can miracles be the basis for faith ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
i think our faith can be tested upto death as well , am i right?
That is almost the ultimate. The ultimate is when you lose your beloved child.

P

Powemm

God can do anything He wants.. I think it's a matter of WHO and WHAT we put our confidence in .. I no longer have a doubt about this but a knowing of what God Himself "with no help from anyone or anything in the world" can do.. That doubt will never infiltrate my mind again ..

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It boggles the mind just how many will say Lord, Lord, and call Him God Almighty, then limit what He can do, which is anything. Yahweh, God is all mighty, there is nothing that is hard for Him, amen.QUOTE=Powemm;969952]God can do anything He wants.. I think it's a matter of WHO and WHAT we put our confidence in .. I no longer have a doubt about this but a knowing of what God Himself "with no help from anyone or anything in the world" can do.. That doubt will never infiltrate my mind again ..[/QUOTE]

Oct 31, 2011
one more question ..... can we struggle for a miracle??????
Another way of saying this same thing is ...can we struggle to pray within God's power. Can we pray without praying amiss with no signs following. Or...does God ever give us something of His special power just meant for us alone.

I think that it can be yes to all of these, but we have to open our hearts, our mind, and our souls to God and make Him part of us and our being to do this.

B

Brighthouse

Sister Rinu! How is it that you ask can miracles become the foundation to ones faith? When you yourself are already living prove!!! The true foundation of faith in the first place does not come by what can happen,but rather dear sister by what has already happened!YOU!! Are you not God's own Miracle by God!

Jesus and Jesus alone created such in you! The new Covenant which we as believers are now under came with such a great price!! Jesus OWN BLOOD!!!!( hebrews 10:19-20,eph 1:7,eph 2:13) matthew, mark, luke, and john begin the new Testament,but not till the end of each book do they provide the new Covenant! The greatest gift given by God himself is his own blood!! Shed so that from his death, the new covenant could be made for us.

If you have ever had a loved one,and they have gone on,there will is read after there death,to provide for those they loved something that will give them great comfort,and remind them of there love for them!!Jesus did that for us sis!And even better! He rose to join his children in the rejoicement of that!

I plead the Blood of Jesus everyday in my life,for my health,and wealth,and for others in my own family.Because the BLOOD!!!!!! Is our New Covenant! Look close at psalm 91:1 what is that shelter? The shelter dear sister is the same as it was in the old Testament!! ( exodus 12:12-14!!! A what sister?? amen Permanent Ordinance!! Another words this carries on over to the new!! And carries his blood right to the very end to sis!!( rev 12:11!! May you see this in your life, and cover yourself as i do daily in his most wonderful bloood!! amen!

C

CDavid

can miracles be the reason or basis for faith???
i just want to know ur opinions on it :)
i just heard recently many of churches give so much importance on miracles !! wts ur opinion ?? go a head with ur comments :) hope i ll get a good answer :)
The miracle of Christs resurrection is the bases for our faith.

Oct 22, 2011
Sister Rinu! How is it that you ask can miracles become the foundation to ones faith? When you yourself are already living prove!!! The true foundation of faith in the first place does not come by what can happen,but rather dear sister by what has already happened!YOU!! Are you not God's own Miracle by God!

Jesus and Jesus alone created such in you! The new Covenant which we as believers are now under came with such a great price!! Jesus OWN BLOOD!!!!( hebrews 10:19-20,eph 1:7,eph 2:13) matthew, mark, luke, and john begin the new Testament,but not till the end of each book do they provide the new Covenant! The greatest gift given by God himself is his own blood!! Shed so that from his death, the new covenant could be made for us.

If you have ever had a loved one,and they have gone on,there will is read after there death,to provide for those they loved something that will give them great comfort,and remind them of there love for them!!Jesus did that for us sis!And even better! He rose to join his children in the rejoicement of that!

I plead the Blood of Jesus everyday in my life,for my health,and wealth,and for others in my own family.Because the BLOOD!!!!!! Is our New Covenant! Look close at psalm 91:1 what is that shelter? The shelter dear sister is the same as it was in the old Testament!! ( exodus 12:12-14!!! A what sister?? amen Permanent Ordinance!! Another words this carries on over to the new!! And carries his blood right to the very end to sis!!( rev 12:11!! May you see this in your life, and cover yourself as i do daily in his most wonderful bloood!! amen!
thnks for ur reply river stone :) , i do belive i m a living miracle , just by HIS GRACE :) but recently i am hearing lots and lots of teaching based on this miracle based faith , and was really trying to find out the truths behind it :) even i hope i can help even my friends to tell the truth on these questions , and thanks for everyone who shared their valuable comments here :)

Feb 19, 2013
i just heard recently many of churches give so much importance on miracles !! wts ur opinion ?? go a head with ur comments :) hope i ll get a good answer :)
Our opinions dont matter: all that matters is what the Bible says! and in this case, the bible answers your question.

