Book recommendations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 30, 2023
Nottinghamshire
Halfway through this book and I think it's a good read for new Christians or any Christians I'm general: Jesus: a short life by John Dickson

God bless you and keep you 🙏

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Please also check out books by Smith Wigglesworth a very worthwhile read.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Yes, Kaniel I have! Kathryn Kuhlman especially. I of course do not agree with all of their doctrine, BUT!!! In the faith realm they are pretty spot on! I have tested of course and prayed much about this area!

One very important point to remember about faith!! FAITH NEVER WORKS ALONE!!!(Gal 5:6) The topic of love in relation to faith should be widely discussed. The mindset in love has no bounds, it is not a feeling kind of love nor does love judge! To achieve faith, one must first achieve love!! That is the secret to faith!!(1 Cor 13:1-8!!!) Thanks, Kaniel, for your interest!! Blessing by with you always!!

Aug 5, 2023
Cyprus
Yes, Kaniel I have! Kathryn Kuhlman especially. I of course do not agree with all of their doctrine, BUT!!! In the faith realm they are pretty spot on! I have tested of course and prayed much about this area!

One very important point to remember about faith!! FAITH NEVER WORKS ALONE!!!(Gal 5:6) The topic of love in relation to faith should be widely discussed. The mindset in love has no bounds, it is not a feeling kind of love nor does love judge! To achieve faith, one must first achieve love!! That is the secret to faith!!(1 Cor 13:1-8!!!) Thanks, Kaniel, for your interest!! Blessing by with you always!!
Amen and amen.

Have you listened to John MacArthur sermons? He’s a blessing too.

Aug 15, 2023
It's a fantastic read, especially for those who are just starting their journey with Christianity. The way it delves into Jesus' life and teachings is truly enlightening. If you're into books, have you ever explored the Game of Thrones series? It's not directly related to Christianity, but it's an epic fantasy saga that's captivating in its own right.

Aug 15, 2023
It's a fantastic read, especially for those who are just starting their journey with Christianity. The way it delves into Jesus' life and teachings is truly enlightening. If you're into books, have you ever explored the Game of Thrones series? It's not directly related to Christianity, but it's an epic fantasy saga that's captivating in its own right.
If you're interested, there's a comprehensive guide and analysis of the Game of Thrones books that you might find intriguing over at https://bookwormera.com. Thanks for sharing your book recommendation, and God bless you too!

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It's not directly related to Christianity, but it's an epic fantasy saga that's captivating in its own right.
I don't recommend Game of Thrones (GoT) at all...certainly not to other believers.

As far as stories go though:

The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is worth looking into. It's historical fiction set about 40ish years after the death of Jesus and the main character is the daughter of the widows son who Jesus raised from the dead. It's fiction like I said and definitely a love story but it also follows a "barbarian" taken from Germania who is enslaved to be a gladiator. Quite a bit of history and there is at least one Bible character meet-up but that's not until the end of book 2 I think. The book starts with the sack/destruction of Jerusalem. Theologically it should be fairly palatable to most Christians. It does open up some heavier topics though and depending on one's imagination I don't think it's suitable to read under a certain age. I don't think an adult would have much of a problem with it.

The only issue is for me is that I haven't ever been able to find a comparable book series.

God's smuggler (an account of this guys life) is worth a read if you like missionary stories. It reads so much like fiction that I'm not sure what to make of it.

Jungle pilot was a bit clunky to read but it's a missionary story also about Jim Elliot (Elizabeth Elliot's husband)

Foxe's book of martyrs I haven't read but it's a collection of the stories of martyrs throughout history and I'm hoping it's better than Jesus freaks by D.C talk which I guess is mostly geared toward teens/young adults. I've read that there are inaccuracies in it but it seems worth looking into

