Better to marry than to burn with passion ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

GreenNnice: Do you believe God will put marriage into your life when you are not yet ready?
That statement is a bit of an oxymoron in my opinion. I mean if God intends for us to marry at a certain time, who are we to disagree with the perfect creator who knows everything and chooses to be father is us sinful silly people, I mean seriously! But if you're not 100% for marrying that person then don't date/court them in the first place! Who are we to say that our plans for our lives should overide God's plan for us? I mean its the height of arrogance to think we know better than God.

If you had told me when I was 16 that I was going to be married at 23 to a foreigner and move to another country, I would have laughed my head off and the ridiculousness of it. But who was I to know what would happen. At that point in my life, I was convinced I was going to be married to my highschool sweetheart who Id been happily but ignorantly in sin with. When I finally became single again, I had plans to be contentedly single for God for a good number of years while finishing my degree and building my career. Little did I know I was going to meet my future husband 3 weeks after making that "life plan" for God.
Yes, cc, that quote is absolutely rhetorical. God knows what is best. He will not push you to marriage unless it is in His will . :)

R

rainacorn

I think there is some truth there, but you're leaving out the human element.

The messed up part of the brain that tells a teenager 'I just know it is God's plan for us to be together because we've been dating since we were 12 years old and now we're starting to have a very physical relationship and I just know in my heart this is what God wants for me.'

Fast forward 5 years to the poor single mother trying to justify her desire to remarry as also being God's will because that first guy wasn't who she thought he was but she doesn't regret anything because her kids are so cute.

I agree that HE will not push us into marriage when we are not ready, but that can be a terribly difficult thing to discern when you are 'burning with passion.' Hence our need for the fruit of the Spirit.

G

GreenNnice

I think there is some truth there, but you're leaving out the human element.

The messed up part of the brain that tells a teenager 'I just know it is God's plan for us to be together because we've been dating since we were 12 years old and now we're starting to have a very physical relationship and I just know in my heart this is what God wants for me.'

Fast forward 5 years to the poor single mother trying to justify her desire to remarry as also being God's will because that first guy wasn't who she thought he was but she doesn't regret anything because her kids are so cute.

I agree that HE will not push us into marriage when we are not ready, but that can be a terribly difficult thing to discern when you are 'burning with passion.' Hence our need for the fruit of the Spirit.
According to scripture, the way we keep from doing the 'works of the flesh,' which are idolatry, adultery, fornication, hatred, jealousies, wrath, selfish ambitions, etc. etc. is to 'walk with Him' Before this listing of Galatians 5:19-21 verses of fleshly works, which are the heinous opposite of 'good works,' like helping poor and needy, helping your church, giving to church, establishing charity, etc. is this verse:

”I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and, you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.” Gal. 5:16

So, yes, rainbowunicorn, the girl who gets pregnant and married is already not having done things,according to God's will. And, that is,OK, God still loves her same as people that did go about it in His will. Girl just has the logical 'fruit' from this act and coming BACK to God and turning her life over to Him will have profoundly good consequences for her. God WILL take care of single mothers in a great way for obedience to Him. :)

But, to answer your question, the fruits of the Spirit are what one gets from doing good works of the Spirit, as you say, milady, and, that girl who married and divorced with kids is needing to walk with God. Then, the fruits of the Spirit will come into fruition, peace, joy, longsuffering, self-control, meekness, gentleness.
When we are under this 'Spirit law' there is no longer any other law to be under but, yes, of course, you will still, too, follow man's laws because, by nature, laws make us recognize sin when we break them and that is where God's Holy Spirit in us corrects, reproves, even 'scourges' us, scripture says, but, keep in mind too, the Holy Spirit NEVER convicts us. That is called 'guilt,' and those born of God who have chosen walking in Christ 'do not sin.' 1 John 3: 6,9 . 'Born of God' means 'born again,' and, having accepted Christ as your personal Saviour :)

”But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.” Gal. 5:18

The Lord leads ;)

G

GreenNnice

I'm confused.

God demonstrates over and over that He doesn't require perfection. God creates a relationship and then makes us more perfect through that relationship. Why would marriage, the closest earthly equivalent to that relationship, be any different?

God doesn't say "first lets make you perfect and then I will start a relationship with you." By no means! He says, come as you are and I will heal you and guide you.

Yes, God does work on us and guide us, but marriage doesn't need to wait for anything other than God's blessing. Will he give it to someone with little self-control? According to Paul, it sure seems like it. So what does that mean then... Yes, we will all be tempted, we will all fall short. Self-control is no different. Through God alone have we any hope of resisting temptation. Can you be fully focused on God and yet not have good self-control? It sure seems like it.

But like I said... I'm confused.
Yes, lightnin', with God FULL self-control is possible. In fact, anything we want to do we can ONLY do with His power backing us . :)
The Devil is real though, and, that snake will attack you IF you're marrying before God's perfect timing and in His perfect will.

Here is a very real verse of the Devil attacking us when weak in self-control:

” Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourself to fasting and prayer, and come together again so that satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.”

This speaks of a husband and wife, but the context transfers to anyone when speaking of the Devil who will attack our lack of self-control.”

God bless, Christ bro ! :)

God says many times in the Bible, 'With, Him, all things are possible. '
And, 'With God, nothing is impossible.'

” I can do all.things through Christ who strengthens me .”

Last edited by a moderator: