Can believers place a curse on someone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I am only analysing scripture for meaning. It seemed to me that Jesus was irritated by the fig tree and withered it just because He could.
haha! :D

Jesus Christ is God, sis. It's never that simple, when He says or does something. and this is the only place in the NT He curses anything... so how complex is this going to be?
SO VERY MUCH in our lifetimes we are never going to get to the bottom of understanding it. but we should try, try, try!

note that the Holy Spirit makes sure to let us know it was 'not the season for figs'

2 Timothy 4:2​
Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
:unsure:
where else in the Bible is something "out of season"?
it will be related to this, i promise. God designed the scripture in an incredibly interconnected way

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
No True Christian will want to curse anyone -----we are to love --not with Human love either---but with Agape -----our enemies -----

Speaking negatively about someone-----is cursing them ----

God spoke negative words to the Serpent ---Eve and Adam and curses were invoked over them for their bad deeds -----

katara: a curse
Definition: a curse
Usage: cursing; a curse; meton: a doomed one.
a prayer for evil, a curse, imprecation: to utter curses ,execration -the act of cursing or denouncing. also : the curse so uttered. 2. : an object of curses : something detested.

We have to understand the power of our Words -----We are all energy ---when we speak words they are energized and go outward into this universe with energized power -----

From Google
Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate, and to humble. Words of love, hate, anger, happiness, or jealousy leave a deep impact on our life. Powerful, positive, and beautiful words can heal and uplift.

Keep telling a child that they are stupid ---and watch the results ------this is cursing the Child to fail in life ---a curse is pulling one down to fail ----

But here is the Good News -----No one can Curse a person who is Blessed -----All Born Again people are under God's Blessings and no curse can be imputed on a Blessed Child of God ----you can't be Blessed and cursed at the same time -----or either Blessed or your cursed

1706135440224.jpeg ------------

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Mathew chapter 21 verses 19 to 22.
Where Jesus cursed the fig tree then told His disciples they too could do things like that.
So did He mean in faith believing, a Christian could in theory curse someone to wither and die away?

If so, it means the power of Christ can be used to destroy life as well as to heal or restore life. I never have understood what the fig tree did wrong anyway!
I went years wondering that too MaryM.
There are often layers of meanings to what the Lord said. Sometimes there's the immediate surface meaning which can be literal. Then there's symbolic meaning and even prophetic.
Eventually a study helped me finally realize that, like many things, "He came into His own and His own received Him not...."
John 1

Back to the passage you asked about in Matthew 21, we see further parallels that Jesus gives hint to open up His previous references. It was a little bit cryptic about the fig tree until we see who the fig tree represents. The fig tree represents national Israel. He came into His own, Israel, and even their preachers/ teachers did not recognize Him for Who was described by all the prophets. Just like the preachers today, most of them preach a false gospel message even though they all have the benefit of having the bible available. At the time Jesus was upon the earth, He reached out to Israel first. How did they receive Him?
The same chapter gives understanding to who Jesus is pointing at.

43Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 44And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. 45And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Jesus told His disciples in His great commission to go into the uttermost part of the world.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
what advice? where? you are missing something. i never told anyone to cast a curse. i think you are reading between the lines & inserting something you think i said. peace to you. final statement: casting a curse is not Christian behavior. if you believe Christians can do that, then what else are they capable of doing? what other evil acts can they perform? how many evil acts they perform? where do you draw the line?
ok...what we have here is a comprehension problem...yours by the way

where did I say you said someone should cast a curse?

I guess you didn't follow up on post 4. ( not my post but easy to understand)

you are all worked up over things I never said and quite confused. later. much much later :rolleyes:

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
ok...what we have here is a comprehension problem...yours by the way

where did I say you said someone should cast a curse?

I guess you didn't follow up on post 4. ( not my post but easy to understand)

you are all worked up over things I never said and quite confused. later. much much later :rolleyes:
you said i gave bad advice. where? show me where. you can't because i didn't give bad advice. let's just part here in peace. this is why so many times i'm hesitant to comment. people don't get to the core of a subject & the responders are guessing at this & that. may you inherit the Lord's blessings.

montana123

Oct 9, 2021
Mathew chapter 21 verses 19 to 22.
Where Jesus cursed the fig tree then told His disciples they too could do things like that.
So did He mean in faith believing, a Christian could in theory curse someone to wither and die away?

If so, it means the power of Christ can be used to destroy life as well as to heal or restore life. I never have understood what the fig tree did wrong anyway!
A saint can put a curse on someone for I have did it many times cursing people until they experienced pain, and torment, driving them mad, and numbing their emotions causing them mental delusions, and physical agony the likes that have never been experienced except by the most dictatorship rulers, and making them crippled both mentally, and physically, to where they could not function but be curled up in a ball until they perished from off the earth.

Of course a Christian cannot curse a person for they are not to harm a person which they are to love their enemies, and feed, and clothe their enemies.

Mat 21:18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
Mat 21:19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
Mat 21:20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
Mat 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
Mat 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

This is about a fig tree parable, and has nothing to do with cursing people.

The Christian lifestyle is to not hurt anyone, and want the best for them no matter how they treat you.