Oct 26, 2023
The Bible, as we hold it today, is esteemed by many religious institutions and especially Conservative Christians to be the inspired, inerrant Word of God. This doctrinal position affirms that the Bible is unlike all other books or collections of works in that it is free of error due to having been given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works (2 Tim. 3:16, 17). While no other text can claim this same unique authority, the Book of Enoch is an ancient Jewish religious work, ascribed by tradition to Enoch, the great-grandfather of Noah, which played a crucial role in forming the worldview of the authors of the New Testament, who were not only familiar with it but quoted it in the New Testament, Epistle of Jude, Jude 1:14 15, and is attributed there to "Enoch the Seventh from Adam" (1 En 60:8). The text was also utilized by the community that originally collected and studied the Dead Sea Scrolls. While some churches today include Enoch as part of the biblical canon (for example the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church), other Christian denominations and scholars accept it only as having historical or theological non-canonical interest and frequently use or assigned it as supplemental materials within academic settings to help students and scholars discover or better understand cultural and historical context of the early Christian Church. The Book of Enoch provides commentators valuable insight into what many ancient Jews and early Christians believed when, God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets (Heb. 1:1). As Dr. Michael S. Heiser in the Introduction to his important book Reversing Hermon so powerfully notes: For those to whom 1 Enoch sounds unfamiliar, this is the ancient apocalyptic literary work known popularly (but imprecisely) as the Book of Enoch. Most scholars believe that 1 Enoch was originally written in Aramaic perhaps as early as the 3rd century B.C. The oldest fragments of the book were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls and dated to roughly the second century B.C. This places the book squarely in the middle of what scholars call the Second Temple Period (ca. 500 B.C. 70 A.D.), an era more commonly referred to as the Intertestamental Period. This book will use the more academic designation ( Second Temple Period ) [...] The Watcher story of 1 Enoch, as many readers will recall, is an expansion of the episode described in Genesis 6:1-4, where the sons of God (Hebrew: beney ha- elohim) came in to the daughters of man (Gen 6:4; ESV). Consequently, Watchers is the Enochian term of choice (among others) for the divine sons of God. While the story of this supernatural rebellion occupies scant space in Genesis, it received considerable attention during the Second Temple Period [...] The Enochian version of the events of Gen 6:1-4 preserves and transmits the original Mesopotamian context for the first four verses of the flood account. Every element of Gen 6:1-4 has a Mesopotamian counterpoint a theological target that provides the rationale for why these four verses wound up in the inspired text in the first place. Connections to that backstory can be found in the Old Testament, but they are scattered and unsystematically presented. This is not the case with Second Temple Jewish literature like 1 Enoch. Books like 1 Enoch preserve all of the Mesopotamian touchpoints with Gen 6:1-4 when presenting their expanded retelling of the events of that biblical passage. The Book of Enoch is therefore intended to be an important supplemental resource for assisting serious researchers and students in the study of the Bible.

Attachments

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Has anyone ever read any books by Max Lucado? I am looking online for some Christian books to read and his name keeps coming up.
Any good books anyone could recommend me reading?
Many thanks all 🥰

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Has anyone ever read any books by Max Lucado? I am looking online for some Christian books to read and his name keeps coming up.
Any good books anyone could recommend me reading?
Many thanks all 🥰
He's a good writer. Before giving a suggestion, can I ask how is God at work in your life currently?

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
He's a good writer. Before giving a suggestion, can I ask how is God at work in your life currently?
He certainly has a lot of books.
I feel at the moment God is teaching me to be more bold especially at work. There are a couple of people at work who are Christians but most students and staff hate God and hate Christians too. I love working with the younger children 5-10 year olds teaching Sunday school at church but working with the teenagers at work is hard. Not sure how I can help them when I am not allowed to bring God into any conversation. I feel a bit stuck at the moment if I am honest. 🥰

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
He certainly has a lot of books.
I feel at the moment God is teaching me to be more bold especially at work. There are a couple of people at work who are Christians but most students and staff hate God and hate Christians too. I love working with the younger children 5-10 year olds teaching Sunday school at church but working with the teenagers at work is hard. Not sure how I can help them when I am not allowed to bring God into any conversation. I feel a bit stuck at the moment if I am honest. 🥰
One more question if you don't mind. If someone brings up the subject of God with you, are you allowed to respond?

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
One more question if you don't mind. If someone brings up the subject of God with you, are you allowed to respond?
If a student ask me if I believe in God I can answer. If a student is struggling with mental health problems and ask where they can get help I am not allowed to say God or bring God into the conversation.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
If a student ask me if I believe in God I can answer. If a student is struggling with mental health problems and ask where they can get help I am not allowed to say God or bring God into the conversation.
Thanks for sharing. A book that you might find helpful is Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. The first part will help you to experience God more fully and the second part help you recognize where God is working and join Him there.
I found this book very helpful.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Thanks for sharing. A book that you might find helpful is Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. The first part will help you to experience God more fully and the second part help you recognize where God is working and join Him there.
I found this book very helpful.
Thanks for all your help 🥰 I have just ordered a nice copy from Amazon. I look forward to reading it 😊

Apr 11, 2024
I can't call myself "obsessive", when it comes to Christian books...or any books, for that matter. I truly enjoy reading, but in the last few years I've had a tough time, slowing my mind down so I can properly focus. Aside from that, here's a few that I've enjoyed in the past, and some others I own but have yet to read...

The Case For Christ - Lee Strobel
I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist - Frank Turek & Norman Geisler
Stealing From God - Frank Turek
Heaven: Close Encounters of the God Kind - Jesse Duplantis
Heaven Is For Real - Todd Burpo & Lynn Vincent
Is God a Moral Monster? - Paul Copan
Tactics - Greg Koukl
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
Cold Case Christianity - J. Warner Wallace