Assurance of Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Assurance of Salvation
(excerpt from article) How tragic it would be if we went through life thinking we were saved and then woke up on Judgment Day to find out we were mistaken! But the Bible teaches that this will be the case with many people. Christ said, "Many will say unto Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works? And then willI profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity" (Matt.7:22-23).

However, we do not have to go through life without the assurance of salvation. In 1 John 5:13 the apostle says, "These things have I written unto you...that ye may know that ye have eternal life." How then can we have this assurance? This is the most important question we will ever face in life because our eternal destiny is at stake! The Bible teaches that those who remain unsaved will spend eternity in a place of perpetual torment (Matt. 25:46; Rev. 14:9-11). The reason for this is because their sin has not been paid for, and God's perfect justice requires that payment be made for sin

(Rom. 6:23). Therefore, it is vital that we know the answer to this question.This is why the Apostle Peter wrote, "Give diligence to make your calling and election sure" (2 Pet. 1:10).

this is an article I was reading........not a complete endorsement, so don't take it that way.....One point I would discuss with the Author is what he said here: [The reason for this is because their sin has not been paid for, and God's perfect justice requires that payment be made for sin] Now it may be nitpicking, but in my opinion the sin HAS been paid for by the precious blood of Jesus the Christ...........the reason, in my opinion, is because they have chosen to reject Jesus the Christ, and their unbelief is why they will face an eternity of torment.......

Anyway, I thought is was worth reading and discussing............or not........TBD I suppose.

(for some reason the link provided is not authorized by Yahoo.......oops........will try to find a working link)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2011
That article is very deceptive.

The reason for this is because their sin has not been paid for, and God's perfect justice requires that payment be made for sin (Rom. 6:23).
Romans 6:23 says this...

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It says nothing about "God's perfect justice requires that payment be made for sin." Rather it simply teaches that sins wages is death. We see this evident in other verses like this...

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

The result of sin is death hence the wages of sin is death. Alternatively the gift to mankind is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ. Look at this verse...

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

The wages of sin being death is the law of sin and death. We are set free from this law via the Spirit of life that is IN Jesus Christ. Hence it is via abiding in the Spirit of Jesus Christ that sets us free from the law of sin and death. Why is this so? Well Paul goes on to explain...

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

In verse 3 Paul teaches that the law was ineffectual in setting men free from the law of sin and death because the law is weak through the flesh (for the law cannot reform the heart of man to effect true change) but Jesus came in the flesh (in the likeness of the flesh that people sin in [ie. sin being moral the flesh is not literally sinful] and Jesus condemned sin whilst in the flesh by defeating it for Jesus NEVER sinned one time. The reason He did this is so that the righteousness of the law be fulfilled IN us when we walk after the Spirit just like He did. Jesus was giving us an example to follow.

Life is found in mortifying the deeds of the body by the Spirit which is exactly what Jesus did when He walked the earth.

Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

It is in the Spirit that we find assurance of genuine salvation.

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Jesus came to set us free indeed from being in bondage to sin. When one is in bondage to sin they cannot be pardoned of their ongoing sin because they keep re-offending. The Bible teaches...

Pro 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Jer 26:13 Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.

God is willing to pardon sin but only on the condition we forsake it. This is why in Acts it is written...

Act 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

God wants to turn every individual away from their iniquities. This is why Jesus would say...

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Joh 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

The service of sin is the bondage that Jesus came to break. He came to cleanse us of all sin and make us pure in heart they we go and sin no more.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

We are literally redeemed or ransomed from all iniquity. The price that Jesus paid with His blood was a ransom price that would set us free from the bondage of sin and leave us clean whereby we can serve God acceptably (Heb 9:14). Jesus gave Himself that we follow His example (2Pet 2:21) and His blood enjoins us to the New Covenant (Heb 9:20) whereby we are purged of our former sins (Heb 9:22, 1Joh 1:7).

The article above is premised on the death of Christ being a "payment for sins" in the sense that Jesus literally "paid the penalty for sin as the sinners substitute." Thus with the payment being made it is not due anymore which is the basis of a sinner being set free from condemnation. This teaching is deadly to the soul because it serves to give assurance to people that their ongoing rebellion to God is covered by the blood of Jesus when it most certainly is not. The blood of Christ is to PURIFY we who are meant to be the living sacrifices (Rom 12:1-2) who present ourselves to God with true hearts (Heb 10:22) that we be washed clean of our iniquities. Hence David would say...

Psa 32:2 Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
Psa 32:11 Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

It is the pure in heart that will see God...

Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

It is those who work iniquity that will be rejected...

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

You'll notice that the article above totally ignores "working iniquity" in Matthew 7:23. This is because the premise of the article has NOTHING to do with the heart being made pure via the Spirit of life in Jesus Christ (Rom 8:2, 1Pet 1:21, Act 15:9) whereby one is truly set free from sin and therefore earning sins wages. Instead the premise of the article is of Jesus "paying sins wages for you" which the Bible simply does not teach anywhere. It is a very subtle but effectual satanic deception.

Another aspect put forth in the latter part of that article is that it is the regeneration of the believer that is the CAUSE of obedience to God. This is not true. Obedience to God is rooted in a repentance wrought by godly sorrow (2Cor 7:10) which is a response to the conviction wrought by the Holy Spirit of sin, righteousness and judgment (Joh 16:8). When we are broken in godly sorrow it produces the motivation to follow God because it is the right thing to do...

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
2Co 7:11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

Regeneration is something that occurs AFTER this takes place...

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

For we are not washed until we approach God with a true heart...

Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

This is why John would write...

1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

We cannot be walking in rebellion and be cleansed. We have to be walking in obedience to be cleansed having forsaken our rebellion. This is why repentance and conversion comes first and then our sins are blotted out at the time of refreshing by the presence of the Lord. The premise of that article has it backwards because it written within the context of Reformed Theology which at its root teaches INABILITY which is an Augustinian precept (from the Fourth Century) whereby man is deemed unable to turn to God due to being born corrupted due to the sin of Adam. Hence regeneration under this philosophy offsets inability.

Sinners are capably of turning to God for the grace of God has appeared to all men teaching them the way they ought to go (Tit 2:11-12). The condemnation is that men refuse the light because they love to do evil (Joh 3:19-21).

Notice how the above article does not ask the reader if they have truly repented. Instead the approach is in this fashion...

These changes are not the cause of our salvation for we are saved by faith (Eph. 2:8-9). But rather, they are the evidence that we truly have been born again. If they have not taken place in our life, then it is vital that we earnestly seek God and implore Him to regenerate us. He promises we will find Him if we seek Him with all our heart (Deut. 4:29), and the way to begin is by reading His Word. The Bible says, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Rom. 10:17).
That article teaches that sinners are to "implore God to regenrate them" apart from repentance. It is a very subtle twist based on the notion of total inability. Reformed Theology teaches that men simply cannot repent unless their inability is offset by the Irresistible Grace (I in TULIP) of God and therefore the real issue is recieving this "enabling grace" which "produces repentance." The truth in the Bible is that God's grace has appeared to all men already (Tit 2:11-12) and that God is already calling all men to repentance (2Pet 3:9). While we cannot regenerate ourselves we can all most certainly repent via godly sorrow.

I recommend sticking to the Bible and being very wary of the writings of men (including mine) because deception is everywhere and Jesus warned that MOST people who profess His name would be deceived. It is FEW who will be saved whilst MANY will be led astray. Therefore we have to be diligent to show ourselves approved.

God bless.

thesinmuststop.blogspot.com

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Skinski7, thanks for that comment.......God bless

Sep 11, 2013
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Jesus Christ is our assurance of our salvation.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Another aspect put forth in the latter part of that article is that it is the regeneration of the believer that is the CAUSE of obedience to God. This is not true.
The natural man is corrupt and totally depraved apart from God’s grace (Ephesians 2:1-3). Regeneration from God liberates him from the servitude to sin so that he can serve Him in obedient faith which is pleasing unto God. God removes the obstinate heart and replaces it with a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
My assurance of salvation is based on the promises of God.

John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
To look to self in anyway for assurance is like a struggling man in quicksand...it's a sure sink. Our assurance is in Him and Him crucified for our sins...alone.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
How is it that this subject is not better understood? We are saved by grace. We are regenerated the instant we ask Christ to save us from our sins. Repentance follows regeneration or else it is works. A dead man cannot repent of being a dead man. The man must be made alive in Christ to be able to repent.
Eph 2:10 tells us that works follow salvation. They are not a condition of salvation. Our assurance of salvation comes from the Holy Spirit witnessing with our spirit that we are the Lord's.
Why do so many confuse the process of sanctification with the act of salvation? Many will find themselves lost because they placed sanctification ahead of salvation so they will never reach glorification.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Nov 26, 2011
The natural man is corrupt and totally depraved apart from God’s grace (Ephesians 2:1-3). Regeneration from God liberates him from the servitude to sin so that he can serve Him in obedient faith which is pleasing unto God. God removes the obstinate heart and replaces it with a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).
The natural man corrupts himself by choosing to disobey God and serve sin. Thus man is fully responsible for his sin and not a victim of sin.

Ephesians 2:1-3 states...

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Sinners were not "born" dead in their sins, they die when they partake in sin as clearly taught in the Bible...

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Every man has light from birth which is by the grace of God for the grace of God has appeared to all men teaching us the way we ought to go.

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Now there is a time when sinners are not forgiven by grace because they have not repented whereby that "of times past" (Eph 2:3) is forsaken. We are not born children of wrath because God does not impute sin where there is no law (Rom 5:13) because sin has no power without the commandment (Rom 7:11) because sin that brings death involves CHOICE.

The liberation from the service of sin is via obedience to the truth (Rom 6:17) whereby one abides in the Spirit of life in Jesus Christ (Rom 8:2). Thus it is by walking according to the Spirit that we find life.

When modern theology claims that the "natural man is corrupt apart from the grace of God" it is usually within the context of a "birth nature" where the "grace of God has not been applied yet." Thus human beings are said to sin of necessity due to the nature they were born with which shifts the blame for sin from the choice of the sinner to the state of their birth.

Your response what you quoted I expect is in the context of me upholding that the Augustinian doctrine of Original Sin is false and alien to the Scripture. I don't deny grace or claim that man in and of himself is pure. What I do deny is "an offsetting of natural inability grace" because the grace of God is ALREADY ACTIVE in all men from their birth and when they are able to reason it is the CHOOSING TO SIN that corrupts them not a birth state.

Nov 26, 2011
How is it that this subject is not better understood? We are saved by grace. We are regenerated the instant we ask Christ to save us from our sins. Repentance follows regeneration or else it is works. A dead man cannot repent of being a dead man. The man must be made alive in Christ to be able to repent.
Eph 2:10 tells us that works follow salvation. They are not a condition of salvation. Our assurance of salvation comes from the Holy Spirit witnessing with our spirit that we are the Lord's.
Why do so many confuse the process of sanctification with the act of salvation? Many will find themselves lost because they placed sanctification ahead of salvation so they will never reach glorification.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
This "not of works" fallacy has overtaken the minds of so many. When the Bible teaches that salvation is not of works the context is in regards to the works of the law. In other words salvation is not OUTWARD IN but is rather INSIDE OUT. We are saved by the grace of God (the working of His Spirit) which we abide or cooperate with by faith, hence we are saved by grace THROUGH faith and not of ourselves. Salvation cannot be wrought independent of God but involves "working together" with God (2Cor 6:1). This is why REPENTANCE is the first things that Jesus preached. Without repenting of one's rebellion to God and therefore turning to God one simply cannot cooperate or work together with God.

