CAN WE BE VESSELS FOR GOD

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Q

Quickfire

Mark 16:17-18

Good News Translation (GNT)

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Believers will be given the power to perform miracles: they will drive out demons in my name; they will speak in strange tongues; [SUP]18 [/SUP]if they pick up snakes or drink any poison, they will not be harmed; they will place their hands on sick people, and these will get well.”

Mark 16:17-18

King James Version (KJV)

[SUP]17 [/SUP]And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
[SUP]18 [/SUP]They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

HI CAMPERS i read these two scripture and both would indicate to me that believers can do magical things, but some would argue not,

so can believers heal ??
is it the lord using us as a vessel ? is that possible,
is it the person healing or jesus ?

this i would like to know the truth both translations are on bible gate way .. so they are from a repitable source your thoughts pls

Last edited:
R

Richie_2uk

Answer to the title of your thread? Yes we can be vessels. But many people don't take that first step to become one. We can do anything in the Lord, with the Lord, and for the Lord, in his strength, his power, and in his might. But the question is?, our will! Many people want to do a lot for God, and to be vessels like you said. But its down to our will.

I pray that our will for the Lord will increase, and and learn and develope with the Lord and in the Lord. I think only then we truely can be Vessels for God. God has freely given that job title, there for the taking. There for the blessing of God. But do we really take it?

Good thread.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
If I recall correctly Jesus said that with enough faith we will do greater things than what he did. Plus you can read in acts how the apostles did these things once they were given the holy spirit. So yes we can in fact be vessels for God, all the authority Jesus had on earth he passed on to us when he sacrificed himself for our sins. People would rather think we cannot do these things because they have not seen these things for themselves or cannot do it themselves. But the only reason you don't see this often is because of the level of faith in this world these days, we can actually walk on water as well. everything Jesus did he did because he knew he could and did so to show us all the amazing things we can do if we have faith in him and the father.

Now personally I am not yet ready to perform miracles, plus there is no need for me to do so right now anyways. but there will come a time when I may be required of God to do these things, but not for myself or for my own glory but to show God's glory and to show what we can truly do if our hearts become one with his.

Q

Quickfire

If I recall correctly Jesus said that with enough faith we will do greater things than what he did.
greater things like being able to spread the word more, you know what i mean like, obviously Jesus started the process thousand of years ago but the greatness to Jesus was the word touching everyone :)

i think that maybe that maybe this scriptures mean believer having power means having the holy spirit, and people of the spirit can help to save by being good and helping someone when there at there worst pits in there life,, like a helping hand if yer know what i mean,, as for asctualy touching some one and healing them i see that as like a preacher talking to someone and helping them to be in an excepting and being in an excepting state where they can receive, you know like when they receive the spirit they are healed,

B

Brighthouse

Brother Quickfire, Remember Jesus asked but who do YOU say that I AM? ( Matt 16:15-17!!) You know the answer,and you know this answer the same way we all do bro. Holy Spirit lives inside of us to speak to us,for in so doing good brother,through our Jesus we truly become what we truly believe!! amen.

And we receive power from on High because we are his children. We receive these precious promises so that those who have not received, may see Jesus in us,and glorify our Jesus!( Isaiah 42:8) ( Isaiah 43:19) We are HIS new creature bro! Blessing bro

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
2 Timothy 2:20-21 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Feb 17, 2010
AHA! Crossy my man....
This is what I was going to show our friends on CC

There are TWO types of VESSELS. Some vessels unto HONOUR, and some unto DISHONOUR... And if you believe it or not, God makes them BOTH from the SAME lump of caly...

Some people think they have a say in what type of vessel they will be, but do they? God says HE IS THE POTTER.. can the clay tell the POTTER what to do? Especially if this potter is the PERFECT POTTER. He cannot make mistakes, but He does make two vessels... one unto honor one unto dishonor...

Richie makes it sound like we choose that vessel we will be, even when we are still part of the lump. Even before we are still in just a lump of clay.... And maybe he is right. Did God not say ... KNOW ME IN ALL YOUR WAYS AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART....

Now! This you ALSO has to consider... if you WANT to be a vessel of honor, you have to go and sit and male the ESTIMATION of what it would COST you to be a vessel of honor.... Let me just tell you FEW people are willing to pay the price to be HIS VESSEL OF HONOR....

