By His Stripes We Are Healed!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Seeking2Serve

I felt encouraged to watch the Passion Of The Christ for the 2nd time last night. The first time being when it first came out 11 years ago. And while watching it this time I was reminded of the verse that says "by His stripes we are healed" which was mentioned by both the Prophet Isaiah and the Apostle Peter in the following verses:

Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1Pe 2:24
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Just like the first time I watched it, it was the whipping scenes that traumatised me the most, but the difference between watching it the first time was that I didn't have knowledge of this verse the first time. I found myself saying, "You mean, He suffered that so that I could be healed?" It is still an overwhelmingly heart-breaking realisation.

It helped me realise how detached we can become from the reality of what He suffered for us. For the first time I got a glimpse of how hard it must have been for the disciples who lived at that time. To have witnessed the miracles of amazing kindness and love, Jesus healing all of the sick and possessed. Miracles that our world still cries out for to this day. The hope it must have given to His followers, as they imagined the world being transformed into a paradise through the miracles He performed. Only to have to watch those hopes be dashed to pieces as you're forced to watch Him be crucified like a criminal.

How amazing it must have been for them to be visited by the Risen Christ. It gives me a deeper appreciation for when Jesus said:

Joh 16:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

God Bless everyone and kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 12, 2013
Amen to that......The Psalms also state...They made long their furrows upon my back........hard to fathom sometimes.......Jesus beaten beyond recognition, his back looked like a plowed field and all for the cause of making the way possible for humanity to be redeemed back from the curse.....It is not that we loved him, but that he loved us and gave himself for us.........!

S

Seeking2Serve

It's moments like this that I realise I don't know what real anguish and suffering is. Now I understand why the Apostles referred to our sufferings as light afflictions.