Books? :)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
Before I make any threads, I decided to actually read a lot more to give a valiable opinion.
For those who do no know, i'm trying to become a christian.
Would you please write in the comments some awesome christian books? (The bible does not count lol )
So far i read, CS Lewis Mere Christianity. And I'm planning to read "Suprised by hope"

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Before I make any threads, I decided to actually read a lot more to give a valiable opinion.
Would you please write in the comments some awesome christian books? (The bible does not count lol )
So far i read, CS Lewis Mere Christianity. And I'm planning to read "Suprised by hope"
well, Jakob, there's a book that I'm really glad that I read, but it's a really sad book. One of the reason I liked it was because it showed hope in the midst of unspeakable horror. The book was called "the hiding place" by Corrie ten boom, and it was about a Dutch family who hid Jewish people during the Holocaust. Although it has many sad parts, it was beyond amazing to see the believes sustained by their faith in their Messiah. Jesus will do the same for His people now as well, Jakob :).

D

didymos

If you're honestly 'trying to become a christian'
the writings of your fellow countryman Søren Kierkegaard might interest you,
especially where he writes about the 'Leap of Faith.'

'A Leap of Faith, in its most commonly used meaning, is the act of believing in or accepting something intangible or unprovable, or without empirical evidence. It is an act commonly associated with religious belief as many religions consider faith to be an essential element of piety.

The phrase is commonly attributed to Søren Kierkegaard; however, he himself never used the term, as he referred to a leap as a leap to faith. A leap of faith according to Kierkegaard involves circularity insofar as a leap is made by faith. In his book Concluding Unscientific Postscript, he describes the core part of the leap of faith, the leap. "Thinking can turn toward itself in order to think about itself and skepticism can emerge. But this thinking about itself never accomplishes anything." Kierkegaard says thinking should serve by thinking something. Kierkegaard wants to stop "thinking's self-reflection" and that is the movement that constitutes a leap. He's against people thinking about religion all day without ever doing anything. But he's also against external shows and opinions about religion and in favor of the internal movement of faith. He says, "where Christianity wants to have inwardness, worldly Christendom wants outwardness, and where Christianity wants outwardness, worldly Christendom wants inwardness." But, on the other hand, he also says, "The less externality the more inwardness if it is truly there; but it is also the case that the less externality, the greater the possibility that the inwardness will entirely fail to come. The externality is the watchman who awakens the sleeper; the externality is the solicitous mother who calls one; the externality is the roll call that brings the soldier to his feet; the externality is the reveille that helps one to make the great effort; but the absence of the externality can mean that the inwardness itself calls inwardly to a person-alas, but it can also mean that the inwardness will fail to come." The "most dreadful thing of all is a personal existence that cannot coalesce in a conclusion," according to Kierkegaard. He asked his contemporaries if any of them had reached a conclusion about anything or did every new premise change their convictions.'

Source (also for more reading): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_faith
Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard

L

Lexi777

Hey Jakob! I have a couple suggestions for you that i think would be GREAT for you to read based on what we have talked about and stuff. :)

"Battlefield of the Mind" - Joyce Meyer

"Pilgrims Progress" - John Bunyan

"You can Begin Again" - Joyce Meyer

(P.S. Joyce Meyer writes a lot about changing a negative mindset to a positive one and how to over come that because that's what she used to go through and that's what you said you needed help with)

"The Judas Goat" - Perry Stone

"Walking with God through Pain and Suffering" - Timothy Keller

All of these can be found on christianbook.com

Hope these help! :)