Buddhism as Asian doctrine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Spokenpassage

Okay i will get alot of rejection, lets discuss!! In the bible it says that we have the law in our heart, Jeremiah 31:33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people." So for those who dont know Christ and havent heard of him like in places of asia or africa, they will be judged by the law of their heart. Buddhism is not so much on religious rites, but are about loving each other, and getting away from sin and lust and greed. Problem is they dont believe in any god. Buddha isnt our God but buddha is the one who is enlightened to the knowledge of escape, of which enlightenment is the escape from samsara (rebirth). Do think this could be the gospel to those who never heard of Christ in their life. Buddha talks alot about how we must live against sin, and strive for good and love. Its like the only law of good they have since places dont know Jesus or even what a bible is....

S

Spokenpassage

im not buddhist and im a christian, i dont believe in buddhism

Feb 13, 2013
There is some truth in all religions. I don't know a lot about Buddhism but they do believe in a heaven called nirvana. They also believe in a coming "messiah" as do hindus and muslims. They also believe in reincarnation which is biblically true. Michael and David are called "princes", sons of the King and have a role to play in the end times.

A

Ariel82

<face palm>

1. for people to be God's people they have to not only have laws written in their hearts but the Holy Spirit and a true relationship with God.

2. Buddhism has many aspects as a religion that would not line up with the Gospel message.

3. Buddhism is a works based religion and is more like Judaism than Christianity because it enslave people to the law of sin and death and does not speak of the NEW Covenant mediated by the blood of Jesus.

A

Ariel82

There is some truth in all religions. I don't know a lot about Buddhism but they do believe in a heaven called nirvana. They also believe in a coming "messiah" as do hindus and muslims. They also believe in reincarnation which is biblically true. Michael and David are called "princes", sons of the King and have a role to play in the end times.
so much in this statement is false.

yes there is some truth in most religions, but half truths mixed with lies, makes the whole thing a lie.

heaven and nirvana are totally different concepts

most do not believe in a coming "messiah" though you may have a few Mayahana Buddhist who believe in Metryea Buddha but none of the Thervadian Buddhist do because they only accept that there is one Buddha and not many. The "messiah" for Hindus and Muslims are totally different as well.

Reincarnation is NOT biblically true, RESURRECTION is.

S

Spokenpassage

Well actually heaven is called the land of buddha, they dont have a coming messiah its actually philosophy of life than a religion. And reincarnation isnt biblically true tho my sister. And Ariel, im talking about those who have never even heard the name of Jesus or the bible how God will judge them by the law of their conscious

U

Ugly

Do these people know right from wrong? Yes. Do they do wrong ever, sin, in other words? Yes. Only by accepting Christs sacrifice can they be cleaned from their sins and forgiven. This contradicts the concept that people following a works based belief system that has no Jesus, no crucifixion or resurrection is being lead by God.

S

Spokenpassage

Im talking about when a place dont know God. How can they recieve Jesus if they never heard of him? How will a chinese buddhist family know the bible if they never heard of Jesus in their life because of their government? they cant be washed by the blood of Jesus if there is no missionaries in their villages, you need to be more clear instead of using the whole need Jesus thing if they dont have jesus

U

Ugly

I know what you meant, and you were asking if buddhism is 'God writing on their heart'. To which i CLEARLY explained how that could not possibly be.
And 'the whole need Jesus thing'? Really? Only the key teaching in the bible and i need to stop using it? I'm done with this thread. That showed a great disrespect to God.

S

Spokenpassage

I know what you meant, and you were asking if buddhism is 'God writing on their heart'. To which i CLEARLY explained how that could not possibly be.
And 'the whole need Jesus thing'? Really? Only the key teaching in the bible and i need to stop using it? I'm done with this thread. That showed a great disrespect to God.
Im not disrespecting him, you dont have to be emotional...?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Im talking about when a place dont know God. How can they recieve Jesus if they never heard of him? How will a chinese buddhist family know the bible if they never heard of Jesus in their life because of their government? they cant be washed by the blood of Jesus if there is no missionaries in their villages, you need to be more clear instead of using the whole need Jesus thing if they dont have jesus
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
(Rom 10:14-15)

also I am reminded of...

The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.
(Mat 4:15-16)

These that 'sat in darkness' include all the Gentiles, Buddhists included.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Discussing the nature of God and ultimate reality is not an easy task with Buddhists as the two worldviews are so far removed from each other.

For those that don't already know, Buddhism is a reaction against Hinduism that traces its origin to a dissent movement against Hinduism started by Siddhartha Gautama in the sixth century B.C. after Guatama left his two high-caste Brahmin Hindu instructors when he discovered that it was unknown how to break out of the cycle of birth, suffering, death, and rebirth taught in Hinduism.

Gautama had left a life of great wealth and privilege to enter Hindu religious instruction in poverty and had seen the futility of great wealth but also great poverty to deliver him. So he chose the "Middle Way" and meditated for 49 days finally coming to the conclusion that nonexistence was the true escape. From this point on Guatama become known as the Buddha (e.g. Enlightened One) and spread his message for 45 years over the northern part of india until his death from food poisoning at 80 years of age declaring in his dying breath the impermanence of all created things.

Buddha's teaching became known as the dharma and sets forth a middle way free from extremes but open to all and leading to enlightenment and eventually nonexistence. (But not really nonexistence, but rather a merging back into the Brahama consciousness though I hesitate to go into that as it would take too long to explain it in one post).

Various schools of Buddhism have arisen and they take different approaches.

What the Christian needs to understand is that although Buddhism may be functionally theistic, even at times functionally monotheistic, at its deepest level it is clearly nontheistic. Popular Buddhist worship and experience may give the appearance of some continuity with Christianity, but the actual gap between emptiness of mind and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is indeed great.

Only the naive join in the common refrain that declares all religions are basically the same. In fact, while Buddhism and Christianity both claim the ardent allegiance of millions around the world,
these two religions are fundamentally different. To use religious language to mask this difference is to be unfaithful to both the history of Buddhist thought and the integrity of Christian revelation.

For example, Buddhist ethics operate apart from any absolute reality and Christian ethics are closely linked to an absolute reality. The Buddhist ethical system is like an onion that, after peeling back all of the layers, has no substantive core. In Christianity true knowledge is the basis for all ethical actions.

It's important to understand that the nature and existence of God and the reality of the world and self reverberate through the entire structure of a religion. Without true knowledge, these can never be truly known. In Christianity they are, in Buddhism they are not.

A certain rigorous consistency in a false religion is no replacement for true knowledge even when millions of people find that rigorous consistency compelling.

Okay i will get alot of rejection, lets discuss!! In the bible it says that we have the law in our heart, Jeremiah 31:33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people." So for those who dont know Christ and havent heard of him like in places of asia or africa, they will be judged by the law of their heart. Buddhism is not so much on religious rites, but are about loving each other, and getting away from sin and lust and greed. Problem is they dont believe in any god. Buddha isnt our God but buddha is the one who is enlightened to the knowledge of escape, of which enlightenment is the escape from samsara (rebirth). Do think this could be the gospel to those who never heard of Christ in their life. Buddha talks alot about how we must live against sin, and strive for good and love. Its like the only law of good they have since places dont know Jesus or even what a bible is....

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The word/thoughts is an impediment for the Buddhist in reaching Nirvana, whereas for the Christian the word is an integral part of his faith.

A

Ariel82

Revelation 14
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— [SUP]7 [/SUP]saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.”