As Iron sharpens Iron

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Not familiar with that music, it's nice. Just curious how /when you found it, like on the radio, a movie,,,etc?
Irish singer, songwriter and musician Enya was very popular back in the day... That song is from Watermark, her second
studio album, released in September 1988. Probably the most recognized song of hers, also from Watermark, was this one:

She had a number of CD releases after that, too, and they all charted
well, being full of wonderful, soothing, ambient songs/sounds :D

Now that you mention it, I do not recall how I came across her music :unsure: But I do have many of her CDs :)

*The Orinoco is a river in South America ;)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Enya is the best-selling Irish solo artist in history :D And the second-best-selling overall in Ireland behind U2 ;)

Have you heard of the Celtic band Clannad? She was part of that family ensemble before pursuing her solo career.

And of course, solo does not mean completely alone. LOL. Always there are others supporting the visionaries.

Davy Spillane played the uillean pipes on Enya's Watermark (and also on Celine Dion's My Heart Will go On).

I mention him because he was a major player for Richard Souther on his renditions of
Hildegard von Bingen's music/chants. I have posted about them numerous times over
my seven years here :giggle: Hildegard is one of the best-known composers of sacred monophony,
as well as the most recorded in modern history. Richard's treatment of her music is nothing
short of inspired. He completely reworked her chants with the backing of accomplished musicians.
I am often amused by the fact that the first CD (Vision: The Music of Hildegard von Bingen)
has a nun performing some of the vocals :unsure::giggle: Sister Germaine Fritz from the Order of Saint Boniface :)

@TabinRivCA I do remember how I found this music and will tell you the story if you want to hear it :D

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Enya is the best-selling Irish solo artist in history :D And the second-best-selling overall in Ireland behind U2 ;)

Have you heard of the Celtic band Clannad? She was part of that family ensemble before pursuing her solo career.

And of course, solo does not mean completely alone. LOL. Always there are others supporting the visionaries.

Davy Spillane played the uillean pipes on Enya's Watermark (and also on Celine Dion's My Heart Will go On).

I mention him because he was a major player for Richard Souther on his renditions of
Hildegard von Bingen's music/chants. I have posted about them numerous times over
my seven years here :giggle: Hildegard is one of the best-known composers of sacred monophony,
as well as the most recorded in modern history. Richard's treatment of her music is nothing
short of inspired. He completely reworked her chants with the backing of accomplished musicians.
I am often amused by the fact that the first CD (Vision: The Music of Hildegard von Bingen)
has a nun performing some of the vocals :unsure::giggle: Sister Germaine Fritz from the Order of Saint Boniface :)

@TabinRivCA I do remember how I found this music and will tell you the story if you want to hear it :D
I was into all kinds of music and even Techno, my friends didn't care for it but every Sat nite I would put on DJ Linwood, lol. My room, my music.
Yes, would love to hear the story, M!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I was into all kinds of music and even Techno, my friends didn't care for it
but every Sat nite I would put on DJ Linwood, lol. My room, my music.
Yes, would love to hear the story, M!
Vision – The Music of Hildegard von Bingen” won the Billboard Classical/Crossover album of the year
award in 1994, which was the same year I got clean and sober. It must have been some time around
then when one of our "regular" professional photographers brought in a photo of the first MacDonald's
in Moscow, which I wanted a copy of for my brother, because he trained the people that were going to be
working there (years earlier, since Russia and Micky D's became acquainted in 1990). Anyways, in exchange
for a copy of this Muscovite Micky D's, the photographer wanted a case of a certain type of beer. I asked at
the Legion near where I worked but they did not carry it, so I walked along a popular avenue a few blocks
to the nearest neighbourhood pub to check to see if they had it there (they did!). But before I got there,
I passed by a used record/CD store, and popped in to see if anything caught my fancy. Well, a CD with a
picture of a nun that had a kite flying behind her piqued my interest, so I asked to listen to it, and was
mesmerized by the very first thing I heard! I did not hesitate to buy it. I have his second release of her
music also (done by Richard Souther), called Illumination: The Fire Of The Spirit. I have listened endlessly
to both for many years since then, recorded it to share with others, sent it to perfect strangers, and generally
never lost my love for what he did with her chants.