1 Cor 2:1-5
And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. NKJV

This passage makes it plain that our faith is to be based on Gods power!

1 Cor 4:19-21
19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord wills, and I will know, not the word of those who are puffed up, but the power. 20 For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power. NKJV

so based upon this verse, i you do not have Gods power operating through you, you are not in the kingdom of God. For the kingdom of God is in power!

Elder1

H

HappyLuke

I'd say scientific evidence that you personally understand is the only really solid justification for belief, but, miracles you personally witness and are really sure you aren't mistaken about, can be a justification for your belief (although with such clear evidence as a confirmable miracle, I wouldn't call that faith but knowledge) - but miracles you hear through testimony should not be a justification for your belief, until you have confirmed that miracles happen in the here and now, with actual evidence. Until you've personally confirmed the existence of a miracle, it's unreasonable to believe ancient textual testimonies (even living eyewitness testimonies!) of miracles. That's why I'm an agnostic, because I don't know it to be scientifically confirmed that miracles can happen, I find Christian claims of miracles just as convincing (completely unconvincing) as Hindu claims of miracles, or... UFO abductions even. 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' is the mantra, and testimony isn't extraordinary evidence. If it were sufficient to believe miracle claims, you wouldn't believe only Christian miracle claims but allllll extraordinary claims.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HappyLuke

for example... Yesterday I was bushwalking and saw a mountain come alive and almost like Claymation, form arms and legs and do a cute dance, for half an hour, playing with the sun in the sky like it was a tennis ball. Do you believe me? (no) why not? - firstly because you have good reasons to think I'm making up a lie, from the context of this conversation.
Secondly, you wouldn't believe it even if I were a stranger that you didn't expect a wild story from, because it causes you to vastly change your understanding of reality, and it doesn't have enough supporting evidence for you to make such a dramatic change to your model of reality.

H

HappyLuke

That's what 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' is all about. I think it's mostly attributed to Carl Sagan, but he may have just been mirroring it.

P

paulr

The only miracle which stands out in my life is God saved me from eternal death. But i would rather term it as a Fathers love for His son. A father always provides for His children, our limited vision sometimes sees it as miracle. Our purpose (basis ) is different. Jesus came to re-establish our purpose that was to Love our God with all we have(which He has given) he performed miracles and even gave us right to perform miracles but that is only to glorify the Father in heaven. My experience is if I do love God with my mind, body and soul, my almighty Father provides with what I need. (Term it as miracle or His care for me)

S

savedNblessed

WALKING, TALKING, BREATHING MIRACLE HERE!:cool:
When I was three and a half years old, there I was lying in a hospital bed after going through an open heart surgery. My parents said that I was covered under so many tubes and machines that they could hardly see my little body on the bed. There was another girl, roughly around my age that I had befriended. We used to play together. She had gone through the same surgery a day before me and she didn't make it. You can imagine the fear my parents had experienced. But God had a different plan for me. Through my parents' faith and His grace I'm able to write this after 22 years that God gave me a new life. I have experienced many miracles in my life but the best one is me!!

Edited: YES! miracle could be, in my case most certainly is, the foundation of faith.

D

danschance

Sorry for jumping in the middle of this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents.

I don't think faith can be based on any sort of fact. If you can prove God exists thru science then there is no need for faith. Same with miracles. If I see a real bonafide miracle this alters my perception of reality to include a divine being capable of producing a miracle.

B

BlessedLovedByGod

#bible-truth
The
basis of Biblical faith is not in miracles and visible demonstrations of God's power.
  • Faith is accepting what God has said in His word. When true faith is present action will be the result. In other words faith if real will produce action.
We should walk by faith and not by sight. miracles does not happen everyday. does that mean you should lose your faith? .

rinu

Oct 22, 2011
thnks for all ur replys , this question was arised in me , wen i looked in the society and the different preaching, i can surely say that GOD's help is there with me always, and its by his grace i m here :) i do belive that our GOD is powerful :) i even i found many asking me this same questions, n seen confused of all different teachings :) i wanted to get a clear answer for it :) now i hv it :) thnks all:)

May 29, 2013
hi rinu my account banned i don not know why it is . miracle will work proportional to FAITH ONLY . GOD SEE /MEASURE OUR FAITH IN HEART.HOW GOD OPENED HER HEART DURING PAUL MESSAGE IN ONE PLACE YOU CAN FIND THIS IN ACT CHAPTER.SOME MIRACLE ARE USEFUL TO BRING NEAR TO CHRIST.

May 15, 2013
Faith is without miracles. If you see a miracle, then you don't need faith. Thomas had to see the wounds in Jesus hands to believe.

John 20:29
Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

D

danschance

When you see a miracle before your eyes, it is exciting. Can we use this as a basis for faith? I don't think so The problem is, many will be decieved by signs and wonders.
For false messiahs and false prophets will rise up and perform great signs and wonders so as to deceive, if possible, even God's chosen ones. Mathew 24:24
So be careful!