Are you Sanctified by God!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

iog

Banned
Jan 4, 2013
sanc·ti·fy\-ˌfī\
transitive verb
1 : to set apart to a sacred purpose or to religious use : consecrate
2 : to free from sin : purify
3 a : to impart or impute sacredness, inviolability, or respect to
b : to give moral or social sanction to
4 : to make productive of holiness or piety <observe the day of the sabbath, to sanctify it — Deuteronomy 5:12(Douay Version)>
Other forms: sanc·ti·fied; sanc·ti·fy·ing

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I think a walk away from the KJV of the Bible and into the Greek might help a few people.

Sanctification is a process. It starts when we are justified by faith.

"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1

"For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified." Hebrews 10:14

Next, God works on us, transforming us. This is the progressive part of Sanctification.

"I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification." Romans 6:19

We will never be "perfect" or "complete" in this lifetime. Maturity might be the best word of all:

"Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God," Hebrews 6:1

"Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ." Col. 1:28

The word in Greek is τέλιος.

Final stage is glorification:

"And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." Romans 8:30.

If you are trying to keep all of God's commands, that is called "legalism". We cannot be "perfect" in this life. Only grow more and more mature till the day we see Christ.

"Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is." 1 John 3:2

"For now we see obscurely in a mirror,
but then it will be face to face.
Now I know partly; then I will know fully,
just as God has fully known me." 1 Cor. 13:12

Feb 17, 2010
Angela do you think MATURITY in God is not perfect? Do you think the MATURITY God works us into is not perfection of the WORK of God? In other words, do you think a person MATURE in Christ is still imperfect?

It does not matter what word you use to twist the word PERFECT, EVEN AS FATHER IN HEAVEN IS PERFECT... God makes ALL His children perfect, RIGHT HERE ON EARTH.... Eph 4:11 to 13, says... UNTO A PERFECT MAN! To the fulness and stature and knowledge of Christ HIMSELF.

Call it MATURE, Call it PERFECT, Call it COMPLETE, whatever you want, but ALL God's Children are perfect and CANNOT sin. 1 John 3:9, 1 John 5:18, Matthew 5:48. Why can't they sin? Because the SEED of God remaineth (LIVES/STAYS/ABIDES) IN THEM, and they are BORN OF GOD!

No matter how we want to prove otherwise, it is the SOLE work of God to SANCTIFY, and to GLORIFY... That Glorification is the SEAL and the COMPLETION, and the MATURITY of the person, when GOD MAKES HIM PERFECT... God calls it a GODLY LIFE! When God MADE that person to LIVE A LIFE PLEASING GOD!... Only perfection CAN please God! That is why HE HAD TO MAKE THEM PERFECT.

God says. ALL who are IN CHRIST, is a NEW creature... OLD things are gone, past away, BEHOLD God made EVERYTHING NEW.... And that NEW is Christ Jesus in a person. Holy, sanctified, glorified and PERFECT!

This is the ONLY Truth God has in His Word.

Jan 11, 2013
Now we gonna have someone who will say that the law an we are not under Moses law or that OT laws?

We are not under any of it unto righteousness, lets read:

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. [SUP]5 [/SUP]For when we were in the realm of the flesh,[SUP][a][/SUP] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. [SUP]6 [/SUP]But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

What law is Paul speaking of here? He gives a personal example from his own life

The Law and Sin

[SUP]7 [/SUP]What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”(one of the ten commandments)[SUP][b][/SUP] [SUP]8 [/SUP]But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. [SUP]9 [/SUP]Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. [SUP]10 [/SUP]I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. [SUP]11 [/SUP]For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death.

Rom7:4-11

As for the OT laws, lets read what the Gentiles were asked to keep.

Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood
Acts15:20
Three of the above are widely believed to hjave been included to appease jewish legalists, however:

I am pretty sure I don't eat food that has been polluted by idols, I am faithful to my wife, obviously I don't know when I go the shop if I buy meat whether the meat belongs to an animal that has been strangled or not, but ignorance is bliss, if I don't know I can't be wilfully breaking the OT laws the early church asked the Gentiles to keep, simple really:)

Last edited: