Attacks on Christian Music

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 6, 2014
Wow. Just about everything is getting attacked these days, specifically those who have set out to follow God's call on their life and His plan. Christian Music is no exception.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every musician who proclaims to be Christian and is on Christian radio is necessarily following or serving God. It's just that oftentimes, the ones who I feel God speaking to me through their songs (I was suicidal driving home on a freeway late at night, not a good combination. A song came on the radio, "Here for a reason", it literally saved my life) are ridiculed, while those who I feel are being very "lukewarm" about Jesus and God in their songs are glossed over or accepted. It's wrong. (BTW, don't ask me to list names of musicians or bands I think are following God or not. It is not my place to judge them and whether they truly walk with God, that is between them and God.)

I do agree with some of the points that I've heard or read. For example, the musicians should be focused on God and only on God, doing this for His glory. Whenever I've just finished a song and someone gives me praise, my typical answer is "thank you! Praise Jesus its His talent not mine!" Many of my chat friends know this and one in particular has his own words for me "she sings for an audience of one, we just get to listen in." Amen!

Two things I just read in an article really got to me though, and not in the good way. One was that Christian music should never be used for evangelism for helping the lost, and should only be sung in church and not in concerts or other venues. That is ridiculous. God CAN and WILL move in any way He wants to, and use anything, whether it be music, the kindness of another, a dollar on the street, to glorify Him and bring His children to Him! My God is a BIG God, and He does not like to be controlled or limited by us humans, whether it be in the church, in music, on the street, anywhere. Sadly, religion has played a huge part in this, and we humans must be completely insane or simply stupid if we think we can control the one and only eternal living God! I have seen the Holy Spirit "squelched" so many times in a church that I will now only go where God tells me to go, and most often this is to churches where the Holy Spirit is allowed to do his work, and not limited to a few choice pastors.

The other thing that bothered me was the author of said article basically degrading a Christian singer and calling her an abomination for having won several grammies and praise for her albums. This is completely judgmental, and there are numerous bible verses on judging others, too many to list (if someone wants to, go for it and list them!) but the most famous one "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." (Matthew 7:1 NIV) I just hate seeing someone twist and manipulate the Word of God to suit their own ends. I can usually tell too, when something is off, examples of people I have heard and read (preachers or not): trying to "sell" Jesus by equating walking with God to financial wealth, being overly religious and restricting God and where and through and how He will work, etc.

Yet another article complained on the STYLE of music, saying rock and folk and country cannot possibly be styles used in Christian music (I worded that a lot nicer than they did). All of these statements are faulty, being that as I have said, God is God of the universe. He will use any situation and anything, whether it be music, dirt biking, horseback riding, tv, radio, microwaves (lol ANYTHING right?) for His glory and to bring His children to Him!

I imagine such people as mentioned in this post would likely call the song "Jesus Freak" (one of my all time favorites and an awesome message!) devil music, an abomination, wrong, whatever.

Before we make the fatal mistake of judging others and listening to our foolish heads about what is right, let us remember:
"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: 'He catches the wise in their craftiness'" (1 Corinthians 3:19 NIV). God's the one who REALLY knows. He is the ONLY one who can judge. He is the one with REAL wisdom. Don't even get me started on the foolishness of modern health care, but God has been revealing that to me as well. Over the past couple years He has slowly been removing the veil from my eyes, and now I have seen the world for what it truly is. It is devastatingly sad.

I just had to rant after those articles. They made me angry. Anyway, God Bless everyone! Talk to you in a while.

~Dancing

Sep 30, 2014
Your right he does use a lot of things and most things to come to Him, but once getting to God, changes happen, we want to capitalize on those changes to make God happy and show others how to, not saying never go to another concert, just saying be aware, the strobe lights and certain vibrations create a element where your caught in the moment, like eminem says "lose yourself in the moment" you never want to lose yourself is all, don't be anything other then you, when we lose ourselves anything can happen, you always want to be in control with God leading... Hope this helps a little...

May 6, 2014
"Being aware" is different from being completely judgmental. I myself, in honest truth, have never been to a concert of any type, with the exception of visiting musicians at my church. I was simply angry with these people for their completely judgmental behavior and slander of something that God uses in a big way. All the glory is God's! So if some Christian artists won a grammy or two, so what? It doesn't make them higher in my eyes, nor lower or an abomination. I try my best not to judge others, but we are all guilty of it at one point or another, whether we voiced these judgments or not. When I have judged others, their titles, degrees, certificates, and awards don't mean anything to me. I am impressed (or not) by their walk with God, and their personal skills. Remember that what the world holds value to or praises is meaningless in the eyes of God. He looks at our obedience to Him, our walk with Him, our personal relationship with Him. If it is a part of His plan for that person's life to win grammies, hold concerts, be rich, be poor, or whatever, it is not our place to judge and say it is wrong. Let alone an abomination in the eyes of God.

Some religious people never cease to surprise me in their complete lack of Godly traits and values. One lady in our church told another, who is a dear friend of my family and sweet as can be would never hurt a fly, she told her that "you might get to heaven, but you will smell like hell when you get there." I despair at the lack of love in this modern body of Christ. To have such things said from one Christian to another, and I know this friend of ours is highly loved and favored by God.... then again, religion and judgment have seemed to go hand in hand.

I'm ranting again, but closing point-if you are truly walking with God, prepare yourself. The attacks on those who truly serve the Lord are only going to increase as time goes on.