Bible verses with explanation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 27, 2020
Romans 4:7 NIV “Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.

Just like the scapegoat on Yom Kippur (Leviticus 16:22 NIV The goat will carry on itself all their sins to a remote place; and the man shall release it in the wilderness.)This is taking the sins on itself just as Jesus bore out sins once and for all time for you and me on the cross. Abraham did not work for his salvation; he simply trusted God's word. It was Jesus Christ who did the work on the cross, and His righteousness was put on Abraham's account. (Justify; just as if I never sinned.) The old Testament judge was commanded to "justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked" (Deut 25:1). But God justifies the ungodly - because there are no godly for Him to justify. (Romans 3:24 NIV and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.) "sins are covered." Ezekiel 18:27 NIV But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life." (Confession of sin.)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Welcome to CC, Brian! Glad to have you aboard. :)

Good thoughts on the verse. Feel free to contribute to existing threads as well.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
If this is an invitation to post favorite bible verses with why they are favorites: Phil. 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

It seems to me to capture the essence of how to live as a saved person with Christ in your heart, Our heart and minds come before any of our actions and our actions are a result of them. If we simply follow a set of rules in order to act as a Christian we are acting legalistically. But if we use this guide for discipling our thoughts, we truly follow and live the life God chooses for us to live in this world. It prepares us for living eternally with the Lord.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Romans 4:7 NIV “Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.

Just like the scapegoat on Yom Kippur (Leviticus 16:22 NIV The goat will carry on itself all their sins to a remote place; and the man shall release it in the wilderness.)This is taking the sins on itself just as Jesus bore out sins once and for all time for you and me on the cross. Abraham did not work for his salvation; he simply trusted God's word. It was Jesus Christ who did the work on the cross, and His righteousness was put on Abraham's account. (Justify; just as if I never sinned.) The old Testament judge was commanded to "justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked" (Deut 25:1). But God justifies the ungodly - because there are no godly for Him to justify. (Romans 3:24 NIV and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.) "sins are covered." Ezekiel 18:27 NIV But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life." (Confession of sin.)
Hi , not sure what your saying ,completely there..How does Ezekiel relate to new testament salvation ? And what are you implying with the end bit ' confession of sin ? not sure of the point your trying to make the above verses ?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The OT gives all who are not under grace stop/gap measures fro being forgiven, but nothing like the gift of salvation by the Blood of the Only Begotten Son.

The post about the scape goat and other observations dmonstrates the poster sees and understands without the veil of Moses...............God bless him and you too.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
But the centurion answered him, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only say the word, and my servant will be healed.
Matthew 8:8

The Roman centurion was a commander in charge of 100 soldiers. He was a man of authority and power. Yet he humbly approaches an itinerant Jewish rabbi and does not demand help. He humbly asks, hoping that Jesus will answer his request. When Christ agrees to heal the servant and come to his house, however, the officer shockingly responds, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter my house; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed.” What extreme humility! St. Augustine writes about this lesson, “The centurion counted himself unworthy that Christ should enter his house; but the centurion was found worthy that Christ should enter his heart.” Pride kills faith. Pride hinders us from finding God. Pride even dulls our desire for God! Humility opens up our hearts to the wonders of God.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. O give thanks to the God of gods, for his steadfast love endures forever. O give thanks to the Lord of lords, for his steadfast love endures forever.

Psalm 136:1-3

Gratitude is a fundamental characteristic of a soul touched by God. When we understand that all we have in a gift from God, starting with our life itself along with all the blessings we receive each day, our soul will overflow with thanksgiving! Blessings are sometimes joy-filled experiences but blessings sometimes are the difficult challenges God allows us to face - "Glory to You for all that remains hidden from us in Your wisdom." Since we are created in God's image and likeness, we have the ability to reason and reflect on the meaning and purpose of life, and one of the funadmental purposes of life is to live in constant praise and gratitude to our Creator. "O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His steadfast love endures forever... Glory to You O God, from age to age." May we strive to thank God continually for the gift of life, the gift of our own life as well as the gift of the lives of those around us who have lived them in worthy and loving ways.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
The Lord said, "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

Matthew 6:22-23

"If your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light."
How do we look at the world around us? With what eyes to we perceive our reality? Our Lord Jesus reminds us that when our eye is sound and full of light, we will perceive the world around us with hope and life. When our eye is not sound, we will focus and get overwhelmed with the darkness of the world. The world is the same, but how we see and interact with the world depends on the condition of our eye and of our heart. Earlier in the sermon on the mount, Jesus says, "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God." Every day we want to purify our hearts so that our eyes are sound to see the world from God's perspective. Yes, the world is full of darkness but the world is also full of beauty and goodness and light. We want to cleanse our hearts and minds every day in the refreshing waters and renewing springs that Jesus Christ offers. He is the living water in which we wash our eyes so that they are pure. Turn to Him every morning. Fill your minds with His words of hope and life. Don't allow your eyes to be overwhelmed by the darkness of the world. "If you eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light."

