Bible Verses on the Subject of Searching

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Least

God searches our hearts

1 Chronicles 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

Psalms 44:18 Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from thy way;
Psalms 44:19 Though thou hast sore broken us in the place of dragons, and covered us with the shadow of death.
Psalms 44:20 If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god;
Psalms 44:21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Jeremiah 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Romans 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

1 Peter 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
1 Peter 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1 Peter 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
1 Peter 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Zephaniah 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in their heart, The LORD will not do good, neither will he do evil.

Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

We also are required to search

Job 8:7 Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.
Job 8:8 For enquire, I pray thee, of the former age, and prepare thyself to the search of their fathers:
Job 8:9 (For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow)
Job 8:10 Shall not they teach thee, and tell thee, and utter words out of their heart?

Psalms 77:6 I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

Proverbs 2:1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
Proverbs 2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Proverbs 2:3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
Proverbs 2:4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Proverbs 2:5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Proverbs 20:25 It is a snare to the man who devoureth that which is holy, and after vows to make enquiry.
Proverbs 20:26 A wise king scattereth the wicked, and bringeth the wheel over them.
Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Proverbs 25:27 It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.

Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Matthew 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Searching and Trying our ways

Lamentations 3:40 Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Corinthians 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

This is a joint effort. Christ in us. "God hath revealed them unto us by HIS SPIRIT; For the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God."

Mar 4, 2013
Searching the deep things with all our heart caught my attention. This, for sure takes a sincere heart to understand the deep hidden things of God, and why He did and does things as Biblical history shows. The Holy Spirit of God doesn't strike ones head with a magic wand so all of a sudden we will know all things pertaining to our designed destiny, and then we live happily ever after according to our liking. Neither do we sit around doing nothing while "waiting on the Lord" for strength.

L

Least

Searching the deep things with all our heart caught my attention. This, for sure takes a sincere heart to understand the deep hidden things of God, and why He did and does things as Biblical history shows. The Holy Spirit of God doesn't strike ones head with a magic wand so all of a sudden we will know all things pertaining to our designed destiny, and then we live happily ever after according to our liking. Neither do we sit around doing nothing while "waiting on the Lord" for strength.
Amen Brother, Jesus told us to seek, knock and ask! It is a promise that we will find, that the door will be opened to us.
He has a purpose and a plan, and we need to get inline with HIM, and not be settled on our own ideas or ways.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

We don't grow by being stuck in the mire, but we are instructed to press in, to seek the things which are above, to draw near to God and He will draw near to us.

Faith and faithfulness go hand in hand. He calls us to be faithful, and HE is always faithful.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

It's a process, for sure. And we are called to seek HIM early, betimes, "before the time." As judgment will begin at the church, now is the time to seek HIM with our whole hearts.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Mar 4, 2013

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
That verse was going through my mind earlier today. It is proof that a person cannot follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit without the Word being taught first. The Holy Spirit reminds us of what we already have heard from the Word.

John 1:1-3, and 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. *The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

*We cannot replace the Word with the Word and still say we are lead by the Spirit.

Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established .

1 John 5:7-8 (CJB) 7 There are three witnesses - 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood - and these three are in agreement.

Last edited:
L

Least

That verse was going through my mind earlier today. It is proof that a person cannot follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit without the Word being taught first. The Holy Spirit reminds us of what we already have heard from the Word.

John 1:1-3, and 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. *The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

*We cannot replace the Word with the Word and still say we are lead by the Spirit.

Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established .

1 John 5:7-8 (CJB) 7 There are three witnesses - 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood - and these three are in agreement.
Amen again Just-me,

"Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10)" and "Sanctify them by thy truth, they word is truth." (John 17)

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

We can read and study the scriptures like a text book, and we will gain some knowledge. But then there's that deeper knowledge in Christ, who lights His word in our hearts. That is when the word is quickened in us, that is when it is written on our hearts. "Man shall not live on bread alone but on every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." We shouldn't neglect or negate any of it. God's word is preserved, tried seven times from beginning to end. We live in a time where we are so blessed to have so much access to the written word.

Paul said it this way:

Ephesians 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Ephesians 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

It's that relationship, (That communing with Him,) as we search the scriptures even prayerful reading of the word, laying all that we have at His feet and asking Him questions, letting God be true and every man a liar, seeking Him and His ways with all our heart, mind and strength.

He reveals the deeper things as we continue in Him and abide in Him, and the boarders expand. Duet 19:8, Duet 12:20.

It's part of seeking first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.

Like you talked about in another thread, we start off on the milk of the word, we grow into the meat of the word as we continue in Christ.