California... leading the way?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jimmydiggs

I had a discussion, with several classmates of mine, about Marijuana Legalization. I stated, that I was opposed to Marijuana Legalization. Most of my fellow classmates, were for Marijuana Legalization, and described their experiences.

What are your thoughts?

Marijuana legalization will be on California ballot | Reuters

T

Tierra

I had a discussion, with several classmates of mine, about Marijuana Legalization. I stated, that I was opposed to Marijuana Legalization. Most of my fellow classmates, were for Marijuana Legalization, and described their experiences.

What are your thoughts?

Marijuana legalization will be on California ballot | Reuters
I'm opposed to it also. But i know many people who think me saying that is just crazy. (alot of them do it or have at least tried it). I live in California.

L

lightbliss

If I smoked Marijuana, I'd be all for it, but I don't because I tend to cherish my brain cells and whatnot.

But making it legal, does the mean in medicine or anyone can abuse it (smoke it)?

V

Vidy

I'm not sure what I think on this topic. I mean, there are plenty of things such as alcohol and cigarettes that are "legal," though still not a good idea to use. Medicines are legal, but you can easily take alittle too much and harm yourself. We certainly can't expect everyone to use it responsibly, but would legalizing it increase the amount of abuse? I would never use it myself, and I don't know anybody who WOULD use it if it was legal. I just know a bunch of people who either use it illegally anyway, or wouldn't at all. Then again, I AM from the south, so I dunno how it differs elsewhere.

As far as the argument of "taxing it and getting more revenue." NO. You get revenue for a good 3 years, tops. It's a freakin' WEED. Anyone can grow it, easy. Legalize it, people pay initially for the seeds, and let it infest their yard. And legalizing weed and then illegalizing the growth of it would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of lol.

I think there does need to be change, though. They need to either crack down on it and really enforce the law more than they do now, or they need to just give up and legalize it.

J

jimmydiggs

lightbliss;302887[SIZE=3 said:
because I tend to cherish my brain cells and whatnot. [/size]
Agreed

lightbliss said:
Both. Personally I think there are better ways to ease pain, than use pot. Modern medicine shouldn't be solely depended on. I think we too often resort to tylenol, or motrin, to releive our headaches and sniffles. I, however, would turn the other cheek if someone was using it for that purpose, even though I don't agree to it.
As far as abusing it, I personally think it needs to stay illegal.

vidy said:
As far as the argument of "taxing it and getting more revenue." NO. You get revenue for a good 3 years, tops. It's a freakin' WEED. Anyone can grow it, easy. Legalize it, people pay initially for the seeds, and let it infest their yard. And legalizing weed and then illegalizing the growth of it would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of lol.
I love the argument, "if we make it legal, we would be reducing crime."

If we made murder legal, homicide crimes would plummit. Failed logic in my opinion.
Making anything legal, reduces crime.

vidy said:
I think there does need to be change, though. They need to either crack down on it and really enforce the law more than they do now, or they need to just give up and legalize it.
Personally, I'm all for cracking down. Within correct measure of course. That or split the country in two. One portion could be the pot smoking liberal hippies, and the other could be the conservatives. My view on this is invalid though, as I have very strong views about this, and my judgement is likely clouded over.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
I love the argument, "if we make it legal, we would be reducing crime."

If we made murder legal, homicide crimes would plummit. Failed logic in my opinion.
Making anything legal, reduces crime.

Mmm, well last time I checked there weren't too many large organised crime rings devoted specifically to homicides. That's a fallacy, and I think you know it.

It's not saying "legalising marijuana will result in lower drug possession offences". It's saying "legalising marijuana will put a stop to the illegal market for the item". The prohibition of marijuana causes a lot of problems, particularly when it comes to organised crime, gang wars, shootings etc.

Marijuana is not just a bunch of stoner hippies sitting around in a circle getting high as you suggest. It's a multi-billion-dollar criminal industry (just in my province, that is - I'm fairly sure it actually outstripped forestry, agriculture and fishing at one point in time), all created by the prohibition.

Criminalisation leads to an illegal market which, in turn, can potentially lead to organised illegal activities. It could be a valid point, it's only "failed logic" when you set up a fallacious straw man and knock him down.