Are You Self Righteous?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

The Law can't tell me how to do this?

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
no it does not

it says do not commit adultry. the command does not tell you how to accomplish, just gives you guideline to how well you are doing.

Mar 4, 2013
unfortunately i don't think anyone here would come and admit that they are self righteous, but self righteous is taking things in your own hands, like what alot of people do instead of letting God live the life for them through his spirit
You are so right that people "would come and admit that they are self righteous." Others will do that for them.:cool::confused:

Mar 3, 2013
Telling others what to do
Even though we cannot attain the righteousness of God through our own behavior, Christians are commanded to live godly lives.14 It is all fine and well that religious people want to live their lives with their own version of morality. However, why do Christians insist on telling others how they should live? It turns out that the Bible actually tells believers (both Jews and Christians) to warn others if their behavior does not meet God's standards.15 If we fail to warn the wicked, God will require their blood by our hands.16 However, if the wicked person turns from their sin, then even the evil they have committed in the past will be forgiven and forgotten by God.17 So, a Christian's motivation for telling others how they should behave is not one of self-righteousness, but one of concern for the fate of the other person's soul.

Conclusion
Christians who act as if they are better than everyone else are certainly not living by the creeds of Christianity, and may not even be Christians at all. Christianity says that all people are sinners, and none can be righteous on the basis of their own behavior. Jesus said that we should not act like we are better than others just to get noticed. Such a "holier-than-thou" attitude is strongly condemned in the Bible. When Christians tell others that their behavior does not meet God's standards, it is not to try to be superior, but rather to warn them of the peril to their soul in light of their actions.
You are so right! I guess they confuse this with blowing the trumpet of warning...but that's what happens when people don't STUDY all scripture concerning a given subject.

Sep 4, 2012
Works of law are the root of self-righteousness. Whether it be the law of Moses, or the law of one's church, or the law of one's own mind, or the law of whatever, works of law are the antithesis of faith; and without faith it is impossible to please GOD. So any works of law do not please GOD.

Self-righteousness says 'I have done something righteous'; faith says 'Christ has done something righteous'. Faith looks away from self and focuses on Christ; self-righteousness looks away from Christ and focuses on self.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
I would, because I AM better than everyone else here.
:p
You may be saying this in jest, but I think you truly believe it based
on your "I keep the Sabbath because I'm better than you" threads.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
It is not politically correct to stand for anything anymore. Homosexuality is an abomination. Man, I probably could be convicted of an hate crime for saying that.

It is a sin to tell a little white lie. Look, if you don't want somone to tell you that your @$$ is big, don't ask "Does this dress make my @$$ look big?" If it does and someone says so, then don't be offended. You asked.
If my wife asked one of her friends if a certain dress made her ass look fat,
her friend would probably respond, "Why would your husband wear that dress?"

O

overcomer2

I sometimes use a dictionary to understand spiritual things and sometime not. Self-righteous can also be where you point out the sins of others without realizing your own failures.
My righteousness is in him. But I do believe in being Holy. That is not a cuss word in my book its one to strive for.
1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

To be righteous is to be right. That is what righteousness is. We want to strive to do right and be right. Many will bet offended in the last days. Love the sinner. Hate the sin.

O

overcomer2

I was saved from great peril because a woman had the boldness to let me know what sin I was committing. I believe when your heart really wants to know the truth about a matter, it can receive it even if it cuts the flesh.

Sep 4, 2012
What Law? You have been trying to convince me the Law is no longer in force. I believe, on the other hand, that God writes His Law on our hearts and minds.
GOD hasn't written anything on anyone's heart. That is just figurative language for the indwelling holy spirit: the new law.

Jul 27, 2011
11 CORINTHIANS 10:2-3; But i beseech you, that i may not be bold when i am present with that confidence, wherewith i think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

zone

Jun 13, 2010
GOD hasn't written anything on anyone's heart. That is just figurative language for the indwelling holy spirit: the new law.
2 Corinthians 3
1Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some, letters of commendation to you or from you? 2You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts

zone

Jun 13, 2010
11 CORINTHIANS 10:2-3; But i beseech you, that i may not be bold when i am present with that confidence, wherewith i think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
Paul & The Apostles:

2 Corinthians 10
1I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!— 2I beg of you that when I am present I may not have to show boldness with such confidence as I count on showing against some who suspect us of walking according to the flesh. 3For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 6 being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
"The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:31

If we keep this in our hearts and minds, then perhaps we would be less likely to think ourselves better than others??

Jul 25, 2013
"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 6:1)

Ultimately, we do not attain righteousness until we die and are rewarded with righteousness in heaven.13/QUOTE OP

So tell me, how do you practice something you don't have to begin with according to your understanding of it?

Abraham....and it was (at the time in his life "is") accounted to him for righteousness. According to scripture Abraham was/is righteous while he is here on earth, not after he dies, and his reward, does it say righteousness will be his/our reward?