Beware of Bartering Word of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

J-Kay-2

I found this quote I think it would make a good discussion piece.

"Beware of bartering the Word of God for a more suitable conception of your own."

[ Disciples Indeed, 386 R ]

I have found this to be what we tend to do on occasion. When I
ran across the quote, I felt how true... I have been guilty. I think
I should use it wisely. J~K~ 2

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Sorry I'm a bit simple..What are they saying in layman's terms? Lol..I'm interested.

J

J-Kay-2

Sorry I'm a bit simple..What are they saying in layman's terms? Lol..I'm interested.
To Barter:to trade by exchanging one commodity for another=

"Beware of bartering the Word of God for a more suitable conception of your own."

Okay. I think now that you see what bartering means, ( I am sorry I did not put in meaning ) .....
The original person who quoted this, was Oswald Chambers, who is a very well known Christian
in days of yore....
So basically as you can see, he is saying we should be careful about taking Gods Word and
changing it to fit what we want it to be. Hope that helps. So many times we find this happens
over and over.... until we have come to the place where Gods Word has no value to some who
begin to change it.
Actually I have been hearing lately there are 3 Bible publishers who are re-writing the Word/Bible
and watering it down. That would be considered bartering, don't you think ?

Bless you.... J~ K~ 2

Aug 15, 2009
Whe you say bartering, are you talking about believing in "greasy grace" instead of "working out your salvation with fear & trembling"?

J

J-Kay-2

Whe you say bartering, are you talking about believing in "greasy grace" instead of "working out your salvation with fear & trembling"?
Pretty good example Stephen....

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
like the proverb "buy the truth and do not sell it" (Proverbs 23:23)

and how the Spirit spoke through Paul "
they have exchanged the truth of God for a lie" (Romans 1:25)

just like idolaters who make for themselves a god of wood (Isaiah 44:9-20), if we do not take God at His Word, but trade His Word in for a 'more agreeable and suitable god' we are no different from false prophets (Ezekiel 22:28), saying "God says... " when He has not said it.

how searching and true!!

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword,
piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow,
and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

(Hebrews 4:12)

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I would define bartering the word of God as twisting scripture to conform to your beliefs, as opposed to changing your beliefs to conform to scripture.

J

J-Kay-2

I would define bartering the word of God as twisting scripture to conform to your beliefs, as opposed to changing your beliefs to conform to scripture.

I would like to think since bartering goes both ways.... I am trading
my beliefs for Gods. If not, I am in big trouble.....

The more I thought about bartering, as in the days of old; people
would barter (trade ) a hair-cut for a bushel of corn. You get the idea.

I am an Oswald Chambers fan. I believe in the deep things of God.
He makes me think ....

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I'm not up on Oswald Chambers, but yeah - it goes both ways.