Biblical view on vacations?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
In what ways can one give income to God?

I agree, but I believe there are various ways to give to God. My issue is that I feel that money can be put to better use in other Christian charities with low admin costs rather than church which has high admin costs. Generally speaking, we are warned not to give to charities with high admin costs.
Read Matthew 25, then look around you.

Get involved (physically and financially) in your church's outreach ministries.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
are you for real? to each, his own. complexities & variables will always exist in vacations & anything else. my interesting vacation story: i always called or visited my paternal grandmother. her & i had a special bond, my favorite person ever. so, eventually she was put in a nursing home in which i took care of her for 9 & a half years. 1 of my dreams in life was to go somewhere by myself for a 2 week vacation. so the Holy Spirit said to me, "you're free to go after grandma". so, very quickly, my travel agent booked me a 2 week vacation to St. Thomas. i enjoyed 1of the most memorable times of my life partly because i knew i was unselfish taking care of grandma & God "allowed" me to go. vacations are3 very much needed. if someone feels guilty vacationing, there is something very wrong. I've been on 27 vacations, 5 cruises & mini vacations & never felt guilty or that i shouldn't be doing it. time & $ spent on vacations could have been spent on better things? you have to figure that out before you go. if someone feels that way, something's wrong again.
Did you always travel with someone or did you travel alone?

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
To me it seems you are worried about something or feeling guilty because you have extra, but didnt you work hard for it and so do need time off? Dont overwork yourself
This is not true as I definitely work hard also overwork at times. The guilt is that knowing some people I know who prioritize giving over personal wants. I actually think some people I've come across forgo vacations and nice things in order to give to church and community. Giving/sacrificing for family isn't really that special as someone in the Bible said even pagans do this. That's why if you don't provide for family you are worse than an infidel.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Did you always travel with someone or did you travel alone?
almost always alone. there was that vacation & another solo vacation which was a cruise that i took between girlfriends.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This is not true as I definitely work hard also overwork at times. The guilt is that knowing some people I know who prioritize giving over personal wants. I actually think some people I've come across forgo vacations and nice things in order to give to church and community. Giving/sacrificing for family isn't really that special as someone in the Bible said even pagans do this. That's why if you don't provide for family you are worse than an infidel.
What that doesn't make any sense, why would you feel guilty over something somebody else does?
You don't have to go away or buy nice things when you use your time off to volunteer to give to church and community. Nobody is forcing you to buy nice things or have a vacation to go away, those are just extra things. It's just time off to have a break from work. If you want to volunteer and give your time to church thats good, but they aren't expecting you to do that either. Its your choice, so why feel guilty?

You can only feel guilty if you've actually promised to give your time or nice things to the church and but then turn around and not do those things.

Sometimes people do have to cancel their vacations and sell their nice things. Its a hassle but life happens and they also probably need the money. Because they are poor. Is it news to you that some people actually can't afford vacations and nice things because they want to give their time to others?

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
What that doesn't make any sense, why would you feel guilty over something somebody else does?
You don't have to go away or buy nice things when you use your time off to volunteer to give to church and community. Nobody is forcing you to buy nice things or have a vacation to go away, those are just extra things. It's just time off to have a break from work. If you want to volunteer and give your time to church thats good, but they aren't expecting you to do that either. Its your choice, so why feel guilty?

You can only feel guilty if you've actually promised to give your time or nice things to the church and but then turn around and not do those things.

Sometimes people do have to cancel their vacations and sell their nice things. Its a hassle but life happens and they also probably need the money. Because they are poor. Is it news to you that some people actually can't afford vacations and nice things because they want to give their time to others?
Well, I guess I am comparing myself to the poor widow who gave the two coins.

Personally, I find staycation a waste of time. I get enough of that during the weekends/or extended weekends. I prefer to use my free time to do something, either pursuing personal goals, traveling, etc. I generally don't like volunteer opportunities where I have to do a lot of physical labor/working, as I get tired easily. That kind of eliminates a lot of volunteer options. I do like interacting with people though. In the past, I liked being a greeter.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well, I guess I am comparing myself to the poor widow who gave the two coins.

Personally, I find staycation a waste of time. I get enough of that during the weekends/or extended weekends. I prefer to use my free time to do something, either pursuing personal goals, traveling, etc. I generally don't like volunteer opportunities where I have to do a lot of physical labor/working, as I get tired easily. That kind of eliminates a lot of volunteer options. I do like interacting with people though. In the past, I liked being a greeter.
well are you a poor widow? It doesnt sound like it, so, why are you even comparing yourself to one?!