Blaspheming at work

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I work for a global company, Cummins Diesel. Last week, my boss showed us a video message from the Managing Director at a meeting about treating others and especially of swearing and its place at work, apparently there's a zero tolerance for it. So anyway, after the video, my boss asked us if we had any thoughts and God granted me boldness to speak up and say, to also include saying Jesus in its improper context. He said it was a good point and will pass the message on...I hope it catches on and changes the culture there, though I'm kind of used to it...who knows the awesome implications this will have in store!
I'm sure any of us suffer with this at our works, how do some of you guys go about dealing with it?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I dealt with it by retiring! Not always an option I know, but it did wonders for me to get out of that environment.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Retire at 30? Haha yeah right! I think what I'm pointing to is the boldness to change culture.

Feb 1, 2015
I worked at a body and paint shop, it was the worst, I got cursed on a regular basic. Body Men are notorious foul mouths.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Breno, kudos for speaking up! Some of my co-workers have foul mouths, some even blaspheme. Years ago in a different context it bothered me, now my approach is that I don't expect unsaved people to act like they are saved. I find it makes them more open to hearing my perspective on things. Not saying that is the right approach for everyone though.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Yeah, I've been working on myself with Gods help to not judge unbelievers on what they say and do, mainly in my heart. Things like I can't believe they can say that or do that.
But at Cummins, they're like be careful what you say to others lest you offend them so I'm just taking advantage at what their trying to push, so I'm wondering what doors this could open!

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
I used to work for someone who used the "OMG" phrase ALL THE TIME! I finally told her that I found it offensive and she actually apologized and said she didn't realize it would be offensive to some people. She was real nice about it and stopped herself from saying it most of the time.

Now I'm self-employed, but sometimes have customers who use foul language. You just gotta let it roll off you back.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, I've been working on myself with Gods help to not judge unbelievers on what they say and do, mainly in my heart. Things like I can't believe they can say that or do that.
But at Cummins, they're like be careful what you say to others lest you offend them so I'm just taking advantage at what their trying to push, so I'm wondering what doors this could open!
Ah, but you fall into a worldly trap here. It's illegal for YOU to make THEM feel uncomfortable. But they are free to offend you all they want. Christianity is a near-forbidden sect according to this world, and as such falls under a different set of rules.

Kinda like only white men can be accused of racism, no matter how many times the black guy calls you a 'cracker' or the Mexicans call you a 'pasty whitebread'. They can say it - you can't.

S

Siberian_Khatru

One of my Taiwanese co-workers (one of many) tosses around G D it from time to time. It used to rub me the wrong way. As my worldview has changed (and continues to), I find it interesting more now that people not of "the faith" still invoke the name of God or Jesus. Evidently these names have power, regardless of what anyone puts faith into.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
That's why God says not to say it in vain - because there is power in the Name and one should not squander it wastefully!

longtrekker

Sep 23, 2014
If someone blasphemes who i know well/respect then sooner or later i'll say something - if it's a joe-blow offa the street i just let it go, otherwise i'll be at constant war with the world.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Make it into something spiritual. Tell the Lord that every time you hear His name spoken with wrong intent by someone, you will use it as a call to pray for that person.

Maybe they just need more prayer - and you might be the only one that is there to do it.

Watch to see how God responds in time to your prayers.

J

JeniBean

As the boss I have simply said if you wish to talk like a truck driver and it is not to clients that is your choice. HOWEVER I will not allow any one to take GOD's name in vain. If you do so I will send you home.

Now obviously that has brought numerous Freedom of speech, rights...etc. talks. So they push it and say it and home they go. Guess what you want hours and pay you will not do that. They all learn!