Born Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 25, 2010
I thought CALVINIST'S wanted to be called REFORMED now.lol

Every time I hear the word Calvinist, It sounds like a name of a cult. No disrespect to you Calvinists, just what I think when i hear the name.0_0 Anyhooo, I like hearing messages from John Piper and Matt Chandler, who I believe are both Calvinists...

U

Ugly

I didn't really want this to be a pro/anti calvanist debate or anything along those lines. I felt 99% sure there was no scriptural evidence that a person can be born saved from birth. But i do like to verify these things since even i can be wrong sometimes =P
I considered the 'raised Christian' concept, but truth is that is not what these people are saying. They are saying 'since birth'. That is a very specific connotation. A person who believes they've been saved 'since birth' will not have actually likely made a conscious decision to pray to accept Christ, because they will have believed they've been saved 'since birth'.
Just seems to me a very fine line. I would hesitate, for example, to marry someone who made this claim as i would always worry in the back of my mind that there is a possibility they were never saved. Just living their upbringing.

Y

YahsPrincess

If one believes in election/predestination, then the logical conclusion is that you were technically saved since birth.
But wat duz scripture say? It is Yahs word and the final authority.

Feb 10, 2008
On the topic of being born again...

Why couldn't you be "born again" right after being born the first time?

Those who were receiving Jesus' message, and in the specific case of John 3, were adults. They didn't have the opportunity to be born saved, because until Jesus, there simply was no salvation for those not born saved. In fact, prior to Jesus, I think one could argue that everyone was saved or doomed at birth anyways(yes it was more complicated than this...). Jesus was providing an alternative. You didn't HAVE to be born saved. You could be baptized into salvation. Does that mean that nobody is born saved any more? I sure doubt it.

G

GreenNnice

I also fall into the category of Calvinist in some degree, although as Holly said I wouldn't be as arrogant as to say I know exactly how God works his plans. I just know that he knew before the foundation of the world that I was going to accept him and that I'm his work, not my own. I can't boast about how I came to God by myself.

I don't believe I was saved all my life though, I confessed Christ as my Savior and Lord only one year ago. I made a decision to serve Him. I lived in sin, and then I turned from it, and I think that any genuine Christian needs to make that decision.
I think that some people mean to say that they were raised Christian, and maybe they just don't remember the day when they started living for God since they were raised in church. But you always need to make a decision, wether you were raised in church or not. Since I wasn't raised Christian it's easier for me to pinpoint when I started living for Christ.

the world behind me, the cross be for me. the world behind me, the cross before me. the world behind me, the cross be for me. No turning back. No turning back.

my path is chosen, the lord will lead me. my path is chosen, the lord will lead me. My path is chosen, the lord will lead me.
God will mete out justness, and, JUSTICE will be for ALL, His justice, fair and complete, based on YOUR PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM OBEDIENTLY FOLLOWED FROM THE TIME YOU CHOSE HIM, BORN OF God after having shown Godly sorrow to God, being sorry for what done and pact with God not do again, which is explained in 2 Cor. 7:10 1 John 1:9

Let no man hath judge you of your relationship with Him, for Christ alone is Judge of ALL's destinies. He is my ALL and All, make Him the true treasure you keep.

The Lord leads, and, IF you judge someone whose profile says 'born Christian,' do not. Ask the Lord for answers of their chosen answer. Pray. He will ALWAYS tell you what to say to them. The power of God works so greatly through us when we be His willing vessel.

But wat duz scripture say? It is Yahs word and the final authority.
Yes, go to His Word and Him for all answers, James 1: 5-6, for He will tell you great and mighty things for YOU, your personal best way to serve Him.

Note: I appreciate others said words of their belief way, and, as kayM said, I eventually chose Him after He showed me so much of His way and power. , my process to FULLY choose God my Saviour started at an early age, born Christian, no, but born in Christian, home, yes. It took me until age 27, in May 1997, to fully surrender my life to God, being born again, and, that culminated with baptisms water and Spirit in June 2000
This is my belief way. May His Spirit lead you to walk with and be in Him . Take up YOUR cross and follow Him, miladies,, and, notmydudes :) :)

Sorry, if I offend anyone, I don't believe in predestination, God knows our destinies, this in His great foreknowledge and omniscience, omnipotence, omni-presence,

but I respect their belief, as long as they don't judge others. For then, like I don't like when guys attack the ladies on c.c., I will get 'green,' the Lord leads, and, I will let Him lead me to whatever will happen from Him :)

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wwjd_kilden

Maybe this is what they are referring to?

