are you a spender or a saver?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
I'm sorry @Lanolin to derail your thread with my family issues. Thanks for your advice and words of wisdom @Lanolin, @justahumanbeing and @TheIndianGirl.

Can we change the topic?

Maybe about New Years Resolutions to change or maintain spending habits?
I can start. I plan to splurge less. COVID made it easy for me to fall deeper into this bad habit.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
He does ask but sometimes they will tell him no. I think he asks me because I would rarely say no.

He's not poor and gifts his friends. He complains the allowance isn't enough but doesn't want to work even though he'd get paid much more. He's familiar with 2 Thessalonians 3:10 but wants to wait for the perfect job not work any ole job. I'll stay out of it and just offer advice if he ever asks.
dont be a soft touch
You got to say no

its easy..practice saying it. NO.

I cant help you. No. Nope.

Even if he whines and hangs around, just say NO.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm sorry @Lanolin to derail your thread with my family issues. Thanks for your advice and words of wisdom @Lanolin, @justahumanbeing and @TheIndianGirl.

Can we change the topic?

Maybe about New Years Resolutions to change or maintain spending habits?
I can start. I plan to splurge less. COVID made it easy for me to fall deeper into this bad habit.
sure.

Do you keep a personal budget? I find thats helpful to track things for a month to get an idea of how much you spend daily, weekly and monthly. some people never do this and have no idea what they spend on non essential stuff.
In work you need to do this too, otherwise you'll never be trusted with a budget.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
sure.

Do you keep a personal budget? I find thats helpful to track things for a month to get an idea of how much you spend daily, weekly and monthly. some people never do this and have no idea what they spend on non essential stuff.
In work you need to do this too, otherwise you'll never be trusted with a budget.
I don't keep track. I'd feel too restricted.

Do you budget with an app or good old fashioned spreadsheets?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
at work I have an app but its a library one to keep track of how many books I buy for school. I get given a certain amount.

when I did my own I just wrote it down in a notebook, but you could use a spreadsheet.

what works for me is I transfer a fixed amount each time into spending, the rest goes into savings. and when it runs out I transfer the same fixed amount. Its always less than what I earn so I have some left for savings and I dont overspend. I dont feel restricted...if theres no money left then I dont buy more as I dont actually need it.

I dont know how people live beyond their means, they must be using heaps of credit cards all the time, or spending on things they dont need. I cant be bothered with credit cards!

The only time I splurge is if I am given EXTRA money to splurge! Gift cards or rewards or something...you need to spend them before they expire so dont wait too long or you miss out. I think that works for me.

I learned never to have too much money in a spending account as it can be stolen or spent in a flash and sometimes you wont notice.

T

TheIndianGirl

I keep track of my spending frequently as I do bill pay through my bank online which forces me to check my account. I probably look at my account at least once a week. So, if I bought food more one week, I keep in mind to reduce the amount I buy food the following week, etc. I also do automatic deductions from checking to savings so that helps to organize my finances.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
cheque books now a thing of the past....
But you still need to keep a balance or reconcile things. If youve got online banking its quite easy to keep track. You can even get alerts when you account gets down to a certain amount.

Make whatever money you have work for you not the other way round.

Sometimes I think we all ought to pray for debts to be forgiven, the world over. Children living in poverty have no choice as to their situation that their parents and previous generations got themselves into due to wars etc

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Both... I save as much as I can but I also splurge on items that enhances my life. I don’t have debt and pay off my cards each month to get the cash back.