can someone please give me the meaning behind these scriptures?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sophia1993

well, someone shared this on facebook,

11 kinds of Bible verses Christians love to ignore - Salon.com

and i wanted to tell them about the actual meaning behind these verses. this article seems pretty ignorant, as well as the person who shared it. i remember seeing some of these verses on The Bible Rules on the History channel and it cleared up many misconceptions, although i can't remember now. help?

Feb 21, 2014

and i wanted to tell them about the actual meaning behind these verses. this article seems pretty ignorant, as well as the person who shared it. i remember seeing some of these verses on The Bible Rules on the History channel and it cleared up many misconceptions, although i can't remember now. help?
We need to remember that the New Testament believer in the Lord Jesus, under grace, is in a different order of things compared with Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

Blessings.

S

Sophia1993

We need to remember that the New Testament believer in the Lord Jesus, under grace, is in a different order of things compared with Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

Blessings.
thanks, i know that. just wanted to know the actual meaning behind those verses, rules and laws :)

Dec 9, 2013

The meaning behind many of these verses will come from the context of the historical setting of when it was written and the audience and purpose of the writing.

The point of the article, which I agree comes across biased and a little ignorant, is that we as a society would not take these verses or laws seriously today.

This is a challenge only to those christians who insist every word in the bible is to be taken literally and that every word is true for all people for all times.

O

Osiyo

@ Sophia1993, be blessed and why not? All these verses are taken out of context, without going into each one individually but all the verses that are listed there are spoken out as judgement and or warnings of judgement. One thing we forget is the fact that God won't accept any sin without it being repented and forgiven. He in the Old testament warned His people Israel, and when they did not repent, He would warn them, (they could not say that they did not know) and made offerings of blessings to back the repentance act, and if that did not get them to turn back He would then punish them just as He had stated during the warnings being spoken out.

It might seem harsh, but our God has always asked His creation to "be Holy as He is Holy", and he pleaded more than once in His Word, "come now let us reason together says the Lord your God" (Isaiah 1) come on, our God says to you or I or anybody, pull up a chair, sit, relax and lets talk about whatever might be bothering you? How many of your friends would do that or even speak it out?

And to top it off He says one important thing also: "My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts (Isaiah 55), He says this to Job in Job 38 (an amazing statement from our God to us, listen:

[SUP]2 [/SUP]“Who is this who darkens counsel By words without knowledge? [SUP]3 [/SUP]Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me. [SUP]4 [/SUP]“Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. [SUP]5 [/SUP]Who determined its measurements Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? [SUP]6 [/SUP]To what were its foundations fastened?
Or who laid its cornerstone, [SUP]7 [/SUP]When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy? [SUP]8 [/SUP]“Or who shut in the sea with doors, When it burst forth and issued from the womb; [SUP]9 [/SUP]When I made the clouds its garment, And thick darkness its swaddling band; [SUP]10 [/SUP]When I fixed My limit for it, And set bars and doors; [SUP]11 [/SUP]When I said, ‘This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!’ [SUP]12 [/SUP]“Have you commanded the morning since your days began, And caused the dawn to know its place, [SUP]13 [/SUP]That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, And the wicked be shaken out of it?
[SUP]14 [/SUP]It takes on form like clay under a seal, And stands out like a garment. [SUP]15 [/SUP]From the wicked their light is withheld, And the upraised arm is broken. [SUP]16 [/SUP]“Have you entered the springs of the sea? Or have you walked in search of the depths? [SUP]17 [/SUP]Have the gates of death been revealed to you? Or have you seen the doors of the shadow of death? [SUP]18 [/SUP]Have you comprehended the breadth of the earth? Tell Me, if you know all this. [SUP]19 [/SUP]“Where is the way to the dwelling of light? And darkness, where is its place, [SUP]20 [/SUP]That you may take it to its territory, That you may know the paths to its home? [SUP]21 [/SUP]Do you know it, because you were born then, Or because the number of your days is great? [SUP]22 [/SUP]“Have you entered the treasury of snow, Or have you seen the treasury of hail, [SUP]23 [/SUP]Which I have reserved for the time of trouble, For the day of battle and war? [SUP]24 [/SUP]By what way is light diffused, Or the east wind scattered over the earth? [SUP]25 [/SUP]“Who has divided a channel for the overflowing water, Or a path for the thunderbolt, [SUP]26 [/SUP]To cause it to rain on a land where there is no one, A wilderness in which there is no man; [SUP]27 [/SUP]To satisfy the desolate waste, And cause to spring forth the growth of tender grass? [SUP]28 [/SUP]Has the rain a father? Or who has begotten the drops of dew? [SUP]29 [/SUP]From whose womb comes the ice? And the frost of heaven, who gives it birth? [SUP]30 [/SUP]The waters harden like stone,
And the surface of the deep is frozen. [SUP]31 [/SUP]“Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the belt of Orion? [SUP]32 [/SUP]Can you bring out Mazzaroth in its season? Or can you guide the Great Bear with its cubs? [SUP]33 [/SUP]Do you know the ordinances of the heavens?
Can you set their dominion over the earth? [SUP]34 [/SUP]“Can you lift up your voice to the clouds, That an abundance of water may cover you? [SUP]35 [/SUP]Can you send out lightnings, that they may go, And say to you, ‘Here we are!’? [SUP]36 [/SUP]Who has put wisdom in the mind?[SUP][b][/SUP]
Or who has given understanding to the heart? [SUP]37 [/SUP]Who can number the clouds by wisdom? Or who can pour out the bottles of heaven, [SUP]38 [/SUP]When the dust hardens in clumps, And the clods cling together?