God says if you want to build a bridge... first see if you can afford to FINISH IT... Now here is some of the price you have to pay... THE WORLD WILL HATE YOU FOR BEING RIGHTEOUSS FOR HIS NAME SAKE... And then you are not even a vessel unto HONOR YET! You have to endure the hate of the world... you did NOTHING WRONG, YET THEY HATE YOU. AND IF YOU ASK THEM FOR FORGIVENESS, you MAKE YOURSELF A SINNER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS IN THEIR HEARTS for you, YOU STILL ARE HATED...

Paul said.. for the sinners he became sinner, and for the righteous even more so... Paul said... To every person he spoke on their level... milk to the babies, and meat to the grownups... What did Paul do wrong to have been whipped 5 times? Was that his punishment for the sins he committed? Then why did Jesus die for him? SEE! Paul was a vessel unto honor, and Saul was a vessel unto dishonor... And the POTTER made BOTH...

If you people can see the difference between the two, YOU WILL BELIEVE IN PERFECTION... Saul was the PERFECT VESSEL unto dishonor, and PAUL was the PERFECT vessel unto honor.... FROM THE SAME LUMO OF CLAY.... WOW!!!!! God can really RECREATE A VESSEL TO BE PERFECT FOR HIS GLORY.... WOW!

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
Hi there... the simple answer to your question is yes.

The elaborated answer...

In 1 Corinthians 12 we read the following:
1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

Now to understand this... we must look at the ministry of Jesus. A gift is something that God gives to someone that asks. But it is not necessarily his calling or purpose. But for that specific time... God grants him the gift. Also in this their is very little responsibility involved. For example. Your sister gets some kind of lung problem. You pray to God and ask for a gift of healing for her. God gives you the gift and you heal her. Afterwards she's healed. Yet it is the first time that this happens to you. So some people ask you to pray for them for healing and nothing happens. The reason is simple. God gave you a gift. There were responsibilities involved. No methods was really needed. The fact that you believed on Him and asked was enough.

Let's move to the next level. So you start to pray for people on a regular basis and minister to people. As such you ask God to teach you how to heal. Now God starts to train you methods of healing and how it works just like He did with the disciples. He teaches you the responsibilities which you are held accountable for as well as the way things are done and give you certain rules you must adhere to (to mention one - you are not allowed to EVER ask for money or make healing a transaction in any kind.) that is a rule of God. These rules are set, and God holds you accountable for these rules. If you do them and use the methods God shows you... you heal a lot of people. But in this phase or level it basically works as follows. God points the person and you go and heal that person. Or if you wish to heal someone, now you have to ask permission to go and heal that person. God is extremely strict with you on this and tests you accordingly.

The next level which is operations is where you receive a lot of responsibility. God lets His healing flow on a continuous basis through you. However you behaviour and the rules do not fall away. You must still adhere to God's rules. Accept now the volume amount of people that you heal is to a much larger scale and certain sacrifices in your life is obviously made because of it.

This is to put it in a nutshell.

Understand that Jesus never said pray for the sick. He said heal the sick. Look at Paul's example. He waited until the man had enough faith and then healed him. Your relationship with God is what counts. If you have a relationship with God, then this is second nature. If you don't then you won't get further than gifts anyhow.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
What WordGuardian just said shows a good understanding of these things and expresses it well.

Yes God wants us to be vessels, and He gives us the gifts and miracles as the means by which we bring His will into the physical world. And as for anyone's ability to do that, don't worry, you have none. The power, the will, the authority, the ability all come from God. Our one and only responsibility is to have the faith to participate. It is God's power, will, authority, and ability that gives a gift of healing, our faithful participation is to lay a hand and speak a word to deliver it.

Why don't we see more miracles? Well, satan's biggest trick was convincing mankind he doesn't exist. But his second biggest trick was convincing Chritians that God doesn't do miracles anymore, at least not with our help. But Jesus was very clear about why peope don't see miracles:

Matthew 8:
5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6“Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.” 7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?” 8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
Matthew 8
23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” 26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. 27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
Matthew 9
1 Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. 2 Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”
Matthew 9
20 Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. 21 She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.” 22 Jesus turned and saw her. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “your faith has healed you.” And the woman was healed at that moment.
Matthew 9
27 As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!” 28 When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied. 29 Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”; 30 and their sight was restored.
Matthew 13
53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.” 58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
Matthew 14
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
Matthew 15
21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.” 23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.” 24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” 25The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said. 26He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” 27“Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” 28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
Matthew 17
14 When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. 15 “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. 16 I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.” 17 “You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.” 18 Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment. 19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” 20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Matthew 21
18 Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. 20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked. 21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Faith is the key. When you believe God can use you as a vessel of gifting, then he will use you as such and you will see it.

