Bible tells us to pray for the salvation of others, why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
We should desire that all should come... also.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Your unbelief pretty much your prayers will be of no use,

Praying for others may well cause the Holy Spirit to move upon the spirit of the unbeliever and bring them under conviction, and they may "freely" choose to accept Jesus into their hearts. It's called intercessory prayer, and it can work, elsewise why would Jesus be our Intercessor sitting at the right hand of God the Father. As I do not believe in Calvins Theory of Predestination, I and I agree, if predestination (as Calvin taught it) is real, then any prayers for those lost would do no good whatsoever.
but again: you believe God wants everyone to be saved. therefore He should already bring them under conviction as much as possible, maybe even make everyone get a similar experience to st.paul and then everyone would be converted, which is what God wants.

no matter how you try to explain it, it will never make sense.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
hello brothers and sisters i have been thinking about this from two angles, i know we should pray for the salvation of people, surely.

but when im thinking about it, i just see it as a waste of time. i still do it because the bible tells me to, but logically speaking:

if man has free will, then there is no reason to pray to God, as its not in God's hands, the ball is in our court, God already did His part, now its up to us to believe the gospel.

if there is no free will and God chooses who is saved, then once again no reason to pray to God as the number is already fixed, no amount of praying will fix it.
God normally uses ordinary means, such as preaching the gospel and praying for others, to fulfill His purpose.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
hello brothers and sisters i have been thinking about this from two angles, i know we should pray for the salvation of people, surely.

but when im thinking about it, i just see it as a waste of time. i still do it because the bible tells me to, but logically speaking:

if man has free will, then there is no reason to pray to God, as its not in God's hands, the ball is in our court, God already did His part, now its up to us to believe the gospel.

if there is no free will and God chooses who is saved, then once again no reason to pray to God as the number is already fixed, no amount of praying will fix it.

I think the reason why God tells us to pray for other people's salvation, as well spread the Gospel, is so we can participate in His work. Technically, God can do all the work Himself without any of us, but I think He wants to include us so that we are building our fellowship with Him through the things we do together with Him. That's quite lovely of Him, really!

🏕️

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012

I apologize for being so late and I hope this reaches you

I just wanted to give a few testimonies and how one word can make all the difference. yes there is the whole predestination issue but if you take into consideration the human state how things never seem to work out as we planned all the suffering and cruelness that we see it doesn't add up does it? think of the sciptures what did Jesus say what was promised with the faith of a mustard seed?

personally prayer has never worked out for me for myself and the prayers I speak for others but I believe in what it is not because I recieved the evidence of it but because of what I have come to know of him.

Firstly I would like to say I have been to hell before and you don't come back from that with fear many tell tales of going there on talk shows but if you ever have gone there you are in ddesperation the cost goes beyond human imagination and I can easily construct a scenerario where a man is suddenly placed in a ball of spikes no matter what position you take the spikes perirce as the entire constuct grows smaller and smaller

The reason we pray for the salvation of others is not because of how it matters but because we actually understand and think upon the cost. love is the reason no normal human being would pray to air to save anyone even the most horrific humans to be spared of this fate to see and know such things you cannot help but feel pity for even the most evil souls it is that bad that harsh

I saw it all I came back not with fear but weeping over everyone what we are saving people from is is far worse than we understand and God regardless of cpntriversy or debates is not one who enjoys this in fact if you could see his face the tears the clear inner heartbreak of one who goes there it would crush you you could not stand to see him like this

The cost the seriousness of it all is to severe to speak of normally because it causes people to question him it causes the question of a loving God sending people to such a place nut to his face the deep sting inside the hurt and sorrow that is clearly shown on him maybe we don't undersrtand but for him to show such sorrow such a pain that we could not ever bare ir understand I find that praying for the salvation of others is not just about the cost but to help relieve him of any pain we can

CS1

May 23, 2012

The word of God says it is impossible to please God without faith. Those who come to Him must Believe that He is, and He is a reward for those who seek Him Diligently.

James said the effective, fervent prayer of one who is in the right relationship with God carries much weight with God. Therefore, we are told to pray. Pray in the Spirit. Ephesians 6 says we are to pray with all kinds of prayers and supplications for other saints.

Jesus said to fast and pray. If one is don't all that prayer and noting is working Check the mirror :) or your own heart.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
^ Example from Scripture:

"Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved." - Romans 10:1

:)

[... and noting ^ (its context): the biblical definition of "Israel"<--i.e. those of the nation known as Israel... No such thing as "spiritual Israel" which supposedly includes Gentiles, no.]
Why can't both exist. Paul certainly prayed for his kinsmen in the flesh...the nation Israel, but he also acknowledges that they are not all Israel which are of Israel. There is an Israel of God that contains both Jews and Gentiles. He goes on to explain the promise is in the seed...this is Christ. So all those in Christ are the true Israel. Since it is not in the flesh but in Christ, and the relationship is spiritual and not natural, why object to the term "spiritual " Israel. Or do you believe it only refers to Jews in Christ?

