Are you happy in what you allow?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 1, 2015
Romans 14

Vs 1: Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. (2) For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

Vs 14: I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Vs 22: Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Vs 23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

What do you think about this? Are you happy in what you allow?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions." Romans 14:1 ESV

"I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean." Romans 14:14 ESV

"
22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves.23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. Romans 14:22-23 ESV

First you need to put these passages into modern English. I personally have never studied KJ English and there are so many word changes from the 1600s to today plus obscure words, I do not think most people understand what they are reading. But if KJV works for them, that is ok.

"Allow" in modern English doesn't mean the same thing as "approve." In Greek, the word for "approve is:

δοκιμάζει or dokimazei which is the present, indicative, active in 3rd person singular. It means "to approve after tesing and examination.

"σὺ πίστιν [a]ἣν ἔχεις κατὰ σεαυτὸν ἔχε ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ. μακάριος ὁ μὴ κρίνων ἑαυτὸν ἐν ᾧ δοκιμάζει·" Romans 14:22 Greek

Second, you have cherry picked the verse to find something to support your doctrines. Context is everything!

For example, why did you leave out the instructive verse 19? This is a beautiful verse, which could wll be the central theme of this chapter. Greeks, including Paul often used chiasms, where the first and last verses led up to and away from theme located in the center of the chapter and in poety.

"So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding." Romans 14:19

As for verse 22, it is taken out of a section specifically about eating, and whether or not to keep the Jewish dietary laws. As you can see in Acts 15, the Jerusalem council did not specify that Gentile Christians had keep the dietary laws, except the following:

"For it was the Holy Spirit’s decision—and ours—to put no greater burden on you than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from food offered to idols, from blood, from eating anything that has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. You will do well if you keep yourselves from these things." Acts15:28-29

I am very fussy about what I eat. No dairy, red meat, or junk food. I try to eat organically and grow my own vegetables the summer. After testing and examing what I have been eating, I approve of it!

I hope that was the answer you were looking for!

Jul 1, 2015

First you need to put these passages into modern English.

I really don't.

"Allow" in modern English doesn't mean the same thing as "approve." In Greek, the word for "approve is:

δοκιμάζει or dokimazei which is the present, indicative, active in 3rd person singular. It means "to approve after tesing and examination.

"σὺ πίστιν [a]ἣν ἔχεις κατὰ σεαυτὸν ἔχε ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ. μακάριος ὁ μὴ κρίνων ἑαυτὸν ἐν ᾧ δοκιμάζει·" Romans 14:22 Greek

Really not impressed!

Second, you have cherry picked the verse to find something to support your doctrines. Context is everything!

I have done no such thing and I was clearly asking a question, not pushing any doctrine.

For example, why did you leave out the instructive verse 19? This is a beautiful verse, which could wll be the central theme of this chapter. Greeks, including Paul often used chiasms, where the first and last verses led up to and away from theme located in the center of the chapter and in poety.

Because it is my post and not yours! I can use which scriptures I like to ask questions.

As for verse 22, it is taken out of a section specifically about eating, and whether or not to keep the Jewish dietary laws. As you can see in Acts 15, the Jerusalem council did not specify that Gentile Christians had keep the dietary laws, except the following:

"For it was the Holy Spirit’s decision—and ours—to put no greater burden on you than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from food offered to idols, from blood, from eating anything that has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. You will do well if you keep yourselves from these things." Acts15:28-29

I am well aware of that.

I am very fussy about what I eat. No dairy, red meat, or junk food. I try to eat organically and grow my own vegetables the summer. After testing and examing what I have been eating, I approve of it!

I hope that was the answer you were looking for!
I was looking for some discussion since this is the forum for it.

I am not sure "fussy" is the same as "happy" in the way in which Paul means it. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet over something...whatever is troubling you is not troubling me, as you seem to be accusing!

A

atwhatcost

Romans 14

Vs 1: Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. (2) For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

Vs 14: I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Vs 22: Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Vs 23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Rarely, but then again I think all people should eat frog legs, escargot, hasenfeffer, and quail. The balance does come though, mostly because people keep thinking I should eat cow and pig, but I can't. I literally don't have the stomach for it.

So, rarely, but then God reminds me who I am, so he corrects my stubborn mind.

(Yes, I know you weren't talking food, but food helps me to remember the general lesson.)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Romans 14

yes, as Christians, we do have the liberty but it's best not to use our freedom or flaunt it if it causes a weaker brother/sister to stumble.

V

Viligant_Warrior

I'm exceptionally happy in what I allow.

I allow myself the freedom I have in Christ.

I allow myself to bask in His love and mercy each and every day.

I allow myself to give in to the desire to glorify Him for what He has done for me, a sinner.

I allow myself to give thanks every day to God for the Deity of Christ, His salvation by faith through His own grace, the gift of salvation and eternal life I have as a result of that faith through His death and resurrection, the Gospel of Christ which came to my by the power of the Holy Spirit who drew me, called me, and opened my mind to His truth.

I allow myself to be used of God each and every day to His glory.

That's what I allow, which again makes me exceptionally happy and joyous in Christ.

B

BradC

There are many things that we allow for outside of food being offered to idols, but nothing is unclean of itself. Today there is a measure of righteousness that believers equate with spirituality that has to do with what they eat in preserving their spirit, soul and body blameless. There is a measure of merit in that, but it does not add a single cubit to our measure of spirituality. If we eat certain food we know may not be good for us in the long run, because we can not afford or have opportunity to eat the other, then we are to pray and ask God to sanctify what we have been given. This should not be an issue between believers because we are one body and should have all things in common.

If I am offered a meal of food that I would never eat in my own home, I eat that food prepare for me in good conscience and as to not offend the one who has prepared it. God will sanctify that food through the word of God and prayer. If a homeless man offers you a piece of chicken he found in the local trash can because that is all he had and you were hungry, would you eat it trusting God as not to offend the one who offered it? The prodigal ate of the husk of the corn in the mud pits of the swine when he was faint and no harm came to him. When doing missions in a far country you are offered by a tribe a delicacy that violates your own conscience would you eat by faith and thank God for it or would run the risk that rejecting their food would be a jester of rejecting them? Think about it.

Happy is the man that condemneth himself not in that which he alloweth.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Every man's ways are right in his own eyes. God pondereth the heart of man.

The question really ought to be is God happy with what I allow?

For the cause of Christ
Roger