B

Brighthouse

WordGuardian?? You said Jesus never said pray for the sick??? james 5:15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick! While it is true that any healing is done through the Lord,prayer is done to know the will of the Lord in every situation,for without knowing the will of God by the faith which dwells within you,how would you yourself believe you are doing his will? This is why we pray.( mark 6:4-6)

Many believe just lay hands on the sick and if they do not recover it is there fault,but that is why Jesus himself taught us to also pray ( matt 6:10) thy Kingdom come ,they WILL be done. Depending on the situation it may be there fault,but I would much rather pray first,to examine my own self,to be in the faith to start with.( 2 cor 13:5) I am not Jesus, I am but a man! ( acts 10:24-26!) This brother is not a slap towards you in any way,I just do not like our Jesus to be miss represented in what he has said.Thanks.

Q

Quickfire

word guardian i think being able to express the word with an understanding that sometimes may be benificial, i just have to point out in my first statement post 1 that i made the statement that both passages would indicate that christians can do magical things,, well it as been pointed out to that some would say i was indicating sorcery or witch craft well just for the record no i am no and if someone wants to think that of me without asking then they can think what they like, because as far as i am concerned if someone thinks that without asking what i ment and that is there conclusion then i think your a dangerous person, i must stress that when i type i just flow with my words i do not stop, so i may make a mistake and my word guardian skills may be lacking so sorry for that,

but anyway what is magical to me is exactly what i said and that believers being able to heal through belief that they can reach people who have not come to Christ and help them to receive the holy spirit through prayer and through sharing

Last edited:
R

Richie_2uk

AHA! Crossy my man....
This is what I was going to show our friends on CC

There are TWO types of VESSELS. Some vessels unto HONOUR, and some unto DISHONOUR... And if you believe it or not, God makes them BOTH from the SAME lump of caly...

Some people think they have a say in what type of vessel they will be, but do they? God says HE IS THE POTTER.. can the clay tell the POTTER what to do? Especially if this potter is the PERFECT POTTER. He cannot make mistakes, but He does make two vessels... one unto honor one unto dishonor...

Richie makes it sound like we choose that vessel we will be, even when we are still part of the lump. Even before we are still in just a lump of clay.... And maybe he is right. Did God not say ... KNOW ME IN ALL YOUR WAYS AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART....

Now! This you ALSO has to consider... if you WANT to be a vessel of honor, you have to go and sit and male the ESTIMATION of what it would COST you to be a vessel of honor.... Let me just tell you FEW people are willing to pay the price to be HIS VESSEL OF HONOR....

God says if you want to build a bridge... first see if you can afford to FINISH IT... Now here is some of the price you have to pay... THE WORLD WILL HATE YOU FOR BEING RIGHTEOUSS FOR HIS NAME SAKE... And then you are not even a vessel unto HONOR YET! You have to endure the hate of the world... you did NOTHING WRONG, YET THEY HATE YOU. AND IF YOU ASK THEM FOR FORGIVENESS, you MAKE YOURSELF A SINNER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS IN THEIR HEARTS for you, YOU STILL ARE HATED...

Paul said.. for the sinners he became sinner, and for the righteous even more so... Paul said... To every person he spoke on their level... milk to the babies, and meat to the grownups... What did Paul do wrong to have been whipped 5 times? Was that his punishment for the sins he committed? Then why did Jesus die for him? SEE! Paul was a vessel unto honor, and Saul was a vessel unto dishonor... And the POTTER made BOTH...

If you people can see the difference between the two, YOU WILL BELIEVE IN PERFECTION... Saul was the PERFECT VESSEL unto dishonor, and PAUL was the PERFECT vessel unto honor.... FROM THE SAME LUMO OF CLAY.... WOW!!!!! God can really RECREATE A VESSEL TO BE PERFECT FOR HIS GLORY.... WOW!
Cobus, I am Sorry that you thought its sounds that way yourself, as you are the only one who thought different to what I was actually saying. What I was saying, God Has molded us right, and then given us the tools. it is our will that makes us choose the right path. Whether to follow it or not.

I did not make it sound that we are to choose the type of vessel, I said its down to our will. and Yes we can be vessels if we choose be. What you think Cobus is not what I said and meant. God bless