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

God's children are his sheep. A lot of God's sheep have gone astray, and are worshiping idols, but God has left in the midst of them a remnant that have been revealed a knowledge of the truth of Christ's doctrine. Although his disobedient sheep are still saved eternally, they have lost their fellowship with God, until they repent of their sin, and God accepts them back into his fellowship.

The remnants responsibility is to pray for the lost sheep of the house of Israel that they might repent.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
^ Example from Scripture:

"Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved." - Romans 10:1

:)

[... and noting ^ (its context): the biblical definition of "Israel"<--i.e. those of the nation known as Israel... No such thing as "spiritual Israel" which supposedly includes Gentiles, no.]

There is a spiritual Israel, which is Jacob, whose name God has changed to be called Israel. Jacob, as Israel is not the nation of Israel, but is contrived of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation. (Rev 5:9) (Rom 9:6).

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The TULIP taken to it's "logical " conclusion may bring many to this conclusion. That's a whole can of worms that I don't have time to address. I will say this though. God does not choose from birth, some to be damned. He draws all men unto Him. Both the Father and the Son do this . The Holy Spirit reproves of sin, righteousness and judgement. John 16:8-...

We who are saved are commissioned with the role and responsibilities of telling, of leading the lost to Christ. I truly believe that the Bible is clear on the fact that we are to go to the lost, pray for them and preach the gospel.
Amen we should look at the example of the apostle paul who was an injurious blasphemer before he converted and see sinners the same way with the same patience

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. ( many sinners are in this boat they don’t know what we know because they won’t hear the gospel they are in the dark because they refuse to step no to the light )

And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:12-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:15-

all are in tbat boat of being a sinner the one who couldn’t be saved by Jesus would be the one who refused to acknolwedge thier sins and count on thier own righteousness we should definately associate with sinners otherwise we aren’t speaking the gospel to the right group

its the broken and aware sinners who want forgivness

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Amen we should look at the example of the apostle paul who was an injurious blasphemer before he converted and see sinners the same way with the same patience

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. ( many sinners are in this boat they don’t know what we know because they won’t hear the gospel they are in the dark because they refuse to step no to the light )

And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:12-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:15-

all are in tbat boat of being a sinner the one who couldn’t be saved by Jesus would be the one who refused to acknolwedge thier sins and count on thier own righteousness we should definately associate with sinners otherwise we aren’t speaking the gospel to the right group

its the broken and aware sinners who want forgivness
Amen!

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021

We are to pray because God said to.. Thats enough for me

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
There is a spiritual Israel, which is Jacob, whose name God has changed to be called Israel. Jacob, as Israel is not the nation of Israel, but is contrived of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation. (Rev 5:9) (Rom 9:6).

God's children are known as his sheep (John 10:26:30). Rom 10:1-3 has reference to the lost sheep of the house of (spiritual) Israel. Pauls prayer is that they might repent from believing in the old works of the law, and come unto a knowledge of the truth.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Never stop praying for all the People of this World. The number is not fixed. I may plant the seed of truth in someone's heart and someone else comes along and waters that seed and now the person is saved. But is was God who put both of us in that man's path. Trust in God and believe your prayers matter.

Saved=delivered, according to Strong's concordance. There is a deliverance, received here in time, for those who have been delivered eternally, by their coming unto a knowledge of the truth (1 Tim 2:1:4). Paul left Timothy at Ephesus to charge some in the church that they teach no other doctrine.(1 Tim 1:3). Paul instructed Timothy to pray for all men of Ephesus that have authority over them that the church may lead a quite and peaceful life. For this is acceptable in the sight of our God and our Savior; who will have all men, of the church at Ephesus, who are teaching other doctrines, to be saved=delivered, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Praying for the Lost
Use these scriptures to make prayers to pray over those that are lost.

1) Matthew 12:29
"Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house."

We should bind the devil from working in their lives, and take authority over the enemy. In Luke 10:19 Jesus said "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power (authority) of the enemy". Jesus has given us authority to take authority over the enemy. We must exercise our authority by speaking out these scriptures against the enemy. God's Word MUST be declared over them in faith continually, and consistently if you ever expect to see the person(s) you're praying for come to Jesus.

2) Matthew 16:19
"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Declare (out loud) in faith that you are binding the devil's ability to work in their lives, and declare (out loud) in faith that the person you are praying for is loosed from the control of the devil and all carnal influences of darkness in the world.

3) Mark 16:17
"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues".

