Being Useful in a Church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
How does one make themselves useful in a church?

L

Lifelike

Be willing, available, submitted to and honouring your leaders, and do good for a start.

K

kujo313

Bring your "talents" and gifts to the temple.
Let's use "talent" not as money but as actual "talent". What talent do you have that you could bring to the Church? Are you a mechanic? Is there a bus that you can work on or maintain so to pick people up?
Are you an electrician? Can you help with lighting around the building?
Are you a teacher? Are you willing to help in classrooms?

What Spiritual Gifts do you have? How can you use them in the assembly of believers?

Just a thought.

C

Crazy4GODword

By being useful and in service in Christ

Dec 26, 2014
How does one make themselves useful in a church?
they have to be crucified with yahshua hamashiach first. unless, of course, yahweh just 'uses' them the

way he did use the egyptians and pharaoh (unbelieving pagans) to accomplish his sovereign purpose...

D

DesiredHaven

Pray that the Lord puts someone in your path, look for someone in need, like look for the widow among us, look where you can speak out, or on behalf of someone.

This is actually one of the best questions so far I struggled with it when I was in the churches because I felt participation in the body is where I would find my life but it was the set up that somewhat strangled the life out of it.

P

phil112

they have to be crucified with yahshua hamashiach first. unless, of course, yahweh just 'uses' them the

way he did use the egyptians and pharaoh (unbelieving pagans) to accomplish his sovereign purpose...
You should consider study of the bible before you spout nonsense. I mean......what in the world did you say? Did your ears even hear the words that came out of your mouth? What, exactly, did what you have to say have to do with the bible?

Sep 6, 2014

You should consider study of the bible before you spout nonsense. I mean......what in the world did you say? Did your ears even hear the words that came out of your mouth? What, exactly, did what you have to say have to do with the bible?
Hey brother Phil,
let me attempt to translate... you have to die to yourself and find your life in Christ Jesus first, unless the Father has purposed to use those in churches (my guess RCC members and their leader referring to a church?) in a similar fashion as He did with Pharaoh and the Egyptians and their belief system prior to the exodus in the days of Moses,.......well that's my best attempt to translate anyway, maybe Jeff can clarify?.......

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2014
Hey brother Phil,
let me attempt to translate... you have to die to yourself and find your life in Christ Jesus first, unless the Father has purposed to use those in churches .... in a similar fashion as He did with Pharaoh and the Egyptians and their belief system prior to the exodus in the days of Moses,.......well that's my best attempt to translate anyway, maybe Jeff can clarify?.......
it's even before milk for believers , and those in christ jesus understand the aroma of life (from being crucified with Jesus' crucifixion exactly as it is written) without words even.

those outside of christ jesus find it to be the aroma of death, exactly like the apostles said( by revelation of jesus), and those outside christ jesus respond with envy, jealousy or hate (and stupidity).

Pray that the Lord puts someone in your path, look for someone in need, like look for the widow among us, look where you can speak out, or on behalf of someone.

This is actually one of the best questions so far I struggled with it when I was in the churches because I felt participation in the body is where I would find my life but it was the set up that somewhat strangled the life out of it.
very correct DesiredHaven. the religious system squashes, quenches, and opposes the life of JESUS at every turn,

and they do all they can to prevent little ones from finding the kingdom of God. those who trust and rely on God by grace through faith in Jesus
lay down their life as an obedient gift to God first, joyfully and willingly,

and then lay down their life, and live their life, for others as God directs simply in His WORD and by His WORD directly spirit to spirit.....

the religious and the religious system cannot stand nor even ever understand the truth in JESUS.

Sep 6, 2014
Translate? Was he speaking in tongues? Friend, this is a bible room let's talk bible.
i agree brother Phil, let's talk bible here....... and in plain English. God is not the author of confusion and His servants shouldn't be either. Btw no offense intended to you or Jeff, just attempting to try and bring some kind of clarity to what was said here. Have a nice night and in the future i'll just leave it alone.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
[h=1]It can be hard to get involved in any size church. Some churches if big enough have groups and different missions. Simply ask the leaders what I can do to help? But especially small churches need help. I cleaned the bathrooms for the synagogue I go to for many years because they couldn’t afford cleaning people. The Bible says do not despise a small beginning. That is some of the best scripture ever!!! So just ask your church leaders and whatever the answer is don’t be proud. Do it as unto the Lord, He will exult you. [/h]

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Find things that need to be done and that others are reluctant to do: like washing dishes after a potluck, or cleaning the restrooms after a service. It won't take long before you are asked to do the more interesting jobs.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Not to forget the faithful intercessors who will pray for the leaders of the church and the body as a whole. I love to see people who will show up 1 hour before the service and begin to fill the room with prayer and worship.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
of course if there are physical needs - like repairing the building, setting up tables, clearing away chairs, helping around the kitchen, etc - whatever you can do to volunteer.

and of course whatever you can do to help your brothers and sisters - childcare, transportation, food, whatever needs you find that you have ability to help with.

and of course whatever service, if you can volunteer - if the church does a soup kitchen, or anything else similar for the community - just show up, and ask to get put to work - attendance at service functions or any other event or going-on other than sunday morning is usually way below what you might expect.

but don't think of prayer as a "last resort" or a "least thing" that you can do - seriously, spend time praying for everyone in your church, not just the leaders. and the "leaders" are not necessarily the ones who stand up at the front of the church and lead study and songs -- they are the ones who keep reminding those who teach and minister of Christ, because our business is spiritual, not physical, primarily.
everyone whose face comes to your mind, pray for, all during the week. and pray with thanksgiving, pray with praise to God for what works of Him you see in others - don't just pray with a grocery list of needs - pray with faith, believing He will be glorified and thanking Him for what He is already doing. this is no small thing - the faithful prayer of a righteous person is strong and works much - and you may say, "i am not righteous, so that doesn't really apply, but yes i know .." -- but know this too: the scriptures say that Christ's righteousness is imputed to you that believe, so when you pray in Him, you pray with the greatest righteousness the earth has ever seen! have faith; have faith in your prayer and God's faithfulness, and pray with joy!

being of use is beyond physical use. talk to people. speak of the Lord with people. do not take for granted that everyone in the church community knows the scripture as you do, even if you do not consider yourself to have wisdom, share with others what God teaches you each week - He puts these wonderful things in your heart and mind to be a help to others - even if you can't think of things to say, just ask others what the Lord is teaching them this week? you will remind them of the Lord and keep their conversation holy, and you will both be blessed through it.

don't be discouraged that you aren't being useful - pray, it is power, His power - and remind everyone of Christ, and He will open up and show you the way to the things He has for you to do. be glad, and be thankful, and you will always be an encouragement to others, more than you know - do all this for the Lord, not for yourself or to impress anyone, and you will always be satisfied, and you will be more of a blessing than you ever realize :)