As I Lay Dying Just Got Better!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

Ugly

How does the singer of AILD doing a new band make AILD better?

Also, from what i understand, this is not a Christian project. And it seems Tim's beliefs have altered somewhat..

''I am still inspired by the words of the man who told us to “love our enemies” and to serve “the least of these.” Regardless of where a person stands religiously, that is simply a better way to live, full of compassion, and alleviating our selfish suffering as we put our energy into serving those worse off than ourselves.” - Tim Lambesis

Regardless of where a person stands religiously.. easily can be taken as 'there is no right or wrong, there is no absolute truth, there is no one path to god'. All we have to do is live a good life and serve others and we're fine.
This concept is, of course, contradictory to what the bible teaches.
Also, the guitarist for this band is also from the band Allegaeon, which appears to be an atheist band, going by their lyrics.

Z

zaoman32

I haven't heard the most recent AILD, but the powerless rise still had some religious foundation to it, though watered down slightly from, say, Frail Words Collapse.

I think it's sad someone who was as blatant and open about their beliefs as Tim was is just another musician watering down their message to make it easier to swallow.

T

TosinAsLeader

How does the singer of AILD doing a new band make AILD better?
It was just like a catch phrase or something. I just like this new project alot.

Also, from what i understand, this is not a Christian project. And it seems Tim's beliefs have altered somewhat..
Altered? I don't see how, but ok.

''I am still inspired by the words of the man who told us to “love our enemies” and to serve “the least of these.” Regardless of where a person stands religiously, that is simply a better way to live, full of compassion, and alleviating our selfish suffering as we put our energy into serving those worse off than ourselves.” - Tim Lambesis

Regardless of where a person stands religiously.. easily can be taken as 'there is no right or wrong, there is no absolute truth, there is no one path to god'. All we have to do is live a good life and serve others and we're fine.
This concept is, of course, contradictory to what the bible teaches.
The lyrics to the song "The Invention of Hatred"

Am I the invention of hatred?
Or was hatred born in me?
Life delivered by indifference
Callous to suffering
Progress that is fueled without purpose
An engine of entropy
Built with detail yet still left heartless
Like a machine
Some accept that there is no point
But we still learn to survive
Death's the only means that we have to move on and refine

The truth appears to be empty
We face chaos and entropy

A seemingly cruel process leaving us with so much pain
And even one small moment of pleasure is from countless hours of misery
The invention of hatred

Callous to suffering
You can remove good and evil
But we're still left with the burden of sorrow
It would be battle if there were even two sides at war
The invention of hatred

Chaos
Chaos and entropy

Their fb page even said that there lyrics are self-explanatory.

Also, the guitarist for this band is also from the band Allegaeon, which appears to be an atheist band, going by their lyrics.
Even if it is, I still like the band regardless. In fact I have a song or 2 of Allegaeon on my ipod.

T

TosinAsLeader

I haven't heard the most recent AILD, but the powerless rise still had some religious foundation to it, though watered down slightly from, say, Frail Words Collapse.

I think it's sad someone who was as blatant and open about their beliefs as Tim was is just another musician watering down their message to make it easier to swallow.
Explain......... if you can?

U

Ugly

It was just like a catch phrase or something. I just like this new project alot.

Altered? I don't see how, but ok.

The lyrics to the song "The Invention of Hatred"

Callous to suffering
Progress that is fueled without purpose
An engine of entropy
Built with detail yet still left heartless
Like a machine
Some accept that there is no point
But we still learn to survive
Death's the only means that we have to move on and refine

A seemingly cruel process leaving us with so much pain
And even one small moment of pleasure is from countless hours of misery
The invention of hatred

Callous to suffering
You can remove good and evil
But we're still left with the burden of sorrow
It would be battle if there were even two sides at war
The invention of hatred

Chaos
Chaos and entropy

Their fb page even said that there lyrics are self-explanatory.

Even if it is, I still like the band regardless. In fact I have a song or 2 of Allegaeon on my ipod.
Lyrics always have a level of interpretation. People will always see it through their own filters. The best way to know how an artist feels is not what he decides to put up with days, weeks or months of thought, but his own personal words.

Second, i didn't say anything about whether or not you should listen to the band. I simply informed you that it was not Christian, and as this is a Christian Music Forum that it seemed relevant to make it known the band you're posting on is not, in fact, Christian.

Z

zaoman32

Explain......... if you can?

Look at the lyrics to songs such as Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier, or 94 Hours in comparison to their more recent works. They went from very obviously Christ-centered, almost praise and worship styled lyrics to very positive lyrics with very vague is any references to God.

Also in comparison to earlier interviews with the one Ugly posted. Tim made absolutely no question about where his faith, and no question about the beliefs he had, rather than yet another vague reference, "THE MAN who told us to...", quite honestly if this interview was done about 10 years ago, he probably would have been a little less appeasing and not so sugar coated. I have no doubt Tim is still a christian, but as I have seen so many times, and I'm sure Ugly has to, Christians spending a good deal of time taking center stage in the mainstream eventually go from very straight forward, direct christian messages, to more vague references.

I don't say this to down play any ministry Tim and AILD has had, pretty much ever christian band who has been in the mainstream has gone through this and has still had a major effect as a ministry. These are just the facts, regardless it's still sad to see message compromised for appeasing.

M

MySavior

Their lead singer is in prision but his wife set him up.

D

DorothyG

I used to listen to As I Lay Dying before I gave my life to Christ.
I'm sorry but they are in no way a Christian band nor is any of their music Christian.
May I remind you:
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8 NLT)

I know it's hard to give up things like our favorite bands... Sometimes I can still hear the main riff and chorus of "The Darkest Nights" but none of their music is God honoring.
God is willing to help change your desires. Believe me. He changed mine. Please consider asking him, for your own benefit.

God bless!

U

Ugly

Problem i have with people who make these statements is there's always things they involve themselves in that doesn't line up with their beliefs. Rarely have i seen people who take things this far not watch secular tv, movies, read secular books or some other such thing.
Also, the bible teaches what is wrong for one person isn't always the same for another. Perhaps God had His own reasons for pulling you from such things. But this doesn't make it right for all people. Though usually this argument is ignored when presented because it pokes holes in the idea that their view is the only view.

M

MySavior

Then why is he in prison if they know it was a set up?
report saids that allegedly attempting to hire a hitman to murder his estranged wife.
allegedly approached someone at a gym and asked if he knew anyone who would kill his wife.
His wife had all that planed out for him.

M

MySavior

anyway I saw em live two years ago and they were awesome.
My fav album is An Ocean Between Us

D

DorothyG

These verses came to mind:

"Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body. And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need. Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:21-32 NLT)

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (Romans 12:2 NLT)

Forgive me for sounding judgmental. These are just MY experiences, like you said, what may be wrong for one may not be wrong for another. As I Lay Dying and other similar bands affected my thinking and perception. It's wrong for me and many others who have a similar past.

U

Ugly

report saids that allegedly attempting to hire a hitman to murder his estranged wife.
allegedly approached someone at a gym and asked if he knew anyone who would kill his wife.
His wife had all that planed out for him.
Did she allegedly plan to have him tell an undercover cop he wanted her dead also?