Wow, to have our Father ask you such questions, just think just to ask?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2014

You OP is bait since your OP admits that your misconceptions have been resolved.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
These laws were specifically given to the Hebrews, they were meant to keep them separated from the pagan religions, and keep God's chosen people pure & preserved until the time of Messiah. Deuteronomy 28:16-68 is describing the ramifications that would befall upon them for failing to keep the covenant. Its simply a warning; "But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee" (Deuteronomy 28:15). Its self-explanatory, there are repercussions to ignoring God.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Why go into a den of snakes only to come out asking for a cure? Of course they are going to twist Scripture.

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
(2Pe 3:16)

A

Ariel82

sophia it would take too long to untwist all those scriptures. it would be easier to just teach them the true Gospel message of Jesus redemption of mankind on the cross

Sep 10, 2013

1.) The way Ezekiel expresses in the whole ch. 23 is very ... gross and violent, indeed, but it also explains from the very beginning that the two women are symbols of Samaria and Jerusalem, daughters of the same mother (Israel). So, the symbolical meaning of the whole chapter is that Samaria and Jerusalem have accepted the religious corruption and contamination of Assyria and Babylon. The worship of idols (from the part of the chosen people) is often compared in the Bible with adultery (towards God). God is faithful to them, but they are not.

As for the curses in Deuteronomy, I think the level of understanding of people was very low and they were so inclined to sin that God used fear in order to keep them under His control and also in order to prevent them from doing the evil they were capable of (due to their fallen state). In other words, God spoke (through Moses) the language that the fallen, corrupted man understands.

2.) The laws from Leviticus seem ridiculous (for the contemporary reader) but they also bear a symbolical meaning.
The law that forbids to wear clothes of two kinds of material, or that one which forbids to plant two kinds of seed in the field reflect on one hand that God's law must remain pure and homogeneous (not with pagan influences) and also that we, christians, must cultivate in us virtues and not combine them with sin.

I don't have the energy to go on (maybe tomorrow), but I want to add something about the supposed "God's temper tantrums". God's anger/wrath is nothing else than the projection upon God of negative emotions specific of the fallen man. The metaphor "God's wrath" is used in order to emphasize the effects of man's actions that are contrary to the laws expressed in the Torah (Moses' laws).

I also want to remind you that we should read the Old Testament as a prophecy about Jesus Christ (God incarnated).
Luke 24,44-45:
44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”
45 Then He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures

2Thewaters

First off the article is satanic.

Satan is the accuser of the brethren

and the whole point of the article is
AHA! AHA! They arent even doing this or that we got you! you hypocrites!

that is satanic
so never talk or debate satan I clicked off the article as soon as I saw the spirit of satan the accuser

in general to debate is worthless.
what we are to do is correct the true hearted. If I answer your post, you are one that the spirit says to me is honestly decieved, a rough jewel looking for truth
spirits of dissension are ignored and should be.

but like this article, remember,
Foolish debates engender strife.

Jesus died for you to touch you heart and draw you to him. To try and prove our position to the cold hearted mockers is throwing pearls before the swine and they will turn and rend you and hurt you and attack you.
So they can figure it out if they just read the chapters of those verses

if they dont even bother to read and pray to find the truth I wont waste my time

needless to say all their scriptures are taken out of context. they are not in it for salvation and if you build a perfect argument over three or four days and present it to them they will just ignore it anyway. and you loose the oil in your lamp and will fall into sin depression sadness and loneliness
leave them alone unless the spirit tells you that there is a true heart

Jesus ignored the stubborn stiffnecked mockers and always searched fo the real kind heart sereachers for faith

if you get biligerance or contrariness just hit the ignore buton and they disappear and cant make you fall again.

Isa_58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
Rom_1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Tit_3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 31, 2011

Blessings.
Scripture does not say this. It says we have one God, that God is one. Christ talks of listening to Moses who is in the OT. Christ says nothing is changed. Scripture talks of things Christ replaced, but did not change. Paul says that not only is Israel God's people, but we are grafted into Israel. Being under law means that we are saved by law, and that has never been so since the day the world was created by God, grace is NOT new. Even the word "law" is not in the original language of scripture, translators use words meaning "instructions" or "words" when they translate it to law.

Please study scripture before you report what scripture says.

2Thewaters

Agreed
that is a hollywood fabrication of new theology so people can feel comfortable as they disobey their way to destruction on the train of the world whose coconductor is satan.

K

Kerry

Sophia you need to meet my son he is 21 as well and he loves God and he needs to meet a women that loves god as well. He looks like me so he is good looking I meant I walk in the room and every girl ask me out so he is not ugly and he loves god. just saying.

May 15, 2013
thanks, i know that. just wanted to know the actual meaning behind those verses, rules and laws :)
The verse from Ezekiel was using a comparison or something that we can relate to of what these two nations were like to Him. The Bible is not to be interpreted of the physical nature or by the letter (Literally), but it should be read by the spiritual nature. A person has to be born of the spiritual nature to understand the spiritual meaning behind he words. If you read by the physical nature, you will not profit nothing from its meaning because they aren't spiritually born, yet.

John 6:63
The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

2 Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Hosea 4:6
my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. “Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.

1 John 4:6
We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

John 3:3
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”