blasphemy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jpgillespie2

I am puzzled with the difference between blasphemy agains the Son of Man (which can be forgiven) and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (which can't be forgiven). What is the difference in the two if God,Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one?

K

kenisyes

They are one, but their actions in history are different. The Father created everything. If you blaspheme Him today, tomorrow's sunrise, or the order in the universe, will convince you you might have made a mistake. Jesus is a historical person. If you blaspheme Him today, tomorrow one of His people, or something He did, can convince you otherwise. The Holy Spirit is the ongoing comforter, convictor, and teacher of all things, and giver of many good fruits. He was poured out once, for all time. If you cut yourself off from Him, you lose all those things, and He is the only one meant to give them back to you.

Aug 15, 2009
Mark 3:28-30 28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: 29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: 30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Sometimes, the only difference is because Jesus said so. That's good enough for me.

N

nathan3

You said "the difference between blasphemy against the Son of Man (which can be forgiven) and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (which can't be forgiven). What is the difference in the two if God,Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one? "

Some people may say ' , that denying the Holy Spirit is some one that refuses Christ all their life, and dies.
Matthew 12: 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him:.. So its forgivable .

We know God is not willing that any perish but all come to repentance . Im sure you heard that a sin committed in ignorance is no sin at all. But, say you know better, right from wrong totally ;And you still choose to do the wrong thing, then its a bit more serious right ? Then add in involvement of the H.S. is more serious. but still don't make sense, unless you read these scriptures here.

They forget verse 32, of Matt 12:.
Where is says that to speak against Christ , it shall be forgiven them.

So its something that can be committed ; by those that Love their Lord Jesus Christ and Know better. coincidence or not Christ gives 7 events in mark 13, those aline with the 7 seals of rev. read them side by side to see.

You have to then ask; Know what ?

The blasphemy against the H. S. you can read about in ( King James Version ) Luke chapter 12: verses 8 to 12. It mentions a specific hour, and a specific act by a group of people; and the interaction between the Holy Spirit with those people at that hour.

You can read more , about that hour' , in Mark 13. Luke 21 , Matthew 24. As recoreded also in 2nd Thess 2:...

Revelation Rev 2: 9 gives some more details .

Acts chapter 2:, verse 1 to 21; was an example of what will transpire , regarding the Holy Spirit: is what is meant when you see the phrase in Acts 2:16 " this is that" in the KJV. '''This is an example of what Joel the prophet said would happen in the last days"". ( Joel 2)....

So If you want to know what this is then read again

Mark 13 : 1 to 11 In Acts 2 :17 -21, it would seem to be its just an example of that. Then just re read Luke 12:10 - 12 if you for-get .

You can kinda get away with not listing to Christ teachings here on earth and it can be forgiven as it says. But when it comes to those people mentioned in Mark 13, and the actions mentioned in Luke 12: , and the purpose of the Holy Spirit at the Hour mentioned. Then the stakes are high and it then becomes a very serious thing.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
I believe blasphemy of the Son is to speak evil of the actual things God does, or is claimed to do.
An example would be "(mockingly) Hey christian, why does your god allow bad stuff to happen?"
But not for a christian to struggle in prayer with "God why do bad things happen?" or even "God, why do you let bad things happen?" even "God, why do you do bad things?"
All the while not knowing or forgetting that there are secrets yet to be revealed.

I believe we are all guilty of this in some fashion and time or another, even in simply trying to justify a single sin.

I believe blasphemy of the Spirit is to speak evil of the Spirit of God, that is more so His intent than what we see.
I believe you are not guilty unless you really know His intent, therefore, fewer are guilty than on the surface.
If you are extremely frightful and careful because of this passage, that's good, because you approach God with humility and respect and carefulness, though the fear can be clean. A father won't smack a 7 year old in the face for being respectful. No righteous one any way. You know without a doubt He has the power but that He would never do that to you or anyone else who considers Him "my awesome dad!"

Some passages that relate to these blasphemies are pre-iterated in Ezekiel:

And ye shall know that I am YHWH when I have wrought with you for my name's sake, not according to your wicked ways, nor according to your corrupt doings, O ye house of Israel, saith YHWH Elohim.

And ye shall know that I am YHWH, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves.

See there is no darkness in Him, and arise!