Baptists Now Beginning To Embrace Gay Unions & Gay Clergy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Galatians2-20

Mar 17, 2013
A former Southern Baptist Church has decided all are welcomed in their pulpit, going so far as to ordain gay and transgender ministers.

First Baptist of Greenville, South Carolina—the church home of the first Southern Baptist Convention president—has taken a bold move in "embracing the complexities of gender identity."

"What I heard was, 'We need to do the right thing, regardless of what anybody thinks or says about us,'" Senior Pastor Jim Dant tells Greenville Online.

"There were a few people who said, 'Are they going to start calling us the gay church in town?'"

After a six-month exploratory time, Greenville asked their members to affirm the acceptance of same-sex couples. According to Greenville Online, those who didn't affirm the church's decision still remained in the congregation.

In moving forward, the church ministers can perform same-sex unions and ordain any person, regardless of sexual orientation and lifestyle, to serve in a leadership role.

Greenville split from the SBC in the early 1990s, and is now a member of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. Before leaving the original denomination, however, Greenville was home to William Bullein Johnson. Johnson not only served as a minister at Greenville, but was inaugural president of the Southern Baptist Convention.

On their Facebook page, Greenville received several positive comments about their move.

"Thank you FBC Greenville. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8," one commenter wrote.

Another: "One day very soon, the Southern Baptist Convention will find themselves marooned on a bigoted island of their own making, while the civilized world of sound, modern biblical exegesis goes on around them."

The SBC, however, has no plans of the sort. President Ronnie Floyd told the Christian Examiner that the SBC stands by their biblical definition of marriage, and are in prayer for Greenville.

"We pray that this church will one day return to be biblically driven in their belief about marriage and family, rather than culturally driven as they have testified in the reported story."

3Scoreand10

Your title is very misleading.
This is one congregation that probable left the Baptist faith years ago.

Galatians2-20

Mar 17, 2013
How is it misleading? This is a very influential Baptist church in the Carolinas. Chances are that, now that they have embraced this, many more in their Association will also embrace it also resulting in a ripple effect that could cause serious division throughout various Baptists denominations.

You may not like the negative press but this is a big deal.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The falling away has begun. For shame!

L

LT

Someone once told me this:

The label "Baptist" is about as useful in identifying a congregations views
as the label "cheese food product" is useful in identifying a substance.
It's not actually cheese, not even sure if it is actually food either.

Certain labels just hold no value.

B

BarlyGurl

Someone once told me this:

The label "Baptist" is about as useful in identifying a congregations views
as the label "cheese food product" is useful in identifying a substance.
It's not actually cheese, not even sure if it is actually food either.

Certain labels just hold no value.
You are an interesting fella... are you sure you are 20? I am wondering cuz it's weird how much I get what you say...and that is pretty rare considering the generation gap..lol.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is very left wing and liberal. Totally different than the right wing Southern Baptists. I know a woman who is involved in it. She publishes their newsletter, and it often shocks me the things they believe.

There are over 50 Baptist denominations in the US, and 5 in Canada, plus independent churches which are generally fundamentalist.

Most do not accept gay marriage, although we do always try and reconcile people to Christ, which means repenting of their sins, including homosexuality.

This OP is totally misleading! Try googling the Cooperative Baptists, and you will find a denomination that is barely Christian, let alone Baptist!

L

LT

You are an interesting fella... are you sure you are 20? I am wondering cuz it's weird how much I get what you say...and that is pretty rare considering the generation gap..lol.
I hang out with more 40 and 50 somethings than those my own age, I suppose.
I also work in elderly care when I'm not in school.

My humor is likely the sum of these.

L

LT

The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is very left wing and liberal. Totally different than the right wing Southern Baptists. I know a woman who is involved in it. She publishes their newsletter, and it often shocks me the things they believe.

There are over 50 Baptist denominations in the US, and 5 in Canada, plus independent churches which are generally fundamentalist.

Most do not accept gay marriage, although we do always try and reconcile people to Christ, which means repenting of their sins, including homosexuality.

This OP is totally misleading! Try googling the Cooperative Baptists, and you will find a denomination that is barely Christian, let alone Baptist!
My congregation is part of CB Northeast (Conservative Baptists).
We had to split off of another Baptist group back in the 90s over the gay clergy issue, and continuance for openly (unrepentant) gay membership.
The northeast has many liberal Baptist groups.

L

LT

Just looked it up. There's really only 2 liberal Baptist groups around here.
They just have taken over many congregations.

But this is also an area run by Roman Catholics and Unitarians.
I expect better from the south.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
the first sentence literally says FORMER. Now you know how to use a computer and the internet I am assuming you realize the definition of former. And as someone who lives in the carolinas, they cant be that influential because I never heard of them in all the time i was attending southern baptist churches until I got sick of their message.

