Being Born Again

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 21, 2012
being born again involves tears of repentance (water) and guidance of the Holy spirit.

water does not = flesh or nations in this case
Then what was the purpose of Jesus saying in the very next verse - That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Just asking what your take on v6 is . . . I see it as a distinction.

A

Ariel82

Then what was the purpose of Jesus saying in the very next verse - That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Just asking what your take on v6 is . . . I see it as a distinction.
to be born the first time = flesh and blood,

to be born the second time = by water and Spirit

John 3
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. [SUP]6 [/SUP]That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.

One does not need to be born of flesh to enter the kingdom of Heaven. Angels have no flesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ariel82

1 John 5
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. [SUP]8 [/SUP]And there are three that bear witness on earth:[SUP][b][/SUP] the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

the water is on Earth like the Word is in Heaven. Jesus died and shed His blood so that He might send His Holy Spirit to lead and guide us instead of having our flesh (blood) lead us astray.

Feb 21, 2012

John 3
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. [SUP]6 [/SUP]That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.

One does not need to be born of flesh to enter the kingdom of Heaven. Angels have no flesh.
Thank you - I just wanted to clarify this statement - "water does not = flesh or nations in this case".

S

Spokenpassage

Water refers to cleansing work of the Spirit through regeneration.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012

John 3

True Angels have no flesh, but also they aren't granted the opportunity to repent in the Bible. Angels we're all ready in Heaven, some rebelled and some didn't, they are either in or out. This passage does not involve Angels, but mankind made in His image. When Christ came to earth as the Lamb of God, He had to be born of water, flesh, the womb of a woman, and experience and resist all the temptations we face, He triumphed making Himself a worthy sacrifice only God can except in order to purge our sins.

The reason one can be saved is because they are in trouble to begin with, we are born into this predicament, born into sin. Thus I believe water means birth, born into this physical reality of brokenness and sin.

I understand what you are saying here too, and it could mean what you say and what you say isn't necessarily wrong. I just hold a different opinion.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
All, please keep in mind Yeshua is talking to Nicodemus, whom I believe is born of woman in the flesh, and not yet baptized if you follow his presence in the New Testament. Thus in addressing Nicodemus it is accurately presumable Yeshua is speaking of the Holy Spirit rebirth after having been born of woman.

It is not intricate nor complicated taking into consideration the context of the word usage. When I was baptized in water my old self died while I experienced my renewal because of having repented. The renewal was symbolic, but the entering in of the Holy Spirit is my rebirth because before this happened I believed in blind faith, but after I was totally convinced of Salvation in Yeshua.

May 3, 2013
"The renewal was symbolic, but the entering in of the Holy Spirit is my rebirth because before this happened I believed in blind faith, but after I was totally convinced of Salvation in Yeshua."

I have believed there is a frequent renewal, one more than symbolic, such as those we have seen on the snakes which leave their sking out to get it anew. I believe there are time we do the same, from the inside out.

Eternally blessed those who have sought the Almighty ONE.

C

CRUCIFIEDWITHCHRIST

Ephesians 5:26

That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word