Apparently we're old fashioned

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 12, 2016
My wife overheard one of our neighbors saying that we're behind the times. Why? Because our 4 year old son doesn't have an iPhone, we punish him when he doesn't listen to us, and we actually got married before having children. I guess we were both raised by parents that wanted us to be successful and have values or something, and we are foolishly trying to teach our child how to behave. If being with the times means buying my kid and iPhone and letting him get away with whatever, I think that I'll stick to being behind the times. :)

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
keep on being old fashioned. Your kids will thank you some day

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
Who buys their 4 year old an I Phone? You might as well take your money and flush it down the toilet. I'm one of the older parents at my children's school. Most of my Children's friends who have parents who aren't married to each other and move around lot. I'll take my old fashioned life please and thank you. :)

Last edited:
M

Miri

My wife overheard one of our neighbors saying that we're behind the times. Why? Because our 4 year old son doesn't have an iPhone, we punish him when he doesn't listen to us, and we actually got married before having children. I guess we were both raised by parents that wanted us to be successful and have values or something, and we are foolishly trying to teach our child how to behave. If being with the times means buying my kid and iPhone and letting him get away with whatever, I think that I'll stick to being behind the times. :)

Your not old fashioned your neighbours is.

Fornication, materialism and lack of discipline is as old as the world. :)

Sep 12, 2016
All of our neighbor's kids have iPhones, and some of them have iPads too. We live in a neighborhood full of gossipy parents who are all trying to impress each other. Needless to say, we dont have much interaction with them. My wife and I are actually younger than most of the other parents; most of them are in their early thirties and we are both 25.

E

eph610

Our daughter is now a young adult, but when she was about 12 she was having a sleep over and a lot of her "friends" asked why were were so strict and careful with her and we were not like their parents, letting them do what they wanted, when, and how...our daughter told them...sorry ladies they are my parents and not my friend...I want parents in my life right now and not friends...

She is now our friend as well as our daughter....

train up a child.....

M

Miri

All of our neighbor's kids have iPhones, and some of them have iPads too. We live in a neighborhood full of gossipy parents who are all trying to impress each other. Needless to say, we dont have much interaction with them. My wife and I are actually younger than most of the other parents; most of them are in their early thirties and we are both 25.

I bet that behind closed doors, they have constant financial worries.
"Keeping up with the Jones'" often means keeping up with their massive debt too
but you won't see them bragging about that.

M

Miri

Our daughter is now a young adult, but when she was about 12 she was having a sleep over and a lot of her "friends" asked why were were so strict and careful with her and we were not like their parents, letting them do what they wanted, when, and how...our daughter told them...sorry ladies they are my parents and not my friend...I want parents in my life right now and not friends...

She is now our friend as well as our daughter....

train up a child.....

Another good answer would be "that my parents actually care about what happens to me".

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
If you are old fashioned a dread to think what they would think of us our nine year old doesn't have a mobile yet. I also suspect some parents buy their children things as they feel guilty. Children need boundaries and discipline, they also need love not expensive material goods.

M

Miri

If you are old fashioned a dread to think what they would think of us our nine year old doesn't have a mobile yet. I also suspect some parents buy their children things as they feel guilty. Children need boundaries and discipline, they also need love not expensive material goods.

If I had children I wouldn't let them out alone until they were 21 :p

A

Ariel82

My son turns 11 tomorrow and no plans to get one until he drives or does sports that has him going out of town.

Even then he will have to figure out how to help pay for it...extra chores, etc.and it would be a basic flip phone with no internet...just call us if needed.

D

Deepdistress21

This kinda goes hand in hand with your other thread about wether to stay or move. The one thing to keep in mind is that the community your son will be raised in. You guys sound like your doing amazing and I'm sure he's a great boy but just keep in mind what examples/area/people he will be raised around. You might be better off in a different town/place where he will have more people similar for friends and as examples. I'm sure with yous and you probably have a good church he'll be good but just something to think on.

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus taught us that the world is ruled by Satan. We are not of the world and shouldn't imitate it. Continue raising your son the way you are raising him. You will be blessed and so will he.