Are using vulgar languages really a sin? What is defined as vulgar language?

• Thread starter Christian4Lyfe92
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Christian4Lyfe92

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like feedback on this. I am a Christian myself and always have been. I know many christians who are offended with these words. Vulgar languages are defined in various ways. I view them as saying anything to hurt, oppress, offend and impulsively judge another human being. Think and use your mouth wisely before saying something! This is what I know to be true and that goes for bullying, being angry at someone, or whatever bad intentions a person may have is considered sinful. But suppose I was with my buddies and we are like-minded in using those words and laugh together. We aren't offending anyone nor is anyone hurt in this manner. Now, using God's name in vain is equivalent to saying God damning another person to hell when we do NOT have the right to judge anyone or tell God what to do, no matter how we feel about them because we are made in the image of God like they are and are not better than them. Words and meaning change over time according to what society has as the norm. In probably many years from now, these words will change meaning. That is why I find the Bible to not be specific with words but specific with ACTION. If a person acts and verbally hurts another, it is considered vulgar, it has nothing to do with the exact words themselves. So, my point is what is considered vulgar? What is considered appropriate use and not appropriate use?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well it really varies by person,Someone got on to me for saying crap. I do not cuss anymore but that doesn't mean they don't pop into my head. So i normally have to force them out of my mind, the thoughts of a person and the words from their mouth show their heart. So i am very careful as to what i think. To me any word that goes beyond nice is probably best not said. Crap may be one but god hasn't given me any indication not to say it.LOL

May 9, 2012
It depends on your personal conviction. I used to curse a lot. But I have gotten much better at it. I will not say the MF word and the GD phrase at all. However, I have the occasional moment when I accidentally slip the S word out. I am finding it easier to replace those words with Snickers and Skittles. They sound prettier and less offensive :)

777Yeshua777

The Bible is reasonably specific

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

James 1:26
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Gossiping and accusing are two forms of speech that cause strife. A little "profanity" or "colorful language" is not nearly as harmful as sowing discord among the brethren...

Feb 21, 2012
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 4:29