bummed about my daughters high school

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SFmom

I think sports are important in a way. My son was a star athelete in high school. Because of his major now in college, he can't play. The dinners and banquets are fun and our school gave awards at them. He was proud of all of that and they are hanging up in his dorm room now. I know from his experience that the important things he took away from it was being part of a team and the memories he made while playing. He had to choose between music and sports in college and he chose music. If she seems to be enjoying the experience, I would try to be okay with it. The main concern in high is if your child is happy, not under peer pressure, and not being bullied and all of the other negatives that our young people face during high school. The more happy and stable she is, the better she will be able to choose for herself when she goes to college. I know he started college Aug 15 and he is just now getting adjusted to life away from home. If she has good grades and is happy, I would probably try to overlook what I was not happy with. But pray about it. God won't steer you in the wrong direction..

lv2ski

Aug 20, 2016
One thing more to consider, we have a christian school in our church and many pull their kids out over sports and prom,etc... they're so afraid their kids won't enjoy all the activities of this world. And guess what? Their kids most of the time end up loving the world and not come back. Spiritual health is more important than those vain things. Next thing you know you have a ton of people sowing who knows what into her head. Then of course there's boys....

The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore, when your eye is good, your whole body also is full of light. But when your eye is bad, your body also is full of darkness. Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness. If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, the whole body will be full of light, as when the bright shining of a lamp gives you light.”
Luke 11:34*-‬36 NKJV
http://bible.com/114/luk.11.34-36.NKJV

A

Ariel82

Sounds like you really don't like the coach....your daughter could play or different sport or use it as a teachable moment of how to deal with people who aren't too pleasant. When she gets a job she will have to deal with those type of people.

I wouldn't focus too much on comparing the two schools, but if it really bothers you perhaps you could help fundraise through a booster club to make improvements to the school?

Last edited by a moderator:

lv2ski

Aug 20, 2016
Leave the choice up to her and don't get angry about what she decides.
When you enter high school it's time to start making decisions that affect you. If she makes this decision she will have to live with whatever the consequences are for four years.
Responsibility starts :)
That's what I would want my guardians to do
One thing that you don't realize. As parents we need to interfere with decisions that have life altering consequences. This is one of those. Many things in H.S. fall into the category of live and learn. But not ones like this, or when choosing classes and electives. Especially when you are affecting environment and social setting.

And knowing your kid's friends' parents, that's huge! Especially at that age.

N

NewWine

Booster parents can have dinners for the team without the coach's permission. Y'all can invite him, and if he declines, then sobeit. Invite the parents too. Get involved. Get the students and other team parents involved. Make things happen. Start a pep program where students do a lot of the work to help raise school spirit. Start having pep rallies for the different sports. There are many ways to help a school without stepping on anyone's toes....this is a good thing for the school, so the administration will most likely approve it. It's worth checking at least.
Peace!!

CS1

May 23, 2012
what I would recommend is you volunteer as a Team Parent and do dinners and fun raisers. The Coach should have any issues with this in fact if other school in the same district do dinners the Principal could have to answer to the School Board . Talk to the coach and tell him about the "Award Dinner you would like to have.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Hi friends,
My 2 older kids went to a great high school in our neighborhood but I made the decision to have my youngest go to a different high school in the neighborhood. I just had her go there because most of her girlfriends are going there. They are very nice girls from very nice families(I know the parents) however, I struggle with my decision because the school is old, worn out lookin, teachers don't seem as professional. There was a lot more high school spirit at the other school. Plus the sports she in at this old school has the worst coach I have ever seen. He would not agree to a high school team dinner for the student/athletes to get together and have a fun day. All the other high schools have sport team dinners. If you complain he will take it out on your athlete. I been praying this coach would leave but so far I don't feel God is going to answer that. So long story short I keep thinkin about switching her to other high school but she doesn't want to leave. Her dad says dont move her. She does have some Excellent sweet girlfriends there. These are nice girls that are not into drama or gossip. So I try to tell myself its ok because of that. I'm not going to move her but I just wished her high school experience was better. I just love her and want her to have a great experience, education and memories.
Prayers are welcome-thanks
It's a sports dinner organize your own if something that inconsequential is this importAnt.

That's not good advice. She's still a minor and she doesn't know what is best for herself. That's a parents job.
gotta start sometime it's not like 18 magically flips a makes good decisions switch.

T

TemporaryCircumstances

One thing that you don't realize. As parents we need to interfere with decisions that have life altering consequences. This is one of those. Many things in H.S. fall into the category of live and learn. But not ones like this, or when choosing classes and electives. Especially when you are affecting environment and social setting.

And knowing your kid's friends' parents, that's huge! Especially at that age.
Shrugs
Agree to disagree haha
I haven't been raised by parents who cared to save me when I make decisions, so I guess I am growing up to have a different view

lv2ski

Aug 20, 2016
It's a sports dinner organize your own if something that inconsequential is this importAnt.

gotta start sometime it's not like 18 magically flips a makes good decisions switch.
Nope, but proverbs 22 tells us to train up our children in the way they should go, and when they areally old they will not depart. We teach them to make good godly decisions in everything they 5 do. Key word, train. Too much of the time we just tell and not walk them thru.

Example, when my daughter was in HS she took Psychology and dropped her Honors classes without our consent.....uh like no easy Jose! they lack wisdom at that age, and wisdom involves walking out your knowledge and understanding. Our experience is greatly needed by them.

lv2ski

Aug 20, 2016
Shrugs
Agree to disagree haha
I haven't been raised by parents who cared to save me when I make decisions, so I guess I am growing up to have a different view
I'm sorry to hear that. But that doesn't mean you have to land there. Sorry, HS kids aren't known for wisdom and experience.

T

TemporaryCircumstances

I'm sorry to hear that. But that doesn't mean you have to land there. Sorry, HS kids aren't known for wisdom and experience.
LOL I agree that's not what we're known for
This could be a never ending discussion haha

T

TemporaryCircumstances

And don't be sorry.
That's the thing.
I am glad I was raised that way, because through that I have gained the skills of putting aside bias and to be able to actually sit down and decide what is best for me based on the facts, and how to do that.

lv2ski

Aug 20, 2016
And don't be sorry.
That's the thing.
I am glad I was raised that way, because through that I have gained the skills of putting aside bias and to be able to actually sit down and decide what is best for me based on the facts, and how to do that.
Good. I do remember from an earlier thread that you go to a good church with a good pastor. Seek his advice on stuff or have him point you to a godly woman or couple 5 to help you. Notice Godly.....why? It's just wise, its not wise to do life and it's decisions on your own. Yes even at my age. I talk up life with guys and couples from church.

Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Job 38:2 KJV
http://bible.com/1/job.38.2.KJV

Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
Proverbs 19:20 KJV
http://bible.com/1/pro.19.20.KJV

Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war.
Proverbs 20:18 KJV
http://bible.com/1/pro.20.18.KJV

Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.
Proverbs 11:14 NKJV
http://bible.com/114/pro.11.14.NKJV

the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.
Titus 2:3*-‬5 NKJV
http://bible.com/114/tit.2.3-5.NKJV

Be careful about contending about years you haven't lived yet. Female counsel for you is critical. Older not from peers. It's God's wisdom and will for you.