29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized.

and then they "forget" the fact that they actually went there, preached, and had everyone baptized

Feb 10, 2008
Maybe this is what they are referring to?

29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized.

and then they "forget" the fact that they actually went there, preached, and had everyone baptized
Kilden, sounds like this supports the idea of child baptism to me :p

W

wwjd_kilden

*shrugs* I don't believe in salvation through baptizm in itself.... faith is what saves.

Feb 10, 2008
Well, I guess we'll never know for sure, but it sounds like the Jailer probably had more than just a wife. Did his family consist of babies? Were they also saved by hearing the word and by the Jailer's belief/faith?

I dunno, but sure seems like you can't prove it false.

W

wwjd_kilden

I don't know :p I just said that might be what they use to support predestination.

I guess we will have to wait and find out. I know for sure though, if I have kids I will pray for them and have them baptized, even though I believe you need faith.

B

BananaPie

...they answer 'born Christian'. Implying that, from birth, out of the womb, they were saved. ...How can you be born again as a baby?
There is no existing or valid teaching in the Bible to support that a human baby forming in the mother's womb or a human at birth can be automatically a believer in Jesus Christ.

Perhaps those who are responding with "born Christian" are either misunderstanding the question to be "Where you raised in a Christian home?", or have simply been off in Bible doctrine all the years of their life after all...

A

aussieguy

wow so many things going on in this post its abit all over the place lol so im gonna try my best to answer the best way i can so apologies early if my post is all over the place lol
first off the original question being born saved i do not believe the word 'again' in 'born again' kinda gives that away
so as jesus said in john 3 as someone already mentioned that jesus says you must be born again to enter the kingdom of God and what is nicodemus' response how do one enter a mothers womb i second time? and he explains.. and the way we become born again is by looking at our sin before God and how we deserve to get the most punishment we deserve but realising also that God in His goodness came down and died on the cross taking which we absolutely deserve so that we might be free. which would cause us to break and thankful and upon repenting and putting out trust in Jesus we are saved at that moment and we then become a new creation
2 Corinthians 5:17: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
you a sealed with the holy spirit ephesians 1:13
you are then born again
now those who talk about being a christian straight away from being born in a christian family
john 1:12-13 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
showing not born of blood (meaning through family) not will of man meaning i cant deem someone a christian it must be with the will and from God alone.

the acts 16:30-33 about the household being saved it means those of his family, servants, and guests who could comprehend the gospel can be saved you have to harmonise things with other parts of scripture knowing how one becomes saved infants cant comprehend.

also that is mentioned is baptism one does not become saved from baptism, baptism is a response to becoming saved showing others and before God a testamony that you (being dipped) die with christ having sins washed away and rising up a new creation in christ it has no special power that makes you saved. if it was it then becomes a work, which you cant work for Gods salvation it is a gift eph 2:8-9

now as for predestination ... i believe in predestination/election now like some have pointed out we dont fully understand how God works and claim to know the definite truth we will only know these answers til we ask Him in glory.
but i do believe that God chooses and and predestines whom is His and who is not. people dont liek the thought of it this way cuz then it begs the questions does he predestine ppl to hell, and yes i believe he does.its a very scary thought but he is God this is his creation. remember the flood and droughts etc...
it is not a shock to him that john smith goes to hell cuz if it is a shock then He is not all knowing and if He is not all knowing than He is not God. For those who are his own there is still a point of salvation.
cuz if you were automatically a christian and you knew it you wouldnt appreciate Christ and God, He has allowed many different things to happen in your life to bring you to the point where you see how much even though these things have happend and youve sinned against Him, He loved you so much that he died for your sin. how much more do you appreciate and love him for the things he has done for you :) God predestined before the foundation of the world that he would make you His , if He didnt know and wasnt in control of that, again he wouldnt be God.

someone already mentioned epehsians 1:5,11, eph 2:10 also check out

romans 8:28-30- And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

i hope this isnt too long and all over the place and makes sense lol i also hope i helped somewhat abit too :)

A

aussieguy

apologizes also for the spelling and grammer mistakes its late at night here lol and i tried to go back and change them but you cant 5 mins after you post im sorry..