Apparently men mature at age 43?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
EXTRA, EXTRA!!!! THE REAL SIGNIFICANCE IN THE TITLE OF THE THREAD ARE THESE TWO WORDS:

"MEN MATURE".

Wowsers. Yes, it DOES happen, ladies!!! ;) JUST KIDDING GUYS!!!!!! :D

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Sorry for the double post, but OF COURSE, I don't think all men are immature, and for some, I don't think it takes until they're 43, either. I know we all make jokes about it but my brother really did live at home with our parents for a few years (but in his own room, not in the basement) so he could work 2 full-time jobs and save as much money as possible. He got married at age 26 to a wonderful girl who is equally responsible, and they bought their first home in cash.

I think ALL people mature at different rates and IN DIFFERENT AREAS. We all know people, men and women, who are very advanced in one area but lacking in common sense in another.

I'm pretty responsible about everyday life but I remain a full-grown kid in some areas and hope I always will (case in point, the super-cool silhouette of Spiderman on a t-shirt I bought yesterday. I was also checking out the Despicable Me merchandise as well. I really wanted a t-shirt that had a yellow Minion vs. a purple Minion and said, "Doesn't Play Well With Others", but they didn't have my size. :()

I guess I'm a little like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory--except without all the brains! ;P

K

kenisyes

EXTRA, EXTRA!!!! THE REAL SIGNIFICANCE IN THE TITLE OF THE THREAD ARE THESE TWO WORDS:

"MEN MATURE".

Wowsers. Yes, it DOES happen, ladies!!! ;) JUST KIDDING GUYS!!!!!! :D
I believe maturity is best recognized by the mature. Now, how many immature men do you know? (Just kidding as much as you are.)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I believe maturity is best recognized by the mature. Now, how many immature men do you know? (Just kidding as much as you are.)
*Proudly wears her Spidey t-shirt while sipping from a Despicable Me Minion coffee mug*

Apparently *slup*... I don't know too many. :D

Jul 25, 2005
The frontal lobe isn't fully done developing until around 25. The frontal lobe is where the emotions live and the ability to predict the consequences of your actions with any sort of accuracy. Now, what stunts maturity is psychological trauma.

I'm not going to say any more about it because some of the contributors to this thread are going to tell me I'm wrong anyway. Or I'm a feminist, or neurology is bunk science, or all my medical classes have "taught me nonsense", or whatever. :D So! Have fun, y'all!
Oh no, I think everyone here respects your opinion, Aimee. I think you are a smart lady.

That said, smart people can disagree, and our fields are quite different. As for me, I will stand by centuries of experience and human observation over neuroscience. You may not be completely developed before 25, but that doesn't mean you cannot develop a working vision, priorities, values, and a sense of responsibility by a very, very young age.

K

kenisyes

The reality is that we develop in different orders. Some 20 year olds are completely mature socially, but not technologically, for example. Or vice-versa. God can and does do anything.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
The frontal lobe isn't fully done developing until around 25. The frontal lobe is where the emotions live and the ability to predict the consequences of your actions with any sort of accuracy. Now, what stunts maturity is psychological trauma.

I'm not going to say any more about it because some of the contributors to this thread are going to tell me I'm wrong anyway. Or I'm a feminist, or neurology is bunk science, or all my medical classes have "taught me nonsense", or whatever. :D So! Have fun, y'all!
People talk about this all the time.
They mention this fact that the brain isn't developed until your twenties.
But nobody ever talks about how this squares with scripture.

I don't think the bible says, anywhere, that people are "fully mature" at a young age.
But...
the bible does teach that young people are capable of making wise and skillful choices about right and wrong.

Young people are, according to scripture, capable of listening to God, capable of learning the scriptures, capable of having wisdom, capable of making wise choices, capable of serving God, capable of ministering to others.
Young people have the ability to know right and wrong, and to walk with God.

If their brain, which helps them to "analyze" their choices, isn't fully developed...
then all the more reason for them to need GODLY COUNSELORS, and to need THE BIBLE.
They just need extra help in their process of discernment.

This, I think, squares fine with the bible.
This, I think, squares fine with plain old common sense.

Young people can do right, and have wisdom, and live wisely, and serve God...
but they need extra help in learning wisdom, and in discerning things.

HOW do they GET "extra help" in learning wisdom, and in discerning things?
Primarily, "getting Godly counsel" and "learning the bible" is A CHOICE.
Yes, it's a choice, even for young people.

There are saved, Godly young people in bad families,
and there are lost, wicked people, in good families.
The family is the key to teaching young people...
but a young person has to CHOOSE, IN HIS OWN HEART, IF HE WANTS GOD.

All people, even young people, must CHOOSE what they want to put into their brain, to guide their discernment.
They must CHOOSE if they want God, and want the Bible, and want Godly counsel.
If they choose God, then they can fill their mind with scripture, and learn to live wisely, even at a young age.

Just because young people can't "analyze" their choices as thoroughly as an adult,
does not mean they aren't responsible for their actions.
It also doesn't mean they aren't capable of walking wisely with God.
Young people ARE responsible for their actions, they DO know right from wrong,
and they ARE capable of walking with God.

In a nutshell, this information about the brain developing in the 20s...
this doesn't really teach us anything new at all.
Everything we've always known from common sense...
that young people are capable of living Godly and wisely, but they also need extra "guidance"...
this is just plain common sense, and people have known this for thousands of years.

Last edited:
N

Nuns_n_roses

Getting older is nature, growing up is optional. :D

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
I read the article, and in my opinion, it was a bunch of bitter bettys irritated that their men weren't exactly like them. Personally, if my boyfriend wants to drive with loud music on, so what? Or if he wants to read comics, or science books, or whatever, that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is when men don't raise their children, love their wives, go to church, study the word with their family, help around the house, and ignore other people because the guy is selfish. Who cares if he has a "guys night"? He needs to hang out with friends. Who cares if he thinks guy jokes are funny? He's a guy. He's gonna think guy stuff is funny.

Ladies, if you are dating some guy and you want to change him, break up! Don't date someone or marry them because you think it's going to change. That's defrauding someone, that's manipulating someone, and it's just flat out unhealthy on YOUR part.

Last edited:
K

kenthomas27

My frontal lobe may not be fully developed Duchess, but my backward lobe is quite advanced!

F

FireWire

You say this when you are the perfect age!
Indeed I am. I am somewhat mature but still play online games and farting can be funny.

D

Donkeyfish07

Indeed I am. I am somewhat mature but still play online games and farting can be funny.
That goes to show ya, they can take our money.....they can take our homes.....they may even train some of us to put the toilet seat down.........but our fart jokes is the one thing they can never take away from us!!!!

F

FireWire

Yepppppp. Can't touch that. I crack up every time I watch dumb and dumber and that particular scene.

A

AngelCakes

the fact that there are men on here discussing when it is they mature tells you that they probably never do

lol seriously i'm just joking