Bible for today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

ShyForHim

Since I live in Spain, this is a heavily Catholic country just like Poland. When I came here being young, the first thing that called my attention were the "processions" (in Spanish: procesiones) it happens mostly on the Easter, on Thursday, Friday and finally Sunday where the churches take out figures of Jesus and Mary and walk with them around the city. They do the Via Crucis.

Here's a small example

I know I'm barely a new Christian, but I personally find it wrong because they follow an image.

Matthew 15:8 ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.´

But most importantly:

Exodus 20:3-6 NLT

3 “You must not have any other god but me.

4 “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea.

5 You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me.

6 But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.

Just thought I'd leave it here.

God bless!

P.S.- The purpose of this post was to share the verses, not to attack Catholics or anything :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ariel82

sometimes people are into the show and the pomp and Jesus spoke against that. He wanted us to pray in our closet where GOD would hear us and to be humble servants NOT oppressing kings............here are some verses that come to mind.............Mark 12
[h=3][/h][SUP]38 [/SUP]Then He said to them in His teaching, “Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces, [SUP]39 [/SUP]the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts, [SUP]40 [/SUP]who devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation.”
and also this one............Matthew 6...
[h=3][/h][SUP]5 [/SUP]“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. [SUP]6 [/SUP]But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.[SUP][b][/SUP] [SUP]7 [/SUP]And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

[SUP]8 [/SUP]“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. [SUP]9 [/SUP]In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
[SUP]10 [/SUP]Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]Give us this day our daily bread.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
[SUP]13 [/SUP]And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.[SUP][c][/SUP]

[SUP]14 [/SUP]“For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. [SUP]15 [/SUP]But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
:) I rejoice to see you digging into the Bible :)

S

ShyForHim

When I pray, I like to do it alone. It makes me slightly uncomfortable to pray with someone else. I prefer to be like Jesus, that he prayed to God alone. I even do that in bathroom or in the corridor, mostly at nights when everyone is asleep c:

U

Ugly

Its good that you don't want to make a show of praying, but don't be mislead into the idea that its wrong to pray with others, or in front of others. There can be benefit to sometimes praying with another. Though yes, most of your prayer should be done alone.

S

ShyForHim

Its good that you don't want to make a show of praying, but don't be mislead into the idea that its wrong to pray with others, or in front of others. There can be benefit to sometimes praying with another. Though yes, most of your prayer should be done alone.
Oh no, I don't think it's wrong. I find it perfectly fine but as for myself, I just don't feel comfortable, probably because I'm still a baby :)