Bad friends?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miakau-chan

Hi, I'm 14 (turning 15 in April ^_^) and I need some advice please. I went through some rough patches when I was younger and during that time I made a friend named Hannah. I thought she was a God send, and she helped me unlock my artistic talents. I've been hanging out with my Christian friends a lot and I've realized Hannah isn't a good person. She doesn't believe in God, she gets in trouble a lot, and I secretly think she likes me MORE than friends. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO?! I know God says to pick Christian friends (she's my only non Christian friend) but I don't want to leave her. She likes lots of things so like. We click so perfectly together. It makes me so sad to imagine life without her. So please, any advice would help me so much.

B

Batman007

Is she a lesbian? Because all the lesbians I know don't like straight girls...

Well, I guess ask yourself if you want to not be friends because of her beliefs? Because that's a pretty close-minded reason. Is that the only reason? I know you said she gets in trouble but does she get you in trouble? I don't think it's good to give up a good friendship just because of their beliefs.

J

jimmydiggs

1 Cor. 15:33
Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

You definitely need to be very careful, at the least. I would post more, but I will be leaving my computer soon. Maybe later this evening.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Blah, diggs beat me to it. That's MY verse!

No, really. It will probably hurt you less to break it off now, as opposed to waiting. It sounds like a complete break is going to have to happen anyway, if she's not interested in hearing about Jesus.

I am sorry, though. I know it isn't easy. And I'll pray that God sends other people into your life that He wants you to be friends with. :)

M

Miakau-chan

Yeah. She gets me into trouble. And I've tried to make this friendship work regardless of her beliefs (I don't think she's lesbian; but she talks about me in ways that makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just prude.)
Thanks for the advice.

J

jimmydiggs

Yeah. She gets me into trouble. And I've tried to make this friendship work regardless of her beliefs (I don't think she's lesbian; but she talks about me in ways that makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just prude.)
Thanks for the advice.
I don't think prudence is a bad thing at all.
From Webster:

Prudence
: the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason
: sagacity or shrewdness in the management of affairs

: skill and good judgment in the use of resources

: caution or circumspection as to danger or risk​

Sometimes our friends whether they realize it or not, will try to drag us away from God. We can try and resist, but if you're anything like the vast majority of humans, once the temptation to sin is present the battle has already been lost. The best thing you can do for yourself is to avoid the situations you know you are most/more likely to sin. If being in the prescence of your friend leads to sin, you may have to cut it off. I have a friend from high school who my relationship with him is very much as I have just described. There are things I used to do when I hated Christianity with him, that now I do not wish to do. When he and I are talking, or in the prescence of each other, I know that from repeated experience I am more likely to sin certain sins. Thus, I seek to avoid those situations with him I know are most likely to produce temptation to sin. It's not always easy, but I think you'll find a lot more peace within the relationship with other Christians who are your friends.

There is some wisdom here:
Deuteronomy 22:10
Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together.

2 Cor. 6:14-15
[SUP]14 [/SUP]Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? [SUP]15 [/SUP]What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[SUP][b][/SUP]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?​

Try harnessing a clydesdale and a husky to a sled. You're gonna have a bad time.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Listen to that inner voice...the Spirit will lead you in this relationship.

M

Miakau-chan

Thank you all for the advice. :)

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Talk to her about it maybe, see what she says.

I really like hanging out with you, but I am concerned that...

You will get me in trouble.

You will...

You will have Christian and Non-Christian friends in life, preach to her! Invite her along to youth group etc. If it comes that she does lead you into sin... you might have to drop her, but yeah. Not the first option.

J

jtc0999

Pray. Ask God what to do before ANYTHING. He will lead you to the right direction.

K

kittycat7

I'll be praying for you~ For God to give you wisdom. We love because he first loved us.