Sep 16, 2014
Yes, "A former southern baptist church" is the key phrase that excludes current members of the SBC, which made it clear in the last national convention last June leaving a clear message of sticking to Bible morality. The SBC can't speak for groups that have departed, but will continue holding Bible doctrine.

Our county ministerial association, which includes most mainline denominations, has not shown the slightest departure from what the Bible warns about homosexuality and sexual sin in general. We are adding Hispanic church delegates that are promoting even stricter adherence to Christian morality I haven't ween since my childhood, questioning the existence of some divorced clergy still ministering in this area. Now there's a can of worms being spilled out!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Those Church bodies that leave God's Word...go a-whoring!!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
To further set straight this false rumor about Baptists in general is a general agreement among baptists of most denominations including SBA members, they know at some point it will be necessary to stop supporting the Boy Scouts. The SBA has a new resolution not to up and dump the BSA, abandoning innocent boys in a manner that would do greater harm besides the already great harm of the BSA abandoning biblical morality standards.

Among our local churches of most denominations, even some Presbyterians are working to gradually make way for Trail Life USA to replace BSA over a period of time, with minimal delay. Each BSA chapter willing to take the help is now being assisted to gear up for the switch. Most churches are not prepared to just toss the resources and organization of the chapters, but to work it so BSA chapters can have dual membership when the Trail Life chapters are adequately established, then switch seamlessly. Some members will likely keep their BSA connections, but at least the boys in general will have leaders sleeping in their camps who are men that fear God. Most Christian churches have been advised of some of the personal life activities of an average scout on camp, sleeping in great community tents, having to put a lot of trust in every leader to be a model of behavior.

The support base for BSA is drying up, mostly churches contributing to the costs from it's beginning, Christians historically well supporting a safe haven for their boys mixing with people not of their own churches. The result is ever increasing burden on parents and fewer sponsors, so the drop in support will soon cause many to have to abandon BSA anyway.

In short, all our churches, around here and across the nation who have invested in the BSA are together on the issue, knowing hard decisions are coming for boys, parents, sponsors and supporters who themselves grew up sharing the Scout tradition.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009
It is sad that anybody embraces same-sex marriage and homosexuality:

[6] But from the beginning of creation, `God made them male and female.'
[7] `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,
[8] and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. Mark 10:6-8 RSV

Jesus taught sexual chasity but the world doesn’t want to listen.

Budman

Mar 9, 2014

Well, it usually starts with just one church - then like cancer, it spreads.

3Scoreand10

Well, it usually starts with just one church - then like cancer, it spreads.
Not if they are real Baptist.
I am sure this congregation started down this road years ago.

B

BradC

Pastor Jim Dant personally believes the Bible has no family value system for the 21st century. He dismisses Old Testament condemnation of homosexuality as part of Levitical law which Christians no longer practice particularly with regard to regulation of slavery and men treating their wives and daughters as property."What we believe about marriage and family is culturally driven, not biblically driven," Dant said.

This is such a grave error that many denominations are latching onto because of iniquity. They are putting acceptance ahead of the cross that crucified the flesh. They are making the gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified another gospel with another Spirit and having the name of another Christ. This is not a sin issue, it's an iniquity issue. We have to understand what iniquity is which the scriptures testify of a mystery of iniquity already at work (2 Thes 2:7). Iniquity has to do with doctrine, those words that proceed from the mouth. Iniquity was found in Lucifer and got him removed from the presence of God and his throne. Iniquity is all doctrine that contradicts and denies the doctrine of Jesus Christ and him crucified in the flesh as the God-man. This was illustrated in the wilderness where Satan tempted our Lord trying to get him in his weakness to go against the Father and presume against the words of the Father. Satan's words were resisted and he split the scene.

Believers are being worn down by a system of iniquity that is filling their hearts and minds with words and doctrine that come the prince and power of the air, the god of this world who is seeking whom he may devour with his own doctrine of iniquity.

Psalm 94:20 Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with thee, which frameth mischief by a law (or form and fashion their doings under a legislated law of words)?

This is the system that is being used and utilize against man and upon those in the churches who are carnally minded in the flesh, having no cross. Many are being devoured by this system of iniquity and many are having fellowship and communion with it. This is spiritual adultery and fornication that we see in (James 4:4) and (Rev 2:21-23).

Dec 12, 2013
Well, all I can say is that I agree with many of the posts on this thread so far....not all though and I will add....The title Baptist does not necessarily indicate beliefs as within the rank of Baptist there are those who teach you can lose salvation which is false....I can tell you that I was raised Baptist and have found a few dogmas that they teach that I do not buy after studying the bible the last 27 years intensively....but over all the Landmark Missionary Baptist people that are around me and including myself will NEVER accept GAY marriage as God is against it, his word is against it and he burnt 4 of 5 cities to the ground to prove his stance against it........