Jun 20, 2022
AMEN!

after reading these Verses and personal interpretations, it's TIME for Church :cool:

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable; it keeps no record of wrongs; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

What does divine love look like? We all express love to others but what is love? It's not simply a feeling. Love can be seen through concrete action - responding patiently with others; speaking kindly even to those who are unkind to you. Love is not egocentric in insisting on its own way and it is never boastful or rude. Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have. Love doesn’t strut around and doesn’t have a swelled head. Love doesn’t force itself on others and isn’t always “me first." Love doesn’t fly off the handle and doesn’t keep score of the sins of others. Love never revels when others grovel. Instead, love takes pleasure in the flowering of truth and puts up with everything. Love always trusts God, always looks for the best in others, and always keeps going to the end.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces. Let your steadfast love become my comfort according to your promise to your servant. Let your mercy come to me, that I may live, for your law is my delight. My soul languishes for your salvation; I hope in your word. Oh, how I love your law! It is my meditation all day long.

Psalm 119:72, 76, 81, 97

We are called to meet people where they are at and then share God's love with them in a manner they can understand. Even if we disagree with them and can find serious fault with others, can we still humbly understand where they are and then meet them were they are at? It takes humility and sincere love. Saint Paul was deeply distressed when he saw all the idols in Athens. As a faithful Jew, he could have condemned the Athenians for their pagan idolatry and pointed out how wrong they were in their beliefs. Yet, he approaches them with humility and love. He looks for something good in their belief system and then responds to that opening. "Athenians, I see how extremely spiritual you are in every way. For as I went through the city and looked carefully at the objects of your worship, I found among them an altar with the inscription, ‘To an unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you." The great Apostle acknowledges that the Greeks were extremely spiritual and even quotes one of their own poets. St Paul offers a lesson to us when we are trying to connect with others. Don't focus on what is wrong and bad and evil in others, look for something that is good and start from there. If we have a pure heart, we will see goodness and beauty and elements of truth in others, even when they are lost in darkness.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Look, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

1 Corinthians 15:51-52

We all have lost loved ones at times which we also thought were tragically short or sometimes though suffering. Each day, I pray the Trisagion Prayers with the Prayers for the dead. We are praying for the souls of the departed as well as thanking our Lord Jesus for His victory over death and hades. Here lies the foundation of the Christian faith. Why did God become human in the person of Jesus Christ? He didn't come primarily to show what an authentic human being is. He didn't come primarily to offer words of wisdom and truth through His teachings. He didn't come primarily to perform miracles and show how He was ushering in the kingdom of heaven in the midst of this fallen, dark world. God became man primarily to confront the greatest dilemma of humanity - death itself. He came to reveal what a true human being is and then to embrace the entire human condition, even with all the darkness and evil of the world, to experience death itself, and then to conquer death! Death no longer has the final word! The Risen Christ does! That's why the Apostle Paul taunts death: “Death has been swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” Until the second coming of Christ, we still encounter physical death, yet now through our Risen Lord Jesus, we experience death in a completely new way. As St. Paul proclaims, "We will not all die but we will all be changed." Christ is Risen and the Victor over death, and if we walk and live in Christ here and now, we will continue to walk and live in Christ even after our physical death!

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Keep alert; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14

The final advice that the Apostle Paul gives to the Christians in Corinth is "Keep alert; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." Our journey with Christ is a life-long marathon filled with many summits and valleys in the spiritual life. We need to clearly understand vigilance and standing firm in the faith are central attributes we need to hold on to. We will constantly be tempted. Don't ever think that your faith is strong enough, or that you've done enough good deeds so that you can become complacent. We have to stay strong and keep growing stronger and stronger in our faith. We live in a world that is so deceptive and alluring in its material and ideological confusion. Darkness is all around us. Be courageous. Stay strong. God is with us. If God is with us, and if we consciously strive to stay close to God, then we never need to fear anything! And ultimately, remember that whatever we do in life, let us do it guided by His Divine Love. We are beloved children of God called to share His Divine Love with everyone we encounter every day. Let us live up to our calling as Ambassadors of Christ, as Ambassadors of Divine Love!

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
O Almighty God, we praise and glorify You, Our Lord and Creator. All the earth and everything within it acknowledges You as Creator, the Eternal Father. Heaven and Earth, angels and all humanity, together praise and glorify You. We the members of Your holy family on earth pray: Make us worthy with all the Saints in Heaven, to reign in Your everlasting glory. We pray that You will bestow wisdom for our mind, strength for our will, love for our spirit, enabling us to attain the true peace of life which is from You alone. We praise with joyous and grateful hearts the Life-Creating Trinity: Father Almighty, Only-Begotten Son, Holy Spirit the Comforter, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

To keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.”
2 Corinthians 11:8-9

Saint Paul suffered from some ailment, some "thorn in the flesh," and he pleaded with God to take away his suffering. Yet, despite the fact that the holy Apostle could say, "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me" and "I have the mind of Christ," still God allowed this thorn to persist and bother the great Apostle. St. Paul suffered from it in order for him to learn an unforgettable lesson - “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” God's grace and power is made perfect when we realize how weak we actually are and humbly turn to Him. Weakness from society's point of view means nothing if we completely trust in God. Saint Paul goes on to say, "I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me... for whenever I am weak, then I am strong." The worldview of St. Paul was one of joyously accepting whatever life brings, including the thorns and crosses, because even these reveal all the more the grace and love of God for us!