountains...
To bring in a new generation, from what I have seen, it is not good music, or better preaching or anything... If you try to bring them in that way, the world offers better music, and better charismatic people...

The only thing needed is Christ and Fellowship...

I know one of the reasons I do not like my church is the lack of fellowship... If I fall or stumble no one is really there... (at least the way I feel).

Just follow Christ, teach on Christ, and be a Christian... Show the new generation Christ, and you will have a church that is ripe with good fruit...

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
How do you grow a good church?

Plant the seed into fertile soil

R

ritelec

Beautiful answers, thank you !

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
John 6:61-67 KJVS
[61] When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? [62] What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? [63] It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. [64] But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. [65] And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. [66] From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. [67] Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

Speak the truth in love, quit pandering.

R

ritelec

OK., I think I got it...

Read it several times through each of my 4 new bibles and couldn't get it………. :- )

Read it again in the older 40 year old bible which I though was retired and I "think"
I got it...

Put a sign outside the church………..FREE breakfast..
Cook breakfast at the church (or just feed them bagels), Feed the new comers to full.
Build a boat, take the older 12 parishioners across the lake. Some new disciples will come across the lake and back next Sunday..most will not.

Totally playing……… Thank you, I "think" I get it… Speak the truth in love, quit pandering.

through the spirit they will come.. or not..
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Anyone know how to "grow" a church?
Reading "The Acts of the Apostles" would be a good place to start and see how the early Church did it!

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Read up on Catholic history, fear-mongering, murdering and cash incentives.. Actually don't do that...lol :p

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
ritelec,

Do you have authority at your church to make decisions, or change things?

You need to discuss this with your pastor.
If he is unwilling to hear constructive criticism, or make changes...
then it's pointless for you to study the bible for solutions.

First things first.

R

ritelec

Reading "The Acts of the Apostles" would be a good place to start and see how the early Church did it!

Will do, thank you

ritelec,

Do you have authority at your church to make decisions, or change things?

You need to discuss this with your pastor.
If he is unwilling to hear constructive criticism, or make changes...
then it's pointless for you to study the bible for solutions.

First things first.

The priest is hired I believe on a yearly basis, he drives in from an hour away. The regulars are looking for growth.

"study the bible for solutions"

Thank you.

Read up on Catholic history, fear-mongering, murdering and cash incentives.. Actually don't do that...lol :p
Priceless !!!

Attachments