Hildegard von Bingen is a woman worth looking into. She was born in Germany in 1098 and tithed
to the church by her parents, being the tenth child in her family. She grew up to become the Abbess
of the Monastery where she lived and she removed all the nuns from the presence of the monks in an
act of independence unknown in her time. She was well versed in the healing power of herbs and
gemstones, and understood the workings of the human body better than most men of her time.
She had visions that she turned into artwork, and they may have informed some of her musical
writings as well. She did write in Latin, so that is the language of Richard Souther's arrangements
of her music. The CDs come with quite extensive little booklets translating the lyrics into multiple
languages as well as showcasing some of her artwork and writing about the musicians. If you
like more modern songs sung in Latin I would also highly recommend Pilgrimage - 9 songs of Ecstasy :)

I had a CD by Robery Miles :) Was he techno? :unsure:

This is what I first heard of Hildegard :)

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Interesting genres, it would be compelling to play the music at times of repose (I'm even pulling up words I rarely use, lol). Such a neat experience you had, thx so much for sharing the beautiful story & music💛

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Interesting genres, it would be compelling to play the music at times of repose (I'm even pulling up words I rarely use, lol). Such a neat experience you had, thx so much for sharing the beautiful story & music💛
You are welcome! :D Right around then I started listening to Delerium, also, and this was before
they started adding female vocalists available from the label they had signed with here, the same
one Sarah McLachlan ended up with, and she sang with them as well. Back then they were very
industrial but very different too (they came out of Front Line Assembly). I had one of those
mail-order memberships to a CD selling machine, Columbia Records? Anyways, Semantic Spaces
looked interesting, and I ordered it. It was their seventh studio album, and featured guest musicians
Greg Reely and Kristy Thirsk, who was dubbed "The Voice of Delerium" for providing vocals to "Flowers
Become Screens," "Incantation," "Metamorphosis" and "Flatlands." I think of Greg Reely as part of the
band. "Karma" was their next CD, and it had Sarah McLachlan's "Silence" on it :)

Just really loved their musical machinations also. Karma, Poem, and Chimera especially :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Fallen Icons // Delerium; vocalist Zoë Johnston

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
No I haven't and I just remembered we were into Country Western when it seemed like so many hit songs were out at once. That was in my carnal Christian days. Here is a song I really like from back in the day.
Loretta Lynn's sister btw.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
No I haven't and I just remembered we were into Country Western when it seemed like so many hit songs were out at once. That was in my carnal Christian days. Here is a song I really like from back in the day.
Loretta Lynn's sister btw.
That's a nice song :) I am not that familiar with Crystal Gayle's music :unsure:

Coal Miner's Daughter was a movie we all saw, though :D

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
That was in my carnal Christian days.
Initially, I was not Christian when I was listening to those devotional chants;
I discovered them at least ten years before my conversion :D I don't remember
when it was I stopped wanting to hear the music of my generation all the time...
You know, classic rock. I sat in silence for a long time, and explored other genres.
Country was never high on my list :giggle: Not that I dislike it ;) In my early recovery,
I was exploring music that was a little "out there." I still like this song:

I Am is the Name
I am here to say
I Am is the Name
Of the Divine Mind

(repeat)

I am peace and love
I am the Word
Direct from my heart
Vibrate the world

(repeat)

The dove rests its wing
For the tree it sings
A divine melody
Sent forth to the world

(repeat)

I am peace and love
I am the Word
Direct from my heart
Vibrate the world

(repeat)

Hear the dolphin sing
The dolphin hears me
United one and all
Seventh day of the world

(repeat)

I am peace and love
I am the Word
Direct from my heart
Vibrate the world

(repeat)

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Thank you all for your kind words. Feeling very welcomed. :giggle:
Wait a while LOL

Seriously, there are some good people here, but like any place on earth, get enough people and you start to get a cross-section of humanity. Not always fun.