Brooklyn woman left with 6 months to live after hospital mistake

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

ChristianGuy0

Link to the story

On the morning of Feb. 2, 2010, Laverne Wilkinson was suddenly seized with chest pain while cleaning her apartment.
The single mom made her way by bus to Kings County Hospital, stricken with the fear she was having a heart attack. Doctors in the busy emergency department ordered an EKG and chest X-ray — and gave her a clean bill of health.
First-year resident Dr. James Willis assured Wilkinson that her tests were normal.
“You should take Motrin for pain, and follow up with your doctor,” Willis wrote on her chart.
He was dead wrong.
The chest X-ray, in fact, showed a suspicious, 2-centimeter nodule in Wilkinson’s right lung. The radiologist had recommended in his written report that Wilkinson have a followup X-ray in three months, and if “clinical concern warrants, a CT scan is suggested.”
DEBBIE EGAN-CHIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Laverne Wilkinson

But Wilkinson was never given this information. Not that winter day in 2010. Not during two years of followup clinic appointments, during which she complained of a chronic cough. Not from her primary care clinic doctors at Kings County.
When Wilkinson returned to the ER in spring 2012 — wheezing and short of breath — a new chest X-ray was taken. It showed the nodule was cancerous, had more than doubled in size and spread to her left lung.
Now the diagnosis was Stage 4 lung cancer — and it had metastasized to her liver, spine and brain.
YALE ONCOLOGIST: TIME IS CRUCIAL WHEN TREATING LUNG CANCER
As Wilkinson’s lung cancer galloped unchecked for more than two years, Kings County doctors botched her care, offering her cough medicines, inhalers and steroids in the blind belief that her ailments were caused by her longstanding asthma.
“I was shocked. I was told I had six months to a year to live,” the former home health aide told the Daily News in an emotional interview in her public housing apartment in Brooklyn.
Breaking down in tears as she spoke about her only child, a severely retarded and autistic 15-year-old daughter, Wilkinson sobbed, “She is going to be left without a mother. What is going to happen to my little girl?”

This woman has a 15 year old daughter who is retarded and needs constant care.. this poor single mother does not have long to live (in the natural) and she is very concerned about her daughter. Let's pray for this woman and perhaps God will show up and do a miracle healing and be glorified in this woman's life.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
She and her daughter are in my daily prayers in Jesus Christ is Lord.

God bless
pickles

P

psychomom

:(

I am talking to God about Laverne and her little girl. ♥

S

stevef

Praying that LaVerne is now safe and at peace with our Saviour in Heaven and that good people will come forward to love, care for and provide for Micalia.

D

Duckies

Praying for her daughter's safety and well being. I hope she finds comfort soon.

P

Powemm

nothing goes without His notice or attention.. He knows her very hairs..
And will keep watch over Her in this ..
Lifting all up in prayer and request
In christ

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Setting Micalia before God in Jesus's name for all that is His comfort, streangth, provision and His perfect love to fill her and hold her in this great sorrow.

God bless
pickles