Demand (out loud) in faith that you are casting the devil out of their life! Jesus has given us power and authority to do this, and He will see to it that this is carried out if we don't give up and quit standing on this promise.

4) 2 Corinthians 10:4,5
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Speaking God's Word (promises of freedom) over someone's life is mighty through God for getting the results of pulling down strongholds (enemy activity) in people's lives.

5) Luke 10:2
Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth laborers into his harvest. (Also see: Matthew 9:38)

Declare (out loud) in faith that laborers (witnesses of the Gospel) are continually coming into their lives to declare the goodness of Jesus and His desire to set them free from darkness.

6) 2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Declare (out loud) in faith that their minds are no longer darkened and the light of the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ is now shining on them, and in their minds (understanding, vision, ability to see what is right)

7) Ephesians 1:17,18
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.

Declare (outloud) in faith that the eyes of their understanding (their mind, vision, ability to see) are now opened and declare that they have the ability to see what is right.

8) Hebrews 1:14
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Declare (out loud) in faith that God's angels have already been sent forth to minister salvation (deliverance, freedom) to the person you're praying for by bringing witnesses of the Gospel to them, by protecting them from destruction, and by ministering thoughts of the promises in God's Word to their thoughts.

9) 2 Timothy 2:24-26
And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

When attempting to reach the lost, they are the ones who have to make the decision to turn away from darkness and become converted to the Kingdom of God thru Jesus Christ... we have to be gentle in our attempt to teach them the truth and we have to be patient (consistent)...and in faith ask the Lord to give them the vision (hope) needed to see that they need to repent and accept Jesus Christ as Savior and as Lord.

Luke 10:19. Keeping this verse in context, Luke 10:1 this power over all the power of the enemy was given to the seventy that the Lord appointed.

Matt 16:19, Jesus is directing this statement to Peter only.

Mark 16:15-16, Jesus's comments are directed to the eleven (verse 14).

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Your unbelief pretty much your prayers will be of no use,

Praying for others may well cause the Holy Spirit to move upon the spirit of the unbeliever and bring them under conviction, and they may "freely" choose to accept Jesus into their hearts. It's called intercessory prayer, and it can work, elsewise why would Jesus be our Intercessor sitting at the right hand of God the Father. As I do not believe in Calvins Theory of Predestination, I and I agree, if predestination (as Calvin taught it) is real, then any prayers for those lost would do no good whatsoever.

The lost sheep of the household of Jacob are not lost eternally, but are lost to the knowledge of the truth, and those of the remnant should pray that they might repent and live a peaceful life as they sojourn here on earth.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Hey Melach, ever get a thought that just came out of no where? My mom had this friend that was about to die in a coma that didn't know the lord. So she prayed he would wake up and have one more chance. That happened and he got saved. This is a fallen world as much as we love to believe GOD can and does do anything controls everything. I have to stop there because if GOD has all of this under control man is He all mess up and confused.

Go back to Daniel (ooh that is the best name ever yes! hehe) What Chap 10 when Gab said "Then he said to me, “Do not be afraid, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart on understanding this and on humbling yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia was standing in opposition to me for twenty-one days. Then, behold, Michael, one of the chief [of the celestial] princes, came to help me, for I had been left there with the kings of Persia."

We know we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Again is written be sober [well balanced and self-disciplined], be alert and cautious at all times. That enemy of yours, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion [fiercely hungry], seeking someone to devour.

So why "pray for the salvation of others"? Why? Like this video I saw where this young man was talking about the GOD of the OT and how Hes really Satan. We have been given all power/authority over the enemy. A very dear close friend came over very late one night. This was when we lived in LA. HAHA oh he would come over so many times wanting to fishing. This time he came over for help. By him asking me gave the lord the right to tell me things. He was selling himself to other men for sex. The lord said "I warned him 3 times" so i said the warned you 3 times. He said "you know every time I turned on the radio it was a Christian station. When ever I turned on the TV it was some Christian station" so forth so on. So he had free will yet the enemy had been lying to him. This is just one tiny reason we pray for others. I really don't like the end of this story. But maybe it will help someone else.

I don't know why some can go a life time in sin then get saved where as others. Jeff was in is mid 20's married had a son. As I walked him to his car the lord said "if He does not change it will be seven times worse", This so many years later hurts makes me cry. So I told him. Last I heard he went to Taiwan :( I will say this. I have prayed for allot of people but when I prayed for him.. man I was so drained I could barely walk.

So why should we pray for salvation? Because Satan come to kill steal and destroy anyone everyone sinner or saved. They have no power no authority over him..we do! So are we doing this? Are we praying always in the spirit about everything "praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching there unto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints". I read on a few forums about "obey" and "keep the commandments". So are we doing this also?