Are we relevant? Living in ivory towers debating christian philosophies?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

psalm6819

I understand the need for forums to exchange points of view, to learn from but when was the last time YOU lead someone to the Lord? or helped in the local soup kitchen? volunteered to help someone old? went on a missions trip? Donated above and beyond the tithe? encouraged a brother or sister instead of beating them over the head with a Bible and condemnation? Are we revelant? Are you relevant?

H

hattiebod

I think I am like many here...this is my down time, i love to pop into CC and have a little time with my friends, I am building friendships, i feel I am amongst a huge international family. It is not all I do!! I am fortunate that I am still able to work, but there are many who cannot and I have to say, you can lead people to the Lord on CC!! it is a mission field! and for those unable to walk out the house through illness etc, its marvellous that they can serve here. SO many come here, searching, angry, complacent, confused...and through the threads can be led to a PM...and to the truth! :)
Yes, there can be passion! conflict even but, we know that our hearts, of the majority is for Christ crucified and HE KNOWS THAT...so we can be so filled with joy! and hope....I can honestly say, its a refuge. I have a very busy life that was stopped in its track by injury but I have been so encouraged, taught and my faith honed and lifted up through my incapacity!
We are not all called to go to China...our mission field may be on the doorstep (harder than China, i was there for 8 years :) and our mission filed might indeed be right here on CC....let us not be-little it, it is a wonderful place that the lost and hurting can make contact 24 / 7.
Yes, we are relevant ...but we cannot be placed in a box. Christ is out there, everywhere His army walks!! Amazing, wonderful!! God, thank you...that you are present in ALL....<><

S

Siberian_Khatru

Relativism is all relative. ;)

I'm glad you posted this though, seriously. This subject matter has been weighing on my heart lately...

P

psalm6819

I think I am like many here...this is my down time, i love to pop into CC and have a little time with my friends, I am building friendships, i feel I am amongst a huge international family. It is not all I do!! I am fortunate that I am still able to work, but there are many who cannot and I have to say, you can lead people to the Lord on CC!! it is a mission field! and for those unable to walk out the house through illness etc, its marvellous that they can serve here. SO many come here, searching, angry, complacent, confused...and through the threads can be led to a PM...and to the truth! :)
Yes, there can be passion! conflict even but, we know that our hearts, of the majority is for Christ crucified and HE KNOWS THAT...so we can be so filled with joy! and hope....I can honestly say, its a refuge. I have a very busy life that was stopped in its track by injury but I have been so encouraged, taught and my faith honed and lifted up through my incapacity!
We are not all called to go to China...our mission field may be on the doorstep (harder than China, i was there for 8 years :) and our mission filed might indeed be right here on CC....let us not be-little it, it is a wonderful place that the lost and hurting can make contact 24 / 7.
Yes, we are relevant ...but we cannot be placed in a box. Christ is out there, everywhere His army walks!! Amazing, wonderful!! God, thank you...that you are present in ALL....<><
Dear Sister Hatiebod,

I'm not faulting anyone specific (certainly not you because I see you praying for others and prayer is VERY relevant) or indicting this site, but Christians in general. So comfortable in church world, sometimes, it seems so intellectual, discussing theologies for pages and pages Then I'll see someone new and noone greets them or posts from people that seem so lonely.. I don't know if there is a moderator or someone in charge of greeting new brothers and sisters. I guess I wanted this post to be a wake up call to someone or to anyone who cares enough to DO something. I'm no spring chicken but there are so many little things we can do... a smile to the busy waitress. letting someone else have that good parking place, I mean putting some legs on our good intentions. In all love I started this thread to make us think "exactly what am I doing for Jesus?"

Last edited:
P

psalm6819

Relativism is all relative. ;)

I'm glad you posted this though, seriously. This subject matter has been weighing on my heart lately...
Gotta like a guy with a sense of humor, God gave us humour so we don't take ourselves to seriously.

Oct 31, 2011
Have you noticed that bent old white haired lady over there waving her arms and shouting? That's me about shaking the church up so it's love of God shows and instead of just saying they have belief and faith. Doing always is the result of belief and faith. and doing builds faith.

After all my time in church, and I had never really met my Heavenly Father, just His Son. When I did, I asked my pastor why we didn't listen to Him, too. My pastor said that was Judaism and I should be ashamed.

My Heavenly Father said that every single thing I do should be centered on Him and His Son, cause the Father made me and the Son saved me. Sounded good to me. I had been doing what our church said to do, but there were little, easy things the Father talked about. I wash my hands as a prayer to Christ for cleansing me, too. I gave up bacon and pork chops explaining to God how I wanted to not only eat clean foods, but be clean. I got a prayer shawl complete with the tassels God talked of, and to start my day I put it over my head to close out the world and listen to my God. I make almost everything I do part of my worship. It gives me joy you wouldn't believe. It costs nothing and it is worth a fortune in contentment and joy.

I am scolded and scolded for it. I have to hide my not eating bacon from other members of my family, they say my God is depriving me and not letting me live abundantly. My minister saw a mezuzah on my front door, he is still sputtering. I am going on a retreat where bacon is on the breakfast menu and not eating it is frowned on. And so it goes.

Living every minute for God in every way, even simple little things, does bring lasting deep joy.

Oct 31, 2011
... a smile to the busy waitress. letting someone else have that good parking place, I mean putting some legs on our good intentions. In all love I started this thread to make us think "exactly what am I doing for Jesus?"
You make my not eating bacon and mezuzah seem pretty tame, you are talking love where it REALLY is at.

P

psalm6819

know what's funny? It's the humble,the gentle, the givers that have responded. I think He's more pleased about our actions and kindness than He is over a well written treatise on some obscure point. Jesus was Jewish so I'm interested in things that pertain to Him. When I'm reading the Old Testament I look for foreshadows and types of Jesus, because it's all about Jesus to me. The OT points to Him the New reveals Him. He definately spent more time with those who truly sought Him than debating with Pharisees. So may the Love of God be shed and spread through us all in the name of Jesus.

J

jerusalem

evangelism clearly has it's place but should be unnecessary in the fellowship of believer's. of course we do have unbeliever's coming in and opportunity does present itself to to witness to and disciple some. those are usually people that come here genuinely looking for answers. then we have infiltrators who come here looking for people to victimize one way or the other. how we handle each is important. we have the advantage here that when one doesn't have a particular answer another can jump in etc and there are safeguards in place if anything gets totally out of hand. everyone says that keeping the lines of communication open is important but we forget how difficult a challenge that can be. the diversity in personalities and temperaments among the 12 was no accident. we are a whole wide world filled to the full with many different points of view on many subjects. like the story of the blind men giving their descriptions of the elephant...each only able to describe a certain part. if we keep talking we may just all get to see the whole picture. my dad used to say ' it all depends on where you are sitting in the ball park as to how you see the game.' without referees and instant replay we would loudly adhere to our rightness when in fact we are totally wrong. we need each other to get it right. nobody said it was going to be easy

Oct 31, 2011
know what's funny? It's the humble,the gentle, the givers that have responded. I think He's more pleased about our actions and kindness than He is over a well written treatise on some obscure point. Jesus was Jewish so I'm interested in things that pertain to Him. When I'm reading the Old Testament I look for foreshadows and types of Jesus, because it's all about Jesus to me. The OT points to Him the New reveals Him. He definately spent more time with those who truly sought Him than debating with Pharisees. So may the Love of God be shed and spread through us all in the name of Jesus.
When we know Jesus but not the Father, we really don't know Jesus for they are one. You must understand the Father and how He shaped the world to know the Son's place in it. Knowing only the OT gives a shadow, a symbol of the Son, so you know about the Son. Knowing only the NT gives a smattering of the Father. Knowing both is to know God.