It is complete wrong to clain that "repentance follows regeneration." Satan wants people to believe that because then THEY WAIT ON GOD TO CHANGE THEM instead of cleansing themselves like James teaches.

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

James clearly stated it like this...

Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

It is impossible to receive with meekness the engrafted word without laying aside all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness.

Paul taught it like this...

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

We MUST die to sin. We MUST die to the service of sin in repentance otherwise the sin will NEVER stop. God will not change the desires of someone against their will. It is up to us to utilise what God has given us just like Noah utilised the knowledge and instruction on building the ark. Noah was saved by his faith and likewise we are saved by our faith if it is genuine faith. Genuine faith is DOING FAITH or WORKING FAITH. Not works of the law but works of faith. We must be DOERS of the word. It is a deception to claim that all one has to do is cry out to God and then wait for Him to "make them doers" for it will never happen. This is why the modern day professing Church is utterly dead to God and is still in the service of sin. They have bought into a DO NOTHING Gospel.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
This "not of works" fallacy has overtaken the minds of so many. When the Bible teaches that salvation is not of works the context is in regards to the works of the law. In other words salvation is not OUTWARD IN but is rather INSIDE OUT. We are saved by the grace of God (the working of His Spirit) which we abide or cooperate with by faith, hence we are saved by grace THROUGH faith and not of ourselves. Salvation cannot be wrought independent of God but involves "working together" with God (2Cor 6:1). This is why REPENTANCE is the first things that Jesus preached. Without repenting of one's rebellion to God and therefore turning to God one simply cannot cooperate or work together with God.

It is complete wrong to clain that "repentance follows regeneration." Satan wants people to believe that because then THEY WAIT ON GOD TO CHANGE THEM instead of cleansing themselves like James teaches.

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

James clearly stated it like this...

Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

It is impossible to receive with meekness the engrafted word without laying aside all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness.

Paul taught it like this...

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

We MUST die to sin. We MUST die to the service of sin in repentance otherwise the sin will NEVER stop. God will not change the desires of someone against their will. It is up to us to utilise what God has given us just like Noah utilised the knowledge and instruction on building the ark. Noah was saved by his faith and likewise we are saved by our faith if it is genuine faith. Genuine faith is DOING FAITH or WORKING FAITH. Not works of the law but works of faith. We must be DOERS of the word. It is a deception to claim that all one has to do is cry out to God and then wait for Him to "make them doers" for it will never happen. This is why the modern day professing Church is utterly dead to God and is still in the service of sin. They have bought into a DO NOTHING Gospel.
We are already dead in trespass and sin. We will need to be quickened before we can do anything. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God. The doing comes after we have heard. The doing is receiving what Christ has done.

Your way does not lead to eternal life. God be merciful to me a sinner. Come into my heart and save me. Is the most powerful prayer that man can utter. The only one he can utter when convicted of sin, righteousness, and judgment by the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
quote from Skinski7: This "not of works" fallacy has overtaken the minds of so many. When the Bible teaches that salvation is not of works the context is in regards to the works of the law. In other words salvation is not OUTWARD IN but is rather INSIDE OUT. We are saved by the grace of God (the working of His Spirit) which we abide or cooperate with by faith, hence we are saved by grace THROUGH faith and not of ourselves. Salvation cannot be wrought independent of God but involves "working together" with God (2Cor 6:1). This is why REPENTANCE is the first things that Jesus preached. Without repenting of one's rebellion to God and therefore turning to God one simply cannot cooperate or work together with God.

end quote.......

Wow, this is certainly a new slant on "works." But you are entitled to your opinion......and God bless........

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Thank all of you for your comments, I'm enjoying reading them.......