Baptism of the Holy Spirit & Speaking In Tongues?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SpiritualFox

Hello! I'm not sure how to explain this or anything but I need some advice/help/testimonies! I go to a pentecostal church and many of my friends speak in tongues, they pray for me all the time to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and for speaking in tongues. I've wept, I've cried, I've prayed and I've asked. I've gotten nothing so far. They tell me when it happens it will be the best feeling I've ever gotten. I want to know how other people have gotten the Holy Spirit.
Last Wednesday, I prayed for three hours straight with a friend asking God for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and for the gift of tongues. It ended up with me and my friend leaving the church and going out to the parking lot to be alone and we did a prayer. I started speaking in something, not sure if it was tongues. My friend started rejoicing like it was, and we began singing and praising God. I did feel something but now every time I try to speak in tongues I don't speak like other people. I say the same thing over and over. Just one word or phrase. And I don't know what to do. Am I fooling myself? I hope not! But everyone else when they speak... it sounds so different than when I speak. The funny thing about it is that I talked to a prophet and he prayed for me. He told me not to give up praying until March 2nd. March 2nd is when this incident happened. Can anyone help me?

G

gospelofchrist

I went through this once, I grew up in a christian home and knew if I wanted the holy spirit; I just had to ask and I would recieve it. I asked and asked but I never got it. Then a teen at my youth group who had known God, maybe 5 years, spoke in tongues before me. I speak in tongues now and believe I'm filled with HolySpirit. But I think what the problem is that when we ask, we think to hard... like maybe god will speak in a deep voice and tell you what to say or something... or maybe we are jealous because our friends have it before us- i was-. But the bible say that God speaks in a stilll small voice. I do believe you have the holyspirit and the speaking in tongues. At first for me I sayed maybe two words, but the more and more you say it the longer it gets. GODBLESS!!!

J

Jesusfan2

i am not very new christian... I am true christian, but i cant talk in Tongues. I wanted it, i asked it, i prayed for it. But still nothing. I
believe that i will get it on the right time :) For naw, i want to pray on that language, which i understand :) :D
God bless you :)
Sorry for mistakes :)

G

Great4ever

To be baptize with the Holy Spirit was the first experience you recieve when you gave your heart to the lord. The second experience is to recieve the promise of the father which is filling us with his Spirit from above. All you need to do is just ask the lord to fill you with his spirit and you do recieve him now. Speaking in tongue isn't an evidence that you've recieved. Your faith is the evidence and your assurance of what you hope for. When you open your mouth to speak stop listening to yourself. Just go on and glorify God in heavenly tongues now. Just open your mouth and speak. Father in the name of the lord Jesus, i lay my hands on you now to recieve the gift of God's Spirit. Be filled now. Amen. Just rejoice and thank him.

kittykatty

Dec 22, 2009
I don't think the fact that you might be saying the same thing over and over again in tongues means you haven't got the gift. I've recently gotten the gift of tongues too, and it's what I do to as well as some of my Christian friends who have had the gift for years. My advice would be to develop your tongue in more prayer, and almost practise it, because God will give you more to say. :)